I got a B9(omit3) chord, but I want to write it in an easier way (something instead of "omit"). How?
C4C
Please check out some of my original music and leave me a comment @ SoundCloud
(or in my profile!)

Progressive|Thrash|Math|Metal
If I knew what "omit" meant I would try =P
Schecter C1 Classic
Fender Vintage -57 Ri Stratocaster
Fender Blues JR w/ 12"Cannabis Rex
Mad Professor Sky Blue OD
Wampler Ego Compressor
TC Electronics Stereo Chorus/Flanger
Omit means leaving something out. In this case, the third.
C4C
(or in my profile!)

Is it still a chord then?
Quote by razorback91
Im sorry, I just don't see how you could argue that hardcore isn't metal. That just seems arrogant to me.

Yes, its its own kind of metal, but its still metal.
Quote by BlisteringDDj
I got a B9(omit3) chord, but I want to write it in an easier way (something instead of "omit"). How?
I'd call that an A6/B

BTW, the three notes you never omit are the third, seventh and the highest note in the extension (if it's a 13th chord, don't omit the 13th, if it's a 9th chord, don't omit the 9th).
Quote by demonofthenight
I'd call that an A6/B

BTW, the three notes you never omit are the third, seventh and the highest note in the extension (if it's a 13th chord, don't omit the 13th, if it's a 9th chord, don't omit the 9th).

Well it wouldn't be called a 13th chord without the 13th would it
And I would like to say "never say never". I you don't want the third you don't use it. It's what sounds good(to your own ears) that counts!
Schecter C1 Classic
Fender Vintage -57 Ri Stratocaster
Fender Blues JR w/ 12"Cannabis Rex
Mad Professor Sky Blue OD
Wampler Ego Compressor
TC Electronics Stereo Chorus/Flanger
It's not a Bsus chord. :P

B - F# - C#

This is the chord. So, it doesn't have the 3rd, nor the 7th.

EDIT: It IS a Bsus chord, lol
C4C
(or in my profile!)

Last edited by BlisteringDDj at Dec 9, 2008,
Quote by demonofthenight
I'd call that an A6/B

What about the root??

You can't have an A chord without an A. If you say - let the bass player take care of it then you can leave out anything cause the keyboardist or other guitarist can put the third seventh or extension in too.

Anyway on topic...

A chord that has a 9th and no third is a suspended 2nd chord. The 9th is relabelled a 2nd in the absence of a 3rd. This is true regardless of whether where it is voiced.

A chord with a 9 and no seventh is an add9 chord.

EDIT: doh!! no seventh. Then it's not a B9(omit3) it's a Badd9(omit3)
B C# D# E F# G# A# B
Badd9(no3rd) = 1 5 9 = B F# C# = B C# F# = 1 2 5 = Bsus2
Si
Last edited by 20Tigers at Dec 9, 2008,
Quote by BlisteringDDj
It's not a Bsus chord. :P

B - F# - C#

This is the chord. So, it doesn't have the 3rd, nor the 7th.

Bsus2
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
LOL, I can't believe I didn't see that! xD
I'm so sick of arranging this arse song!
C4C
(or in my profile!)

Quote by backtothe70s
And I would like to say "never say never". I you don't want the third you don't use it. It's what sounds good(to your own ears) that counts!
The third is what makes the chord. It's not a matter of "musical freedom" or "never say never" or even "what sounds good," it's a matter of theory nomenclature and labelling what's already been written.
You should always look for sixths and thirds when labelling chords. If you see harmonic third intervals, the root of the chord is the lower of the two notes. If you see harmonic sixth intervals, the root is the higher of the two notes.
Quote by BlisteringDDj
B - F# - C#
B9 chord=B, D#, A, C#
Now take away the third= B, A, C#
Notice the major third between the A and the C#? Therefore Amaj6/B

Quote by 20Tigers
What about the root??

You can't have an A chord without an A. If you say - let the bass player take care of it then you can leave out anything cause the keyboardist or other guitarist can put the third seventh or extension in too.
I actually agree with you. I've been argued with, in the past, for including the root in that list. Thus why I didn't include the root.

Quote by Archeo Avis
Bsus2
If you can label it as a triad, why label it as some weird chord with a debatable existence?
As everyone has mentioned, its a Bsus2 chord.
However, you can also write it a B9(no3) if you are adamant about writing it that way, and I think in certain contexts it might be written as that. EDIT: I think this would be in terms of structuring the voicing.
Last edited by Cyberbob at Dec 9, 2008,
Quote by demonofthenight

B9 chord=B, D#, A, C#
Now take away the third= B, A, C#
Notice the major third between the A and the C#? Therefore Amaj6/B

If you can label it as a triad, why label it as some weird chord with a debatable existence?

But there is no A, so I don't understand what you're trying to prove.
C4C
(or in my profile!)

Quote by Cyberbob
As everyone has mentioned, its a Bsus2 chord.
However, you can also write it a Badd 9(no3) if you are adamant about writing it that way, and I think in certain contexts it might be written as that. EDIT: I think this would be in terms of structuring the voicing.

FIXED^ It absolutely must have a b7 to be a B9(no3). This is why everyone was including the A note to start with.
Si
Quote by demonofthenight
B9's always have b7ths in them.

this

intervals beyond 7 (b9, b11, b13 etc.) are always the higher voice. A higher voice is relative and without low you can't define high. To determine this u need a lower voice (1 - 7). For this you need the "dominant" intervals. which are the 3rd and the dominant 7th. A 5th is not really needed because ur mind will probably not hear a b5 or #5 harmony when those notes are played. Root not needed cause bass can do that task.

A 3rd will sometimes be omitted, because major or minor is based on the diatonic base of the key, so key signature + theory behind diatonic harmony and how chords are diatonically built already covers this. In such a case it's written as a b9(no3rd)

If u however do have a higher voice, but not a 3rd or 7th;You will call it add9. Simply because it's not considered in theory to act as a harmonical device, but just as a flavour note on top.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Dec 10, 2008,