Hi, people!

I've just written some sketches of songs in Guitar Pro... And what I want is to record guitar and voice, leaving other instruments synthetic.

But I can't find any way to open the gp tracks in WaveLab or Sound Forge... I think that SF is great for recording, but can I get there both live and gp tracks and edit them?..

Yeah, if this scheme of composing seems really exotic, please just tell me what is the way people use without having drums/keyboard...
If you set your recording input to "Stereo Mixer" you can play the guitar pro file and record as it plays, as long as your computer doesn't play any other sounds at the same time.
Quote by Skwisgaar Skwigelf
Fish don't gots no good metal to listens to.
Last edited by burntfacedog at Dec 9, 2008,
why dont you export the different tracks of your song into midi files from the gp file, then go to soundforge and import the midi and place it on different tracks. thats what I would do but I dont use soundforge :P

hope you find my comment useful
guitar pro to midi
midi to cubase

in cubase you could rec the voice, or any you want. the best choice, ( i think)
The problem here is, is that midi isn't sound.

Midi are commands to ur soundcard to produce sound. You can never edit midi soundwise, because it isn't a soundwave.

You need to record the playbacked midi file, before u can edit it.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Cubase, if u have the money, you can make much better soundin midi tracks on there too.
Hello
You can either export as midi, or if you want the guitar pro RSE, then export as a WAV or configure your soundcard so gp's output goes to your recording programs input.
Quote by Metalfreak777
Dude if i were you i'd look more at bands like Dragonforce, Dragonland, Dream Theatre and Power Quest, most of their songs are either in E major, A major, C major or D majhor

Last edited by Mayano at Dec 9, 2008,
Quote by bogik
guitar pro to midi
midi to cubase

in cubase you could rec the voice, or any you want. the best choice, ( i think)
Good sugestion, but cubase is notorious for getting worse through each version.

T/S, you might be better off with FL-studio (which imports midi's). The downside is that it has no notation editor. Great for hip-hop guys who know nothing about music, not so great for real musicians. It's also supposably the easiest DAW to use.

Pro-tools is reknowned to be the best DAW (these programs are called DAWS). Steve Vai uses Pro-Tools and alot of electronica bands use pro-tools. I'm pretty sure it has everything and will run every VST. The downside? It's damn complicated to use.

Anyway, that's what I do. Write my stuff using the notation editor in guitar-pro (powertab will also work well), export it to midi, import in FL-studio (I'm not game to try pro-tools, I struggle with FL) and apply some VST's.
Quote by demonofthenight
T/S, you might be better off with FL-studio (which imports midi's). The downside is that it has no notation editor. Great for hip-hop guys who know nothing about music, not so great for real musicians. It's also supposably the easiest DAW to use.

Thanks!!! My midi in FL looks good and sound is working!
But actually in the huge number of instruments, which are presented there I can't find everything I want... Most of them are too electronic and sound very strange...
Sorry if my question is too stupid, but does the FL instrument database enough for writing whatever I want?.. That synthetic keyboard sounds make me sick...

Also wanted to ask - how people write drums there? Using default drum instrument and write in piano roll?

Actually, I need this only for drums and keyboards...

Quote by demonofthenight

Pro-tools is reknowned to be the best DAW (these programs are called DAWS). Steve Vai uses Pro-Tools and alot of electronica bands use pro-tools. I'm pretty sure it has everything and will run every VST. The downside? It's damn complicated to use.

And it's damn expencive!
Quote by Sashkello
Thanks!!! My midi in FL looks good and sound is working!
But actually in the huge number of instruments, which are presented there I can't find everything I want... Most of them are too electronic and sound very strange...
Sorry if my question is too stupid, but does the FL instrument database enough for writing whatever I want?.. That synthetic keyboard sounds make me sick...
You can download extra vst's (don't get demo vst's) and soundfonts. I'd recommend soundfonts because they're easier to use.
Quote by Sashkello
Also wanted to ask - how people write drums there? Using default drum instrument and write in piano roll?
The sequencer you see when you first open fl does drums well. Than you add your drums as a pattern and add it to where you add the other patterns (sorry if this isn't too helpfull, I'm an FL noob)
Quote by Sashkello
And it's damn expencive!
Not if you aquire it from the torrent shop. They're selling it for very cheap.