Hey, I have a quick question:

Whenever I alternate pick up a scale, each each string seems disjointed. As in, I can play the notes on one string quickly, though when I move to the next string there is a slight gap between the next notes.

Is there any way to fix this? I've tried slowing it down A LOT, but it still doesn't seem to work..

I hope I explained it properly; thanks in advance!
My Last.fm
USA Fender Stratocaster | Roland Cube 60 | VOX ToneLab LE
Obvious question, but are you using a metronome? That will instantly let you know when you're not playing fluidly. Maybe try out economy picking as well, but it would be really beneficial to have those alternates straightened out. Try dampening the strings and focusing entirely on your picking hand.
just practice on picking the outside of the strings, you say that it is when switching to a new string it is most likely that you are struggling to pick the outside of the next string in time (outside of the string means that if you play 3 notes on each string Down-Up-Down-Up-Down-Up-Down: the bolded strokes are the ones starting on a new string say descending).

To get better at this take a small passage of 4 notes, say 3 notes on the g string and 1 on the b string, like below:

-------------------
--12--14--15-------
-------------------
-------------------
-------------------

Play the pattern like this 12,14,15 on the g string then the 12 on the b string, and back to the g string again 15,14,12. Use this picking pattern Down-Up-Down-Up-Down-Up-Down. Keep practicing this, then try starting on an up pick, keeping strict up-down-up-down. You should notice improvement after a while doing this.
Last edited by Helpy Helperton at Dec 9, 2008,
Most likely you are keeping your fingers pressing down until the "end" of each string. Only one finger should actually be exerting pressure at a time during a scale run.

Otherwise it's because you haven't got the hang of crossing strings yet with the picking hand.
Thanks for the help!
I'll take all of that into account, and practice that exercise - thanks again!
My Last.fm
USA Fender Stratocaster | Roland Cube 60 | VOX ToneLab LE