Page 1 of 2
So, a lot of people say that the concept of beauty is defined by the media. You think if the media made chubby people the "beautiful ones" the human being would see them as the "hot girls"? Or.. do you think it's the instinct of the human race that makes you get attracted by the actual definition of sexy-hot ladys?

Discuss

Natural instinct means we going looking for the most desirable mate, this tends to mean that we look for fit attractive people. The media preys on this by making it out that if you don't fit into this demographic you are doomed to a life of misery and lonelyness.
Isn't it like instinct...
Like, we're attracted to whoever we decide would be the best at carrying children/breeding...

Or have i made that up from somewhere...
----
I BLAME SOCIETY!

Instinct.
Quote by Kensai
Ovenman, your contraptions make women's

clothes evaporate.

I WANT THE TWOOTH!

Quote by aaciseric
That's far too clever to be posted in the Pit.
It's instinct, personally I believe evolution and innate knowledge have a massive part in our lifes and our development. The media doesn't really tell us who is attractive, you'd have to be pretty lacking in intelligence to be THAT affected by the media, we all have personal preference and likes.
Yes to the first two posts. The body is designed to find those who have the best breeding potential to be attractive. That is why women go for men with money, because they can provide a safer environment for child rearing, and men go for blondes, because they are generally more fertile. Of course, this is what science tells us. And we all know scientists don't get any tail, right?
Sexual attraction is the most natural thing there is. Cultures shape what is attractive, mass media is only one facet of culture. I say the tv isn't nearly as influencial in your opinions of the opposite sex as a chat with your buddies about ladies is. It's still influencial.

Nurtured influence has it's limitations--culture could make most things be beautiful, but it ccouldn't make us sexually attracted to someone that looks like a really unhealthy mate. Hence grossly overweight, skin and bones thin, covered in sores, etc, etc.
Quote by pawnshopguitars
Yes to the first two posts. The body is designed to find those who have the best breeding potential to be attractive. That is why women go for men with money, because they can provide a safer environment for child rearing, and men go for blondes, because they are generally more fertile. Of course, this is what science tells us. And we all know scientists don't get any tail, right?

After reading the Saudi Scientists reports on the vagina, who could doubt science?

I prefer brunetts to blondes...
Quote by LightYourFire
So, a lot of people say that the concept of beauty is defined by the media. You think if the media made chubby people the "beautiful ones" the human being would see them as the "hot girls"? Or.. do you think it's the instinct of the human race that makes you get attracted by the actual definition of sexy-hot ladys?

Discuss

................................. .....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................what was this thread about again?

oh its instinct definatly, you can tell me rosie o donnel is hot all you want but im never gonna agree
"I just want to conquer people and their souls."
-Mike Tyson
Do Not Focus On The As....

I know..

OT:
I like what I'm reading so far, I think it's a instinct matter also, although the media and culture has a HUGE influence for sure..
Quote by Preid
After reading the Saudi Scientists reports on the vagina, who could doubt science?

I prefer brunetts to blondes...

Exactly.

I even tried to answer a Trivial Pursuit question about reproduction with "The vagina is a myth. Here is a scientific paper to back that claim up". I managed to go pour a pint of Guiness in the time it took the other players to realise I didn't deserve a point.
depends on where ya live, if your in antarctica or alaska your gonna want the chubby honeys ta keep ya warm at night plus we all have to remember

A media thing. Really it's has so much control now that it can dictate whats "hot " and whats not. It defines and redefines what "beauty" is on a countiual basis.

How good looking would all of today's top movie stars, models and celebrities be without the millions in make up, trendy clothing and photo doctoring?
Well, Yeah it's definitely the human race defining WHAT beauty is, It is up to the media to hammer on that and make money of off it.

The media is nothing more then a evil substance of Chemical X though, Sugar Spice and Everything Nice. I mean it's true its mostly all fake and ****, And still we watch it.
And the more we watch tv or any kind of media, The bigger it gets.

Afcourse MTV is the most eviliest

Oh and here you're 5 min of Beauty:

ALL HAIL HYPNOTOAD

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Dude, I think I would know, Trivium invented Thrash, Metallica are lucky they got as far as they did piggy-backing off of Trivium's signature style.

This was the ancient greek ideal of beauty. She doesnt even have arms.

Obviously something's changed in our perception of what's hot, the media may be a large part of it.
Last edited by blackflag49 at Dec 9, 2008,
Quote by Dudududa
Isn't it like instinct...
Like, we're attracted to whoever we decide would be the best at carrying children/breeding...

Or have i made that up from somewhere...

Your right, instinct give's you the feels for someone you think would be a well suited person to you.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
Quote by blackflag49

Obviously something's changed in our perception of what's hot, the media may be a large part of it.

Yeah because the arms had been destroyed
Really, I read about it somewhere though i can't remember
ALL HAIL HYPNOTOAD

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Dude, I think I would know, Trivium invented Thrash, Metallica are lucky they got as far as they did piggy-backing off of Trivium's signature style.
Quote by pawnshopguitars

Women go for men with money because they can provide a safer environment?

No.
Quote by frankv
Maybe the sculpter was shit?

*points to her lack of arms*

You think?

Quote by AU79 XY

No.

The older ladies who've played the field do tend to go for the richest guy they can. Why sleep in a caravan when you could live in a 2 bedroom semi?

All she has to do then is stay looking acceptable to him and not get caught spooning with the pool boy.
I think the ancient *remembers back to World History class* Romans had it right. Actual human-looking. flawed humans as the norm. The current image of 'hot' may be generally accepted, but I still like to have girls who I won't have to worry about crushing >_>
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Schecter C-7 (old 90s style headstock)
Handbuilt 6-string V
Handbuilt Baritone scale 6 string Iceman-copy
Pod HD300
Quote by JackalUK
Natural instinct means we going looking for the most desirable mate, this tends to mean that we look for fit attractive people. The media preys on this by making it out that if you don't fit into this demographic you are doomed to a life of misery and lonelyness.

This sums it up about perfectly.

Media or not, we wouldn't be attracted to overweight people because all animals, humans included, are selective breeders.
Quote by AU79 XY

No.

some women sure. Of course a secure domestic sphere is part of a natural instinct. How much women stick to that instinct varies from woman to woman, what women define as a secure domestic space varies from woman to woman.

Lots of nuance and exceptions, but your blanket "no" is certainly out of line.
Quote by Jango22
I think the ancient *remembers back to World History class* Romans had it right. Actual human-looking. flawed humans as the norm. The current image of 'hot' may be generally accepted, but I still like to have girls who I won't have to worry about crushing >_>

Then lose some weight fatty, no need to scare off all the walking sticks for everyone else

You can have the media promote obesity as much as they want, I don't think anyone other than hardcore chubby chasers are going to fall for the bait. It's instinct that makes us sexually attracted/aroused to someone and we look for certain physical traits that define someone as "hot."
Quote by dullsilver_mike
some women sure. Of course a secure domestic sphere is part of a natural instinct. How much women stick to that instinct varies from woman to woman, what women define as a secure domestic space varies from woman to woman.

+1 on both parts. I hate it when people are so self assured they think they can put down an argument with one word and no backing, if you don't have a real point to make GTFO.
Quote by RU Experienced?
Then lose some weight fatty, no need to scare off all the walking sticks for everyone else

You can have the media promote obesity as much as they want, I don't think anyone other than hardcore chubby chasers are going to fall for the bait. It's instinct that makes us sexually attracted/aroused to someone and we look for certain physical traits that define someone as "hot."

I think skinny is so sexy to us cause it's more associated with youth, which has become a taboo (well and illegal). It's not socially acceptable-for good reason-- for adult males to have sex with women that have just become sexually mature. Naturally you'd want to pick women that aren't worn out from the process of child bearing/birth--having 5 or 6 babies in nature(without medical attention) is about enough to kill a woman. When we see skinny women, we like them despite the lack of childbearing hips because they look young, and therefor look like they're not all worn out.

Just my crazy theory.
Instinct AND Culture. There are certain aspects of the human body that when right we find intrinsically attractive.
However, what beauty is also varies among culture (and time). For example, early human fertility idols depicted women with large breasts and wide hips, but also a large amount of belly fat, as a woman with more fat could stay healthy through pregnancy, childbirth and rearing children. So it is a combination of innate attraction and cultural context.
I would argue that the dominant idea of beauty is propagated through the media and hegemonic culture. Hence why different cultures have different ideas of beauty.

Edit:
Quote by dullsilver_mike

While I'm no historian, I believe that the western idea of the domestic sphere was actually an creation of the evangelicals, in order to counter what was seen at the time as a society spiralling out of control because of the influences of industrialisation on society.
...Bleep Bloop...
Last edited by GHJ at Dec 9, 2008,
Quote by blackflag49

damn
how does she cook?
Quote by frankv
Tokio Hotel is probably the worst thing Germany has produced since WW2.

Quote by Toast1337
damn
how does she cook?

She has a range of different attachments to suit the job, much like a janitorial unit robot
Quote by madbasslover
This sums it up about perfectly.

Media or not, we wouldn't be attracted to overweight people because all animals, humans included, are selective breeders.

Then again, in Africa big = attractive...
No, I think the media has more of an impact on girls trying to look like the hot girls than defining what males find attractive. Different guys like different kinds of girls, but girls see pencil-thin catwalk models and think that's what guys like. I know what I find hot, and think the media has had little impact as to what I define a hot girl to look like.

I think in some areas in Africa, they're attracted to fat people because it means that they're well-off, similar to a guy with a ferrari around here. Little media influence, purely self-preservation/gold digging.
i think it's at least somewhat due media and it's scary some people dont even realize it.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
lmao XxGloriousxX is a genius

Quote by Pinky19
You guys fail. Except for you Glorious. You win.

Once again.
Quote by Guitarfreak777
I would shoot them to death yes, but trying to aim for non-leathal, hoping they live.

which one is it Guitarfreak777?
Quote by GHJ
I would argue that the dominant idea of beauty is propagated through the media and hegemonic culture. Hence why different cultures have different ideas of beauty.

Edit:

While I'm no historian, I believe that the western idea of the domestic sphere was actually an creation of the evangelicals, in order to counter what was seen at the time as a society spiralling out of control because of the influences of industrialisation on society.

True, except that I think you can put it on a lot of groups other than evangelicals--most Victorians weren't and they certainly played a big role. there was a different idea in Ancient Rome and Greece, where women of affluence still had a domestic role, but actually managed households when they did it, keeping track of slaves, provisions, some finances, etc.

Many iterations, but some form of domesticity has arisen in every historical context.

Look at high order mammels like most primates that jointly raise young, same behavior arises, females pick strong, sturdy males for security. Females cheat to get appeal to more than one male to support their offspring, dominant males tend to have harems(a domestic arrangement) to mate with as many females as possible.

I never specifically mentioned our current notion of the home, just domesticity in general--tending to affairs of the home and family.
i still say instinct, you cant force someone to think someone else is attractive, if media controlled what we found attractive all the fat chicks or manly looking chicks wouldnt be married, fact is, a lot of them are, also beauty is in the eye of the beholder i mean whats good looking to one person is completley different to another, i dont see how its media controlled at all
"I just want to conquer people and their souls."
-Mike Tyson
Page 1 of 2