Hey
well I have to write an exam in music. I dont have to write about JP himself. I have to "copy" his style and make my own song..So I wanted to do something like

-The razors edge,goodnight kiss,about to crash solo (a lot of key changes style,emotional)
- an Unisono part
- a kickass solo like in Stream Of Consciousness (the second one,because his solo style is mainly fast)
- lot of time signatures changes
But i dont have an idea about his other style in rhythm
In what keys does he mainly write?

and I think I will concentrate more on his Dream Theater side then on the LTE or his Solo project side

thanks
Quote by frankv
Tokio Hotel is probably the worst thing Germany has produced since WW2.

He likes the Phrygian mode.

He likes playing the power chord in barre chords, then appregiating down the rest.

He likes playing riffs low down as rhythm play too.

Check out Home from Scenes From A Memory and Constant Motion from Systematic Chaos. His best work if you ask me. He's just a riffing machine.
Quote by colohue
He likes the Phrygian mode.

He likes playing the power chord in barre chords, then appregiating down the rest.

He likes playing riffs low down as rhythm play too.

Check out Home from Scenes From A Memory and Constant Motion from Systematic Chaos. His best work if you ask me. He's just a riffing machine.

+1

You might want to check out things like "This Dying Soul" from Train of Thought, too. It's really heavy, but full of great riffs.
-Rudy

Quote by blackthought
Sometimes it's best to prepare for the worst possible eventuality... sex with Bill Murray.
Quote by DukeDeRox
I'm as shallow as a dry lake bed.
thanks
I read that he writes/playes in locrian, too. Is it right?
Quote by frankv

Quote by Toast1337
thanks
I read that he writes/playes in locrian, too. Is it right?

Dream Theater is very rarely modal. The vast majority of their work is set in a minor key.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Cheesepuff
If you're asking stuff like this, maybe you should try an easier guy to copy. Just saying.

hmmm
I really like him, but I dont know any typical rhythm riffs
and btw i can analyse songs
Quote by frankv

You can analyze it, but can you play it?

I can analyze that the Mona Lisa is a painting of a woman using dark colours. But I can't paint it in a 100 years.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
He is extremely difficult to mimic due to his versatile style. Most of his guitar parts completely blow my mind when I've tried to sit down and work out how he would have come up with something like that.

I came to a conclusion that alot of it is to match keyboard parts because Rudess does write lots of melodic lines that wouldn't necessarily be obvious on guitar. He says in Rock Discipline that they trade off each other alot, and write parts for each others instruments etc.

You could try writing a simple riff then doing a ''What would John Petrucci Do'' moment and try to copy him in some way... It's difficult, there isn't a straightforward answer.. hense JP being JP !
Quote by Archeo Avis
Dream Theater is very rarely modal. The vast majority of their work is set in a minor key.

I thought DT used modes alot? Like Home has parts in phrygian dominant, ITPOE has parts in dorian and dorian sharp 4, etc
The songs are not modal. But they use alot of modal based sections and breaks.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
^ If they have modal sections and breaks then telling the TS that JP doesnt use modes is misleading. Part of the proggy/DT sound is the modal usage. Glasgow Kiss is pretty much in Mixolydian the whole way.
Quote by Myung-trucci
^ If they have modal sections and breaks then telling the TS that JP doesnt use modes is misleading. Part of the proggy/DT sound is the modal usage. Glasgow Kiss is pretty much in Mixolydian the whole way.

Yes, I know, but theoretically they aren't modal. I'm just describing why Archeo said that.

Their songs are often based on major or minor key (intro) (main theme's)

Glassgow kiss is Modal, cause it does start of with mixolydian intro/maintheme.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??