Found a guy selling a lefty Epiphone Les paul near me... but the head stock doesnt seem right...

The truss cover has 3 screws. I know thats a sign for a fake gibson, but is it the same for the Eppi????

Here are some pics of the alleged Guitar.

Who would counterfeit an epiphone? Or Why?
1. buy cheap LP copy from chinese factory.
2. Rebrand to epiphone or get factory to do first
3????
4. Profit!!

or sum poseur tweet couldnt affors a real epi so the top two steps still apply
Can you tell if this one is fake? I dont care at all about the brand... just looking for a used guitar to trash around with... and I can use the fake part to kick the price down....

Plus its probally a good idea if people are aware of this stuff. I tried googleing fake epiephones, to see how they can be spotted (mainly the 3 screw truss cover) and came up empty.
Yes, it's a fake I'm afraid; On the real things the "Les Paul Model" is 180 degrees different.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Quote by necrosis1193
Yes, it's a fake I'm afraid; On the real things the "Les Paul Model" is 180 degrees different.

It's left handed.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
Quote by necrosis1193

you idiot he's one of those freaks we call "southpaw"
just play it, if it sounds good then it doest matter what band it is

and its not like anyone will notice
*Looks at top pic* Did I miss that? Huh, I feel stupid...anyway, I'm rpetty sure they don't put "Gibson" on the truss rod covers, so I think it may still be a fake, but I still feel like an idiot for missing that. XP

edit; That and, if those are stock tuners, their supposed to be silver, not black.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
That headstock is exactly the same shape as mine.
And mine has a 3 screw cover.
But then again I'm not 100% sure mine is genuine either.
It's the Tony Iommi sig so the strap button is meant on the horn,but it isn't.hmmm.
But it still sounds good so I'm happy
And I got it for a bargain.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
texzephyr-- Southpaw... yes, Freak... well yes again LOL

Quote by talbot466
just play it, if it sounds good then it doest matter what band it is

and its not like anyone will notice

Like I said, I am not going for a brand, (never have...) but it does matter when haggling for a price.

Its 2 hours away from me... i want to do my homework before driving 4 hours round trip to get ripped off.

Anyways he is asking $350 (CDN) for it... which is too much IMO.. (to be fair all I dont know which epiphone it is for sure...) cause it pretty beat up.. (missing knob, some serious headstock beatings)

I was kinda wanting to be able to do the whole, "well its beat up pretty bad, looks like crap, and its not even a real Epiphone... I will give you $50"
Last edited by stangconv at Dec 9, 2008,
That's real. It's just one of the older ones, from back when they still had 'Gibson' on the truss rod covers.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
That's real. It's just one of the older ones, from back when they still had 'Gibson' on the truss rod covers.

I figured as much... anyway of telling what model of Epiphone it is?

I always hate ads where people just put the brand!!! like is it a Special or an Ultra?
looks like a 90's lefty epi to me with retro fitted tuners - the 'epiphone' pearloid inlay on the headstock looks ok considering the picture quality.

I'd expect to pay 100-150GBP for it - knock 'em down for the dings, the missing vol knob and lack of original tuners
EPILPSTDYamahaRBX100BassTanglewoodTW28/STRFenderchamp600CubaseStudio5Saffirepro40AlesisM1ActiveMKIIMAudioKeystation88RodeNT1AShureSM57KeeleyModTS9MackieMCUwww.myspace.com/cuthbertgriswald
Quote by cuthbertg
looks like a 90's lefty epi to me with retro fitted tuners - the 'epiphone' pearloid inlay on the headstock looks ok considering the picture quality.

I'd expect to pay 100-150GBP for it - knock 'em down for the dings, the missing vol knob and lack of original tuners
I'd agree with all this except I'd say it was more early 00's than 90's anything. Most likely 2000 or 2001, the start of the main Korean run.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Can you get money off for that?

All things said it looks legit enough, but obviously play it before you buy. I would say try to get some extra off because of damage. Try to knock him down to $300 if possible.
Quote by MrFlibble
I'd agree with all this except I'd say it was more early 00's than 90's anything. Most likely 2000 or 2001, the start of the main Korean run.

I bow to your Les knowledge flibble - I stopped playing between 97 and 07 and I'm sure you're correct

How's the VOS doing?
EPILPSTDYamahaRBX100BassTanglewoodTW28/STRFenderchamp600CubaseStudio5Saffirepro40AlesisM1ActiveMKIIMAudioKeystation88RodeNT1AShureSM57KeeleyModTS9MackieMCUwww.myspace.com/cuthbertgriswald
Quote by JackalUK
Can you get money off for that?

All things said it looks legit enough, but obviously play it before you buy. I would say try to get some extra off because of damage. Try to knock him down to $300 if possible.

Yeah I wont buy it for $300.... I want something cheap
the knobs look too far apart.
i'm not sure about the truss rod cover, it just doesn't look right
and the tuners are not the right ones although he could have changed them.
then again i havn't really seen any old epis so i dont know if thats how they were
'And after a while, you can work on points for style.
Like the club tie, and the firm handshake,
A certain look in the eye and an easy smile.'

'You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,
So that when they turn their backs on you,
You'll get the chance to put the knife in.'
it's real .... i think its a korean model .. even better

gibson on the truss rod cover is norm found on korean models
It's real, it's a Les Paul Standard and 350 is a good price for one.

Go find another lefty Standard for 350. If you go to Long and McQuade, I can assure you that you'll be paying well over 500 bucks (+ the recent 20 percent increase to all Gibson/Epiphone products in Canada).

If you want to stinge out, then go buy a cheap guitar.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
It's real, it's a Les Paul Standard and 350 is a good price for one.

Go find another lefty Standard for 350. If you go to Long and McQuade, I can assure you that you'll be paying well over 500 bucks (+ the recent 20 percent increase to all Gibson/Epiphone products in Canada).

If you want to stinge out, then go buy a cheap guitar.

Yeah... but it looks like its in pretty rough shape...

Honestly.. I dont even need another guitar, and I dont know why I am looking, I have an Agile LP (which I LOVE to death.. I play it more then my Dean!)

BUT alas I emailed him for more pics, and bitched about how I dont need the amp, and how its so beat up.... so I guess we will see how it goes.
Quote by stangconv
Yeah... but it looks like its in pretty rough shape...

Honestly.. I dont even need another guitar, and I dont know why I am looking, I have an Agile LP (which I LOVE to death.. I play it more then my Dean!)

BUT alas I emailed him for more pics, and bitched about how I dont need the amp, and how its so beat up.... so I guess we will see how it goes.

A couple of dings here and there but nothing major.

The lowest he'll go is 300 probably.

If you don't need a new guitar, then don't even bother checking that thing out.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
A couple of dings here and there but nothing major.

The lowest he'll go is 300 probably.

If you don't need a new guitar, then don't even bother checking that thing out.

Yeah... sigh...

I dont even know what to say here....... I dont NEED one... I have some that I barely even play that cost more then that Epi would brand new...

But if I can get it for a steal of a deal, I will snap it up...but I wont be paying $300 dollars.

This is Alberta Canada... How much demand is a lefty gonna have...
Quote by stangconv
Yeah... sigh...

I dont even know what to say here....... I dont NEED one... I have some that I barely even play that cost more then that Epi would brand new...

But if I can get it for a steal of a deal, I will snap it up...but I wont be paying $300 dollars.

This is Alberta Canada... How much demand is a lefty gonna have...

A lefty obviously won't have much demand, but you can still ask for more than a right handed model could cost.

I had a whole crapload of guitars. I got rid of all but 4 because I never played the other ones. I felt it was a waste to have so many when I could sell them to some kid who would give them some much needed play time.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
A lefty obviously won't have much demand, but you can still ask for more than a right handed model could cost.

I had a whole crapload of guitars. I got rid of all but 4 because I never played the other ones. I felt it was a waste to have so many when I could sell them to some kid who would give them some much needed play time.

I got 3 electrics, and my accoustic. Thats not a WHOLE bunch... right?
Quote by stangconv
I got 3 electrics, and my accoustic. Thats not a WHOLE bunch... right?

Nope that's perfectly fine.

I had 8 or so at one point.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
It's probably a real Epi, Epi are not really worth couterfitting the people that do counterfit guitars counterfit guitars that usually go for 1000s of dollars. Faking and Epi wouldn't be worth it because they would have to sell it new at about $200.00 and probably loose money. The only thing that looks out of place to me is the tuners, they are probably replacements all the knicks on the HS tells me it got banged around a bit. The price is high for that guitar it's beat for sure. $100 to $125 is all I would offer for it if it was a right handed model being leftty it's going to be very hard sell.

John
It looks real to me but the tuners have been changed. They should be chrome like the rest of the hardware. It's probably an early 2000's model. It is pretty rough. I would have to examine it in person to determine if it's worth the price. If you go check it out in person here's some info on Epiphone serial numbers so you can figure out what year it was made.

Epiphone Serial Numbers:
Most regular production models since ca. 1993. Many '80s and early '90s serial numbers may follow a similar scheme,
but may not include a factory ID code.

FYYMMRRRR
F= Factory code (this can be 2 letters as well)
YY= year of manufacture (this can also be just 1 digit for '90s models)
MM= month of manufacture
R= ranking number (may be more or less digits, not necessarily indicative of total units produced)
Example - U02051234 was issued in May 2002.
I personally think it's a Chinese-built Epiphone from the early 00's, back during the Samick era. They had a pretty high quality, and the photos you put seem to show a good finish and inlays. Well worth $350 I think.

That being said, check the electronics for crackling, if they'll have to be replaced you can probably get him to knock the price down a bit.
Call me Callum

Current gear - 06 MIM Strat, '02 Epiphone Les Paul, Peavey Rockingham, Tanglewood TF8, BLACKSTAR★ HT-5 Combo, EHX Holy Grail, Boss DS-1, Arion SFL-1

Newcastle (and Port Vale)
Its just a thing as there arent many lefty guitars the price is higher. I know theres less demand but there is even less supply. 300 is to high then you may not end up with much of a guitar.
I just uncovered a Chinese fake Epiphone website called Tbargain.com. I ordered a 1956 Epiphone LP Reissue and they sent me a low-end asian LP copy with a very real-looking fake Epiphone headstock paint/logo and truss-rod cover. It came in a real-looking Epiphone box with paperwork to match. I did not know that anyone would go to the trouble of faking Epiphones. So beware and back your PayPal purchase with a credit card for this type of scam.
There is a sticky right at the top of the forum for fake guitars, no need to dig up threads from 3 years ago.