I need an OD that can get some nice tones inspired by:

Jane's Addiction
Rage Against the Machine
Primus
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Pearl Jam

and more, but yeah...what pedal on the market can get that kind of gain and really nice lead tone.

I don't have a budget as I'm saving up but I don't really want to go over $200 AUD, but if I must, I will.

I've been looking at the Fulltone OCD and MXR GT-OD, although they expensive they seem to be pretty respectable OD pedals.
Some people like cupcakes exclusively, while myself, I say there is naught nor ought there be nothing so exalted on the face of God's grey Earth as that prince of foods:

the muffin!
Quote by Scream And Fly
Boss MT-2. It can do very good OD tones.

No it can't.

I'd look into the fulltone OCD more.
From the clips i've heard (and plenty of members here have played them and love them), it sounds very good.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Check out the Marshall Jackhammer. It IS a hit or miss pedal, but it does Peter Green Marshall Plexi sounds, Fender-y and Vox-y sounds, and the distortion mode is based on a JCM800, which is probably a safe bet for thicker lead passages.

Hope that recommendation helps!

^I'll check it out, sounds like what I'm looking for

EDIT: Actually, it seems to have gotten some pretty bad reviews
Some people like cupcakes exclusively, while myself, I say there is naught nor ought there be nothing so exalted on the face of God's grey Earth as that prince of foods:

the muffin!
Last edited by sebastian_96 at Dec 9, 2008,
Like I say, it might not be for you, some people do find them quite lacking, but I'd say they're a better choice than going Boss, because you get more versatility, and imho, better sounds.
Quote by BGSM
More importantly, what amp have you got?

Laney VC30

the muffin!
There are very few places (actually, none at all) that sell Fulltone products around.

the muffin!
I know very little about OD's (apart from the drug induced kind aha, but let's steer clear of that topic,) so I'm just going to give the obligatory OMG MAXON recomendation.

I'd pay attention to Darkarbiter though, he's got his **** in the bag.
Kid knows what he's talking about.

But yeah, I've heard good stuff about the Fulltone OCD aswell. A *LOT* of good stuff.
How does the Maxon OD-808 go?

Can it get a good Jane's Addiction, Living Colour kind of overdrive or should I keep on looking?

the muffin!
full tone ocd

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

fulltone fulldrive II. it is more versatile than the OCD, but i don't know if it would be better or just different. i haven't played an OCD yet. but i DO know that i love my fulldrive II and it's an amazing OD.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Check out the Marshall Jackhammer. It IS a hit or miss pedal, but it does Peter Green Marshall Plexi sounds, Fender-y and Vox-y sounds, and the distortion mode is based on a JCM800, which is probably a safe bet for thicker lead passages.

Hope that recommendation helps!

i have a marshall jackhammer and a guv'nor and the one that does the classic jcm 800 lead tone for me is the guv'nor, not the jackhammer, at least in my case. Isn't thr jackhammer designed to be kinda like a heavier metal pedal??
the mxr zw-44 is a kick ass od pedal more bottom end than a ts9 and less midrange than a bad monkey. sounds awesome with either slightly dirty amp or a clean boost behind it. BIG thick sound! works well as a clean boost pedal also i use it to boost my bad monkey or vice versa. lots of tonal options for a $150 bucks for 2 pedals.
I was looking at the Zakk Wylde OD pedal...what is the general census on it?

I heard it scoops the mids out and packs quite punch. I'm thinking of getting it actually.

the muffin!
OD-808 pretty bitchin' yo.

idk wtf u guys r smokin, my local GC sells fulltone ocd's
Well Enough Alone
I live in Australia.

And I want an overdrive that can get some fair heavy gain really, like in 'Pride' by Living Colour...something with some screaming sustain.

I'll mainly be using this as a high gain OD, as I'll use my amp's OD for cleaner, crispy tones.

So is the ZW-44 good for something like that?

the muffin!
the ZW OD should do that just fine, but if you're looking that route, DON'T forget to look at the MXR distortion + , which i'm pretty sure is what Randy Rhoads used on top of his plexi. and a fulltone OCD could prolly work just as well, but i have a feeling the MXR ones would have a tad more dirt which seems to be what you want.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Thanks a lot, I'll give a look at the Distortion + as well.

the muffin!
What about the MI Audio Tube Zone? Since they're made in Sydney, you might be able to get one cheaply second hand. I spotted one in a local shop for $140 second hand, might go and pick it up for myself. I use a Laney TF300.

EDIT: The tone Cult of Personality, Love Rears it's Ugly Head and pretty much all of Living Colours stuff is awesome.

You're name is Simon as well, we live in Australia, and you own a Laney...
Last edited by BGSM at Dec 10, 2008,
Quote by BGSM
What about the MI Audio Tube Zone?

I'll give it a look also

Quote by BGSM
You're name is Simon as well, we live in Australia, and you own a Laney...

the muffin!