i was really tempted to impulse-buy a Fender guitar amp, just for the sake of it.

i think it was a Fender Frontman 15r.

did i make the right decision in leaving the store. Or should i go back and buy it.

I know its under $240, but i cant remember the exact value.

I only need an amp for my bedroom, i dont plan on travelling with my guitar or anything. I dont need anything too great or [anything thats 100Watts] as im still a beginner/intermediate player. Id like to have something with a soft and warm tone on the clean channel, and still have a nice rock/metal feel on the dirty channel.

would the fender amp i saw be good for that?
or do you guys have any other recomendations for me, considering the kinds of things im looking for in an amp.

i know i should probably plug in and try a few amps first .. but i would appreciate some suggestion too.

so, what do you guys think?
I have no experience with this amp, but from what I've heard from other people, you made the right decision by running as far away from the frontman as possible.

For a better Fender sound, look into their small combo tube amps.
Quote by imthehitcher
you truly are a prince of men

Quote by isuckhardcore
I get naked FOR my dog.
i have a fender frontman 25r (same thing as the 15r just bigger) it sounds great at low volumes but when you turn it up it turns to crap. its great if you just want to prictice in your room or something like that, but if your going to do gigs with it save your money and buy a better amp
yea its a good amp, but also look at roland cubes, they have some great built in effects (theres 6, like reverb, tremelo, etc). It has a great clean channel as well as metal, metal stack, distortion and overdrive. so check it out

Edit: oh yea, theres the microcube, 15w, 20w, 30w and 60w, but the effects arent in the 15w. Theyd be great for home practice.
Call me Cam
Quote by DirtyMakik
I'm Han Solo, Splamron's Greedo.

Han shot first. Greedo's dead.
Frontmans are not too bad, much better than Marshall MGs but I would not buy one.

What you want is a quality fender amp, no wonder all the current bands and reforming artists use them.
The cleans on the Frontman are good for SS (better than most for the price), but the distortion channel is insanely muddy and it's got very weak OD. Only get it if you're willing to use a distortion pedal.

If not, a Vox Valvetronix sounds like it's up your alley, as it has a good clean and good metal sounds. The Cube is probably better for metal, but the cleans aren't as nice.

Or you could look into a small tube amp like an Epiphone Valve Jr with an OD pedal.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by flea's trumpet
i was really tempted to impulse-buy a Fender guitar amp, just for the sake of it.

i think it was a Fender Frontman 15r.

did i make the right decision in leaving the store. Or should i go back and buy it.

I know its under $240, but i cant remember the exact value.

I only need an amp for my bedroom, i dont plan on travelling with my guitar or anything. I dont need anything too great or [anything thats 100Watts] as im still a beginner/intermediate player. Id like to have something with a soft and warm tone on the clean channel, and still have a nice rock/metal feel on the dirty channel.

would the fender amp i saw be good for that?
or do you guys have any other recomendations for me, considering the kinds of things im looking for in an amp.

i know i should probably plug in and try a few amps first .. but i would appreciate some suggestion too.

so, what do you guys think?

You made the right choice coming here and asking about it. The frontman isn't a good amp. For a bedroom player I recomend the roland cube or vox valvtronix amps. The cube tends to be better for the people playing heavy music while the vox is more of an all around amp. The both have reasonably good tone and are more than enough for most people just playing in their bedrooms or people in non gigging bands.
Not taking any online orders.
Hey,
I have a fender frontman 15 g and tbh there very crap....

The only thing that their good at is a very clean sound, just forget the effects though....

If you want to put effects through it best thing to do is only have the volume on nothing else
I have the amp in question (package guitar deal) and ive played my mates microcube, i say go with the cube. By all means try it though.
Smart man, stay away from the Frontmen.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
Quote by cmwang
If you want great fender cleans get the Champion 600

+1

that should actually be cheaper even...

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
get the vox valvetronix....i had a frontman and now have a blues jr. (great amp)...but my friend plays the valvetronix for hard rock and its awesome
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"
I second the guy who said a Vibro or Surper Champ XD. I just bought a Superchamp XD, looks like they raised the price though. On black friday it was $279 plus 15% off. It is an very versitile bedroom amp, it even has some decent metal and jazz tones. If you close your eyes channel one sounds almost just like a Deluxe Reverb. You also don't have to crank it up to make the best out of it. It can stay quiet, and also has enough power to hear over a drummer and bassist ( I tested this a couple days ago).

The Champion 600 has better "touch dynamics", it has a true tube preamp section. But does not have the versitility of the XD. I have hotrodded my G5222 (same as a champ 600) and it sounds great now. But stock, I was a little underwhelmed with them. The 6" speaker really limits it. But it's size is great, I have just brought that over to a friends house and sounds great playing with some acoustics and bass player with a small amp.
wow, im glad i came here. You guys are offering some really helpful suggestions.

So i went back to that guitar store this afternoon and plugged into the Frontman. I was disappointed with it The clean channel was decent, but its overdrive was really unsatisfactory.

im glad i walked away from it. I could almost tell it was a sh*t amp before i plugged in by the way the salesman tried to talk it up. HAha, anyway, i think i'll look further into the roland cube and vox valvetronix and the other amps that have been mentioned. But keep making suggestions guys, i really appreciate this.