Alright well this is my first post in about 2 years. I was wondering how many of you guys have locking tuners and what you think of them?

I need to find a set of 3x3 for a hollowbody project I have.
Love in technicolour, sprayed out on walls
Well I've been pounding at the pavement
'Til there's nothing at all
I got my cloak and dagger
In a bar room brawl
See the local loves a fighter
Loves a winner to fall
i have sperzel lockings on my strat. radically improved my tuning stability. gotta love em.
i have them on all my guitars, why would you use anything else? its a kinda basic thing on any decent guitar.
Quote by jymellis
i have them on all my guitars, why would you use anything else? its a kinda basic thing on any decent guitar.

Yeh I'm just trying to figure out which brand to go with. My strat is fine with the stock tuners but the ones on the hollowbody suck.
In a bar room brawl
Loves a winner to fall
I wanna get Fender Schaller locking tuners but I got vintage tuners in now so id have to get the holes widened and a nice LSR rolling nut to go with it... And I dont know if thatll effect the resale value down the road. (The Jeff Beck strat comes with the Schallers & LSR and thats a nice freaken guitar)
My Gear:

Fender Aerodyne Stratocaster
NOS Tweed Fender Blues Jr
Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for:
Vox V847
I'm not sure why locking tuners started to be used on normal guitars, as far as i'm aware they were invented to be used on guitars with trems
Quote by rorypearce
"Orange amp owners unite"?

......form of... Tiny terror

Quote by CullenT
^

WIN!
Quote by rorypearce
I'm not sure why locking tuners started to be used on normal guitars, as far as i'm aware they were invented to be used on guitars with trems

because guitars without trems go out of tune also sperzels are a great brand but kinda pricey! try a few parts sites like guitarfetish
I love guitarfetish, but I have about 80 bucks in GC giftcards that I'd rather burn. Not a lot of extra cash laying around in college.
In a bar room brawl
Loves a winner to fall
Quote by StratRat13
I love guitarfetish, but I have about 80 bucks in GC giftcards that I'd rather burn. Not a lot of extra cash laying around in college.

word, i wish i had some g.c. gift cards lol. try looking at their site to see what they stok, then go to your local g.c. and get them. i believe they have a 30day return policy with receipt so if you dont like them or they dont stay locked you can return them for another set. try to make sure thay are a direct replacement before purchase, bring your guitar. so that way you dont end up having to drill holes in your headstok for a simple tuning machine change.
Quote by jymellis
word, i wish i had some g.c. gift cards lol. try looking at their site to see what they stok, then go to your local g.c. and get them. i believe they have a 30day return policy with receipt so if you dont like them or they dont stay locked you can return them for another set. try to make sure thay are a direct replacement before purchase, bring your guitar. so that way you dont end up having to drill holes in your headstok for a simple tuning machine change.

Yeah that's probably what I'll end up doing.
In a bar room brawl
Loves a winner to fall
i own 3 7 string ibanezs and 1 six iby all have locking tuners. have yet to have any problems out of them, dont know if that helps.
i have gotoh locking tuners which do the job really well

on a sidenote it's actually my nut that gives me the most tuning instability.. i lube it regularly so don't forget that
Main gear
  • ESP Eclipse II Standard (BK Cold Sweat)
  • ESP Horizon NT-II Standard (SD '59/JB)
  • Marshall JVM 410 Combo
Quote by angl2k
i have gotoh locking tuners which do the job really well

on a sidenote it's actually my nut that gives me the most tuning instability.. i lube it regularly so don't forget that

you said you lube your nut

sorry had to do it lol.
I have Planet Waves locking tuners on one of my guitars. You cant beat them. 18:1 ratio and they automatically snip off the excess string.

They are reasonably priced too.
Q: How does lubing help the tuning hold?

Should i invest almost a 100 dollars for Sperzels?
Guitar: Ibanez GRG150 with severe tuning issues.
Quote by unet
Q: How does lubing help the tuning hold?

Should i invest almost a 100 dollars for Sperzels?
Guitar: Ibanez GRG150 with severe tuning issues.

strings can bind into the nut slots, which will stop them from properly sliding through the slot when bending and stuff. sometimes they won't go back in the same position before bending and then you're suddenly out of tune

it's noticable when you hear a high pitched *pling* sound when tuning your strings
Main gear
  • ESP Eclipse II Standard (BK Cold Sweat)
  • ESP Horizon NT-II Standard (SD '59/JB)
  • Marshall JVM 410 Combo