Page 1 of 2
Hello GG&A,

As some of you may know, I go through gear fast. Albeit, this time, it came a little sooner than I expected.

I recently bought a Marshall JCM 800 combo and was quite happy with it until I went to a local guitar store and plugged an Orange Rockerverb 50 in. The Orange completely destroyed my Marshall and I wasn't even playing loud.

Now I'm looking at buying an Orange, but 50 watts is pushing it a bit for me so my question is, 'Can I get a similar tone with the Rocker 30?'. Can the Rocker 30 do cleans, metal and everything in between to satisfy my chameleon like tone tastes?

Right now, the amps I'm Considering are the Rockerverb 50, the Rocker 30, a Laney GH50L and a Mesa/Boogie of some sort.

I'm leaning more towards the Rockerverb and the Laney but if the Rocker 30 is very similar to the Rockerverb 50, then I'm going to have to pull the trigger.

Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
My God man!!! GAS got you bad eh!!!!

Haven't played on a R'verb so couldn't help you but I should imagine the 30 watter not going to be that different. I have to say my personal choice would be the Laney - I adore their products! And Mr Iommi is a fanboi and he's a hero of mine. But I'm sure you would be well pleased with the Orange - another quality product. Can't go wrong really!
I think the main differance is that the 30 is class A and the 50 is A/B...I think correct me if I'm wrong.But overal they are one of the best amps you can get today IMO.
Ibanez RGA 8 (Dimarzio D Activator 8)->Rocktron Hush->Engl E530 preamp->Marshall 9200 poweramp->Marshall 4x12 closed back cab w/ G12t75's
Quote by UnicronAlliance
My God man!!! GAS got you bad eh!!!!

Haven't played on a R'verb so couldn't help you but I should imagine the 30 watter not going to be that different. I have to say my personal choice would be the Laney - I adore their products! And Mr Iommi is a fanboi and he's a hero of mine. But I'm sure you would be well pleased with the Orange - another quality product. Can't go wrong really!

The only qualms I have about the Laney is that fizzy gain character, the excessive brightness, and the noise. I had a VH100R and got rid of it for those reasons. I'm hoping the GH50L would not be similar but I know better.

Quote by tobuei

Watching now.

I'd rather not make my judgment on youtube videos though.

Quote by K!nj!
I think the main differance is that the 30 is class A and the 50 is A/B...I think correct me if I'm wrong.But overal they are one of the best amps you can get today IMO.

Orange says Class 'A' but 4 EL84 tubes =/= Class A IMHO. Class A is one power tube.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Well I was kinda confused actually because it can get very hi gain if you want to.
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=3QAac2pycdM
the guy in the upper screen uses and orange 30 in this vid but live he uses a rockerverb 100
Ibanez RGA 8 (Dimarzio D Activator 8)->Rocktron Hush->Engl E530 preamp->Marshall 9200 poweramp->Marshall 4x12 closed back cab w/ G12t75's
Quote by K!nj!
Well I was kinda confused actually because it can get very hi gain if you want to.
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=3QAac2pycdM
the guy in the upper screen uses and orange 30 in this vid but live he uses a rockerverb 100

The video says Rockerverb 50.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Yeah it does ,sorry thought he used a 30 here.
Quote by K!nj!
Yeah it does ,sorry thought he used a 30 here.

No problem.

I think I'll probably take a chance and buy the 30. Somebody is going to take a look at my Marshall soon so when it's gone and I have the money, I'll be Back in Orange.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Get a THD Hot Plate for your JCM 800 it will sound great. Your probably just not turning it up loud enough.
I know what you mean - the VH100's can get a bit fizzy and I found that you had to fiddle (mesa like!) with your settings to try and flatten it out when you're playing balls to the wall. But I didn't find the GH to have this problem. Although the cleans are bright on it anyway. I'd still like you to try it out and hear your opinion - and so that you can say "well I tried it and did / didn't like" it, and then make your purchase. But then again I'm a worrier about things like that. I'd keep thinking "what if..." if I hadn't tried all my options!
Quote by UnicronAlliance
I know what you mean - the VH100's can get a bit fizzy and I found that you had to fiddle (mesa like!) with your settings to try and flatten it out when you're playing balls to the wall. But I didn't find the GH to have this problem. Although the cleans are bright on it anyway. I'd still like you to try it out and hear your opinion - and so that you can say "well I tried it and did / didn't like" it, and then make your purchase. But then again I'm a worrier about things like that. I'd keep thinking "what if..." if I hadn't tried all my options!

I can't really try Laneys up here. Nobody has them and I came about the VH100R by dumb luck.

Quote by Mase947
Get a THD Hot Plate for your JCM 800 it will sound great. Your probably just not turning it up loud enough.

I play it at 10... That's plenty loud buddy.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I can't really try Laneys up here. Nobody has them and I came about the VH100R by dumb luck.

Fair enough. You could try the 'net shops and use the return policy but that can be a hassle and a few bucks! That's if you were desperate to try the Laney.

I think you will be more than happy with the Orange though - so gratz in advance of your latest bout of GAS!
Quote by UnicronAlliance
Fair enough. You could try the 'net shops and use the return policy but that can be a hassle and a few bucks! That's if you were desperate to try the Laney.

I think you will be more than happy with the Orange though - so gratz in advance of your latest bout of GAS!

I think I'll be happy with the Orange too if it's anything like it's bigger brother.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
The Rocker 30 doesn't have as much gain as the RV50.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Budget? What kind of music do you play? Maybe a used Classic 30.

Yes, buy the Rocker 30, and send me your JCM.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
Last edited by Exo M7 at Dec 9, 2008,
Splawn Competition,
Gears - 1st - Hot Rod Plexi, 2nd - Hot Rod 800, 3rd - Super Hot Rod 800

thats the sounds it does for 1500
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Damn,

How about Stoner? Does it do Stoner well? I could manage a Metal and Stoner tone quite well with my old Laney so if all else fails, I think I'll just buy the GH50L
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Mine can do up to thrash metalz, but that was with a decent clean boost. I think it excels in the higher mid gain bracket; stuff like paul gilbert, slayer is the heaviest. The 50 has quite a bit more gain on tap. There's a clip in my profile of "Because the Night" if you want to see how cleans and lower mid gains come across. Can you give me some examples of Stoner bands? Then I can tell you if it'll get that sound or not, I'm not too familiar with the genre.
Quote by bartdevil_metal
Mine can do up to thrash metalz, but that was with a decent clean boost. I think it excels in the higher mid gain bracket; stuff like paul gilbert, slayer is the heaviest. The 50 has quite a bit more gain on tap. There's a clip in my profile of "Because the Night" if you want to see how cleans and lower mid gains come across. Can you give me some examples of Stoner bands? Then I can tell you if it'll get that sound or not, I'm not too familiar with the genre.

Think Black Sabbath like tones.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by 666_Pounder
The Rocker 30 doesn't do metal very well tbh, even with a pedal. Thats why I sold mine.

Really? I've never actually played the Rocker 30 before, but I've played the Rockerverb50 and it sounds very well suited for metal and I got kind of the impression that the Rocker line was kind of geared towards a more modern voicing. I guess the Rocker30 is different?
^ The 30 and 50 are pretty different. The 50 definitely sounds tighter and more modern with its fixed bias, hot-running 6V6s as compared to the lower-output configuration of EL34s (presumably cathode-biased and running warm).
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Think Black Sabbath like tones.

Yes, I can nail a Black Sabbath tone without any problems, to a good standard. It has a great gain structure for that sort of stuff.

Especially the tone from Paranoid.
Quote by bartdevil_metal
Yes, I can nail a Black Sabbath tone without any problems, to a good standard. It has a great gain structure for that sort of stuff.

Especially the tone from Paranoid.

That leaves me somewhat hopeful.

I'll need something more modern though. Which is why I'm leaning towards the RV50 but price wise I'm leaning GH.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
still what about the splawn ?
Quote by gregs1020
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Quote by Bostonrocks
still what about the splawn ?

I'll consider a Splawn when they start falling into my budget.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
i didn't try them head to head, but i thought the rocker 30 sounded a little different to the 50, didn't have as much gain, either.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
the thought the Rocker 30 was like 1600 bucks the splawns are only like 1500
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Quote by Bostonrocks
the thought the Rocker 30 was like 1600 bucks the splawns are only like 1500

I can pick up a Rocker 30 over here for 1100 bucks. That's not quite the same range.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
where? they are atleast 1400 over the internet!

either way it's only a couple hundred I think you could stretch but I don't think that is what you're looking for I guess
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
just bite the bullet and get the 50. you may end up keeping it for 1-2 months
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by K!nj!

Disagree. Much better amps, at least in the us
Quote by Bostonrocks
where? they are atleast 1400 over the internet!

either way it's only a couple hundred I think you could stretch but I don't think that is what you're looking for I guess

It's used at a local guitar store.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
ahh I see
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
I didn't think the 30 had near enough gain for metal, but it sounded good otherwise. It seemed quite fizzy to me uncranked, but cranked it sounded great.

Not exactly a british amp, but still worth a look, the bogner alchemist. I think it pulled off a pretty decent brit tone especially considering the 6l6s. I'd at least give it a try. Certainly versatile enough to do what you want and switchable between 20 and 40 watts. I kind of feel like I'm whoring this amp too much, but it really surprised me when I tried it, and I went in expecting it to fail. Sounded great at lower volumes, a bit of fizz when the gain was high, no more than expected, sounded amazing cranked.

The egnater rebel isn't too bad either, I know I hated it the first time I tried it, but this time I thought it was pretty good, worth a try at the least. Maybe this one was just better? I dunno, but the tube blend still didn't seem to have that much affect and the wattage control really didn't do much either, the difference between 1 and 20 watts was barely perceptible, in one watt mode cranked it's still deafening.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by mcrfobtai
I always push for a Splawn. Apparently they're going kinda cheap used.

I want a competition so bad, splawns simply sound amazing.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Page 1 of 2