So I'm browsing craigslist in my area for necks and bodies when I stumble across this:

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b149/infiniteposse/CL%20Nov%2008/IMG_0657.jpg

Now, the author says the neck (the one the left - that's the one I'm interested in) is in pretty good shape, but is not 100% sure of the source, and from all my observations, it seemed to be some American or Japanese pre-CBS reissue or something. A $100 for one of those necks would be a steal...

...until I saw this picture...

That logo is most definitely not silk screened on, as I believe Fender does. I would say that this is not a genuine Fender neck, and you'd get what you'd pay for...if it's too good to be true, it is.

Now, I'm not interested in genuine Fender parts, but also, in conjunction with the lack of a serial number or a "Crafted/Made in Japan" stamp, I'm tempted to say this is a Fender licensed neck, rather than legit Fender.

I'm relatively new to building guitars, but I do know enough about how they look to tell me something isn't quite right.

Would I be right in think as much?

Thanks, peace.
It looks like the Fender logo is a decal. I would be wary of that, but I'm not informed on Fender's process for their logo's, so it could still be legit.

It looks in good condition anyway, and they do look like vintage tuners, so it might be a decent find even if it's not an actual Fender neck.
When Fender was bought from CBS, the management bought it without the manufacturing facilities, so there were times when guitars were made all over the place and were still legitimate Fender.

The neck on the left looks like a "Southern Cross" Fender neck, made in the Giannini factory in Brazil. If that is right, then those are probably genuine vintage Kluson tuners - they had USA hardware on the Southern Cross models.
The neck on the right looks like a Japanese Fender neck, or maybe Korean (I'm going for that guess because of the truss rod adjustment being at the top).

I'm not a real expert, but I don't think there is any reason to say these are fakes. How the name was applied depended so much on the maker in those vague days around 1987-92.

If you get the serial numbers off the necks it can give more guidance.
Last edited by dotfret at Dec 9, 2008,
It's probably the guy who wanted to find the fender stickers online

but do what drywater said, check it out via serial number and see what you get
------

Shwiggity.
Quote by hunterman
So I'm browsing craigslist in my area for necks and bodies when I stumble across this:

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b149/infiniteposse/CL%20Nov%2008/IMG_0657.jpg

Now, the author says the neck (the one the left - that's the one I'm interested in) is in pretty good shape, but is not 100% sure of the source, and from all my observations, it seemed to be some American or Japanese pre-CBS reissue or something. A $100 for one of those necks would be a steal...

...until I saw this picture...

That logo is most definitely not silk screened on, as I believe Fender does. I would say that this is not a genuine Fender neck, and you'd get what you'd pay for...if it's too good to be true, it is.

Now, I'm not interested in genuine Fender parts, but also, in conjunction with the lack of a serial number or a "Crafted/Made in Japan" stamp, I'm tempted to say this is a Fender licensed neck, rather than legit Fender.

Fender always used water-slide decals. The SN on the head stock is pretty recent, only happened in the late 80s as I recall. CIJ Fenders are more recent than that.

With the truss rod adjustment at the head stock it is certainly NOT a reissue of any damn thing.

If it is some sort of fake it would cost more to make than what he's charging.

I'm guessing this is a product of Fenders transition years after CBS when guitars were built from parts sourced all over the place. Quality was pretty hit and miss then, so check it well. But if it is good, then it is good.
I'm not a expert on this kind of thing but it looks legit to me.
Not taking any online orders.