I'm looking to get a new guitar and looking for some suggestions to try out. My budget is around £300-400, maybe £500 at a stretch. I mainly play stuff like Interpol, Kings of Leon, Muse, Smashing Pumpkins and Radiohead. Not looking for something high gain though I'd like a bit of versatility. Already got a great MIM strat which can handle my singlecoil tastes, would like this to be HH.
Recently tried out a PRS SE Custom and a Michael Kelly Limited. Wasn't a fan of the MK neck, much preferred the PRS.

Just looking for some suggestions to try out so preferrably something I can get my hands on without too much trouble. Amp situation is fine, getting a Peavey Royal 8 very soon.
Thanks

EDIT: Also would prefer it to be hardtail, no need for a tremolo.
Last edited by aaronni at Dec 9, 2008,
versitile =
try a strat
or schecter (very versitile)
- I suggest a c-1

or a ibanez (i'm not the biggest fan of them though)
Quote by CrimsonBizzare
versitile =
try a strat
or schecter (very versitile)
- I suggest a c-1

or a ibanez (i'm not the biggest fan of them though)

Already got a strat, looking for something a bit different. Seems like most Schecters in my price range are active pickups. Are there any without?
muse you say...

try the manson guitar website (the company that makes matt bellamy's custom guitars)

they have guitars for sale that are within your price range

here's just a couple
http://www.mansons.co.uk/shopping/categories/squier-electric-guitars/squier/fuzz-factory-tele-electric-guitar/

http://www.mansons.co.uk/shopping/categories/squier-electric-guitars/squier/fuzz-factory-tele-custom-electric-guitar/
Last edited by Dempsey68 at Dec 9, 2008,
it may be too superstrat-looking for you, but the washburn x50pro is very nice indeed, and at £300 is excellent value (considering how nice a guitar £300 will normally buy you over here i.e. barely above starter guitar quality, in most cases ).

if that's no good, maybe a CIJ (japanese) Fender tele deluxe? that's going to be at the upper end of your budget, though, if not even pushing a little over.

Or maybe a Japanese-made Tokai SG? you can get them for ~£500 or so, generally.

p90s might be worth considering, too, as a kind of halfway house between fender style singles and humbuckers, they might suit the music you're playing (then again, they might not). Again, an MIJ tokai LP special doublecut/singlecut with p90s, or their sg with p90s, should be around the £500 mark, and again would be worth considering. In case you didn't notice, I like Japanese copies.

if you don't mind my asking, where'd you try the michael kelly? i haven't seen those over here yet.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
it may be too superstrat-looking for you, but the washburn x50pro is very nice indeed, and at £300 is excellent value (considering how nice a guitar £300 will normally buy you over here i.e. barely above starter guitar quality, in most cases ).

if that's no good, maybe a CIJ (japanese) Fender tele deluxe? that's going to be at the upper end of your budget, though, if not even pushing a little over.

Or maybe a Japanese-made Tokai SG? you can get them for ~£500 or so, generally.

p90s might be worth considering, too, as a kind of halfway house between fender style singles and humbuckers, they might suit the music you're playing (then again, they might not). Again, an MIJ tokai LP special doublecut/singlecut with p90s, or their sg with p90s, should be around the £500 mark, and again would be worth considering. In case you didn't notice, I like Japanese copies.

if you don't mind my asking, where'd you try the michael kelly? i haven't seen those over here yet.

Merchant City
Merchant City music in Glasgow, as far as I remember they had the Limited and the Valor X in the shop.

Thanks for the suggestions I'll try as much as I can back in Belfast over Christmas, I think guitar emporium stock Tokais.
oh ok, i figured you'd maybe tried them on the mainland. thanks anyway.

yeah, the belfast guitar emporium generally has a pretty good selection of tokais (just make sure it's the japanese ones you try, it's not always that easy to tell, but with any luck, especially on the newer ones, it should say where it's made on the back of the headstock). I haven't been in there for a while, though. i'm not sure about trying the washburn, though... there are some dealers in england, not too sure about scotland or here in northern ireland. EDIT: bairds had some japanese fenders last time I was in, but that was quite a while ago as well.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by aaronni
Already got a strat, looking for something a bit different. Seems like most Schecters in my price range are active pickups. Are there any without?

The c-1 classic is in your range as far as i know
passive pickups
a jb in the bridge and a jazz in the neck i'm pretty sure
+ It's beautiful
Gear:
Fender CP Jazzmaster
Schecter PT Custom w/ Dimarzio crunch lab/liquifire
Marshall JCM2000 DSL+Orange 4x12
Orange Tiny Terror+Mesa Electra Dyne 2x12
Boss TU-2/NS-2/DD-6
Maxon OD808

MY BAND!
Quote by Dave_Mc
oh ok, i figured you'd maybe tried them on the mainland. thanks anyway.

yeah, the belfast guitar emporium generally has a pretty good selection of tokais (just make sure it's the japanese ones you try, it's not always that easy to tell, but with any luck, especially on the newer ones, it should say where it's made on the back of the headstock). I haven't been in there for a while, though. i'm not sure about trying the washburn, though... there are some dealers in england, not too sure about scotland or here in northern ireland. EDIT: bairds had some japanese fenders last time I was in, but that was quite a while ago as well.

Ok I'll see what I can find thanks
Yea I've only seen that washburn on GAK, Merchant City had some Washburns, a P90 model which I tried briefly can't remember the name. They didn't have the x50pro though. I'll check if there's any in Edinburgh, nearest big city to me minus Dundee.

The c-1 classic is in your range as far as i know passive pickups a jb in the bridge and a jazz in the neck i'm pretty sure + It's beautiful

Thanks I had a look at the Tempest Custom, someone is selling one on here for around £200. I'll have to find some Schecter dealers.

EDIT: C-1 classic is a bit out of my range, but I'll try to try some out anyway. I can always go used.
EDIT: if you ask me, the washburn is as nice if not nicer than the schecter, for half the price. for some reason, we get good value on washburns here, but terrible value on schecters. Obviously personal preference and all that, though.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
EDIT: if you ask me, the washburn is as nice if not nicer than the schecter, for half the price. for some reason, we get good value on washburns here, but terrible value on schecters. Obviously personal preference and all that, though.

Well it's about half the price of the C-1s, which is always good. Can't find anywhere in Scotland or N. Ireland selling X50pros. The washburn site is useless, only came up with one dealer in England.

Checked Baird's site and they have Tokais, not sure how up to date their site is though. Not sure about CIJ Fenders.

Out of interest what's the neck on the Washburn like? It doesn't look like I'll be able to try one out.
C-1 Classic?
Jackson DK2?
Quote by Eddie4President
Either you remind her of a girl, or she's not a lesbian.

Quote by blake1221
Jabba's real name is Katie.
Quote by aaronni
Well it's about half the price of the C-1s, which is always good. Can't find anywhere in Scotland or N. Ireland selling X50pros. The washburn site is useless, only came up with one dealer in England.

Checked Baird's site and they have Tokais, not sure how up to date their site is though. Not sure about CIJ Fenders.

Out of interest what's the neck on the Washburn like? It doesn't look like I'll be able to try one out.

yeah, bairds had a few tokais last time i was there, not as many as the emporium though. and had a few CIJ fenders (i think they were second-hand though).

It's a bit too long since i've tried the washburn, i can't really remember what the neck was like, i just remember it was a nice guitar (and i'm not too great at recognising neck shapes anyway, lol), from what i remember, the neck wasn't ibanez skinny, but a lot thinner than the really thick gibson ones too. could be wrong though. there are generally a bunch of threads where the x50pro is mentioned, a bunch of UK guys here have them, maybe you could pm one of them- horlicks has one, gregoric (i think), probably a few others too.

obviously some people might prefer the neck shape etc. of the schecter (i prefer the washburn), but in terms of spec, they're virtually identical- i'd prefer the washburn's spec (as i prefer the custom custom to the JB, and buzz feiten is cool). but again a lot of that is just personal preference.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
oh, the only thing about the washburn is no inlays on the fretboard, if that bothers you. also, the headstock looks a bit crap.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
oh, the only thing about the washburn is no inlays on the fretboard, if that bothers you. also, the headstock looks a bit crap.

How dare you blaspheme against the washburn headstock! lol

The no inlay thing bothered me for about 20 mintues but once you get used to looking at the side of the neck rather than the top of the fret board then you're fine.

If you want mymore details TS, pm me.
Gear n Shizz:

Washburn X50 Pro
Epiphone Korina Explorer
Line 6 Flextone III 75w
Ibanez RG or S but dont get a really cheap one
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Quote by Gregoric
How dare you blaspheme against the washburn headstock! lol

The no inlay thing bothered me for about 20 mintues but once you get used to looking at the side of the neck rather than the top of the fret board then you're fine.

If you want mymore details TS, pm me.

haha, yeah, i just don't like the headstock. don't get me wrong, i wouldn't let it put me off, but i still don't think i'd like it.

i'd imagine i'd be the same with the inlays, but just wasn't really willing to take the chance.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Ok thanks a lot for the help guys. I'll try some stuff out when I get back to sunny Belfast .

Yea not a big fan of the headstock, not the most important aspect though is it.
yeah.

sunny belfast, lol.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by aaronni
Ok thanks a lot for the help guys. I'll try some stuff out when I get back to sunny Belfast .

Yea not a big fan of the headstock, not the most important aspect though is it.

The headstock grew on me, but you're right, not the most important feature.

Can you get any of the Idol series where you are? Similar specs to the X series, just with 2 less frets and a different shape. You still get the SD's, Grovers and Buzz Feiten.
Gear n Shizz:

Washburn X50 Pro
Epiphone Korina Explorer
Line 6 Flextone III 75w