Page 1 of 3
Ok Gang, need some opinions... I am looking for a new Guitar and am deciding between Gibson or PRS.... I am looking at either a gibson double cutaway LP or a PRS "Mira"... I have played both and i like them both and they are around the same price... 1800.00 Is this Gibson over priced?
gibsons are over priced...but idk if PRS is better for their price either..
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
I've seen double cutaways go for less, but generally speaking Gibsons are quite expensive. Well more like their ranges start from quite a high price point.

Still ****ing love them though!
I am....making progress...
Gibsons are overpriced, and quite a lot, but they're still good quality guitars. But IMO, when compared to PRS they fall short, so the Mira would be a much better choice, especially around that price.
- Fender American Standard Ash Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Chopper T & Twang King
- Alhambra 5P
- Laney Lionheart L5T-112
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
- Dunlop Cry Baby
oh yeah. definitely, that's why these japanese copies are able to do just as well as gibsons for a fraction of the price. please don't repsonse saying im biased because i have 2 gibsons. and never owned one of these japanese copies.
Pick whichever one you like the most. The mira has a 25" scale, 24 frets, and has a wider neck.

The Gibson has a 24.75" scale, 22 frets, I don't know what neck, not to mention the pups are different.

They're the same price, if they're both worth the same price to you, neither is overpriced, no matter what a bunch of asshats on a website repeat in a litany
Fender Squires all around, babies!

PRS sounds like the better deal. Now, if it were a Les Paul Custom or ES335...*drools*
Global warming at my homework, sir.
Quote by kckyle
oh yeah. definitely, that's why these japanese copies are able to do just as well as gibsons for a fraction of the price. please don't repsonse saying im biased because i have 2 gibsons. and never owned one of these japanese copies.

if you have never owned a japanese copy then how can you say that they are just as good?
Quote by RetroGunslinger
I think gibsons are overpriced. You pay a hefty chunk of change just to have the Gibson name on the headstock. They are nice guitars, But i think dollar for dollar alot of other companies are every bit as good. And i have heard the newer gibsons have quality control issues, Im not sure if thats true though.
Quote by fifer
if you have never owned a japanese copy then how can you say that they are just as good?

my rhythm guitarist has a burny. whenever i go over to his house to mix tracks i always end up using his burny since I'm not really that fund of his dean and flying v's
depends on how much you like the guitar and how deep your pockets are. if you really love the guitar, price is an obstacle you have to hurdle.
Between those two, IMO, the PRS hands-down blows the Gibson clear out of the water. Personally though, yes, I think Gibsons are way overpriced. I think the same of PRS though. From the same cue though, PRS has the right to with how those instruments are.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
Quote by kckyle
my rhythm guitarist has a burny. whenever i go over to his house to mix tracks i always end up using his burny since I'm not really that fund of his dean and flying v's

ah, ok.
Quote by RetroGunslinger
I would say Gibsons are overpriced; however, people still buy them. If someone is willing to pay more than what it's worth then to them it's not overpriced and Gibson still makes their profit.

If say Gibson raised their prices 25% and they lost sales dramatically, they would eventually lower their prices.

As far as Gibson vs. PRS I would go with PRS any day of the week.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
If a Gibson is overpriced what does that make a Moog?

If you are willing to pay for it, it is not overpriced.
If you start a reply with: I have never played one but I have heard good things about it! Your opinion is invalid.
Quote by boxcarmonument

Well, if I had $2500-3000 to spend on a guitar I wouldn't buy a Gibson, I'd get a PRS or a CS Fender, so for me they ARE overpriced, even when they're good.
- Fender American Standard Ash Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Chopper T & Twang King
- Alhambra 5P
- Laney Lionheart L5T-112
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
- Dunlop Cry Baby
ts can't decide between a prs or a gibson, he likes both of them equally,, and they're the same price. How can you even argue that one is overpriced if he's willing to pay the same amount for either?
Quote by pak1351
ts can't decide between a prs or a gibson, he likes both of them equally,, and they're the same price. How can you even argue that one is overpriced if he's willing to pay the same amount for either?

because ts asked US if it was overpriced. so we are going to respond to what we think...
Quote by RetroGunslinger
Quote by boxcarmonument

I could be willing to buy something even if it is overpriced..it still doesnt change the fact that it is overpriced. if it is the same value of a guitar that costs less, then it is overpriced.
Quote by RetroGunslinger
Both Gibsons and PRS are overpriced IMO. Youre paying for the name, reputation, mystique etc.

Now, Im not saying theyre not quality instruments. Quite the contrary...

However for the $ you would be paying, you could get a "lesser" known name guitar with equal quality and build for less.

Either way, based on the choices you listed, I'd go for the PRS in a heartbeat.
for their price gibsons are absolute sh*t. No gibson i have played or tested has been worth its retail price.
Quote by hell_monkey
Lmao pantera? you'd think obama listened to some tupac or something
IMHO anything more than $1000.00 is over priced for a guitar unless your buying Vintage rare collector pieces. When you buy these band name guitars MIA your paying for labor not quality. At one time MIA ment you got quality now it just means you paying for so so quality and HIGH LABOR costs. It's our fault because a lot of Americans just don't take pride in their work and worry more about how much they can milk out of a company for pay unlike like the Asian workers, just look as the Asian cars compared to US cars. I think most guitars made in Japan, Korea and even China lately are just as good in most cases and sometimes even better, for a fraction of the cost at that.

We had a huge disscussion at the guitar shop yesterday when I picked up my latest purchases and every single person that came in and joined in the discussion, as well as the sales staff all said Gibsons quality is pretty bad now a days and for the cost no where near worth what people are paying. One of the guys said he had a Gibson LP double cut away (close to 3 grand on the price) They had to take it back because the customer couldn't get the guitar sounding right it turned out the fret spacing was all wrong and inconsistant. I love Gibsons but I tell you with all the complaints about quality and my experiance with Gibson of late I wouldn't spend big bucks on one. They tell me they have similar complaints about Fenders quality as well. Yet the smaller high end guitar companies are rarely returned or have problems. I would defend Gibsons quality in the past but not now.

John
Yes they are overpriced, but you will love it if it it set up well.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Quote by Øttər
Yes they are overpriced, but you will love it if it it set up well.

you'll love any guitar if you set it up well...
Quote by hell_monkey
Lmao pantera? you'd think obama listened to some tupac or something
People wouldn't consider gibsons overpriced if they had better QC. (example : I played 5-6 2008 standards, and they were all **** compared to the studio i played...it was one of the better guitars I've ever played, but I liked the mustang a tiny bit more) that being said their QC is absolute ****. Play atleast 7-10 gibsons before buying one....unless one of the first ones play amazing. but when you find a GOOD gibson, and if gibsons are what you like, you'll probably chose it over anything in your price range.
Until tonight, I'd definitely say that Gibsons are overpriced. But I played an absolute GEM of a guitar tonight. I was in a bar in Seoul when a Korean girl walks in with a gig bag. I got chatting out of curiousity (I speak Korean >.< and it was a Gibson dreadnought cutaway. Not sure of the model.

I started playing it and it was the sweetest playing acoustic I've ever played. It played like an electric. It was rediculous.

So I say if you get a gem from Gibson, it's not overpriced, but most of what I've played is MASSIVELY overpriced.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
gibsons are not overpriced.

i mean, if you're going to pay that much for a guitar, for gods sake try before you buy! and don't buy it unless it's pefect for you. if it just happens to be a gibson you find that's perfect, i can assure you you won't feel ripped off. the same applies to any brand really - and in that price range buying because of the brand name is ****ing ridiculous, unless of course you've always dreamed of owning a certain guitar like a Gibson ES-335 - the only people who think gibsons are overpriced are the people who buy gibsons just because they are gibsons.

edit: ^ One mans trash is another mans treasure - you may not have liked those gibsons you played. but they are handmade to fairly loose spec so they are all going to be very different, those gibsons you didn't like might be a must-have for some other guy.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Last edited by Blompcube at Dec 9, 2008,
Quote by johnro6659
IMHO anything more than $1000.00 is over priced for a guitar unless your buying Vintage rare collector pieces. When you buy these band name guitars MIA your paying for labor not quality. At one time MIA ment you got quality now it just means you paying for so so quality and HIGH LABOR costs. It's our fault because a lot of Americans just don't take pride in their work and worry more about how much they can milk out of a company for pay unlike like the Asian workers, just look as the Asian cars compared to US cars. I think most guitars made in Japan, Korea and even China lately are just as good in most cases and sometimes even better, for a fraction of the cost at that.

We had a huge disscussion at the guitar shop yesterday when I picked up my latest purchases and every single person that came in and joined in the discussion, as well as the sales staff all said Gibsons quality is pretty bad now a days and for the cost no where near worth what people are paying. One of the guys said he had a Gibson LP double cut away (close to 3 grand on the price) They had to take it back because the customer couldn't get the guitar sounding right it turned out the fret spacing was all wrong and inconsistant. I love Gibsons but I tell you with all the complaints about quality and my experiance with Gibson of late I wouldn't spend big bucks on one. They tell me they have similar complaints about Fenders quality as well. Yet the smaller high end guitar companies are rarely returned or have problems. I would defend Gibsons quality in the past but not now.

John

Comparing guitars to cars doesn't really work. The reason american automobiles are lower quality is because they're manufactured in Canada and Mexico. If you look at American cars built in America (Corvette, Viper, Sky, Solstice, many Lincolns) are just as reliable and much nicer as far as features go than a comprable japanese car. Not to mention reliability shouldn't even be a factor with just about every brand offering a warranty of at least 100,000 miles. If you keep a car more than 10 years/100,000 miles I don't want to hear any complaining about how it is more inefficient than modern cars (few exceptions). And the fact that because American cars have claimed to be poor they don't hold their value as well; would you rather drive a cadillac that you purchased used for $15,000 or a toyota avalon which would be about $22,000? No brainer for me, toyota's don't ride nearly as well, have the power, or the fun to drive factor that comprable American cars have.

/irrelevant rant

+1 about Gibsons. Too commercialized. I could justify a $3000 PRS because I know the quality is there. Gibson...it's a shame you have to try it out first. Value is only what people will pay for it though.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Well, Gibsons sure are not cheap. What a guitar is worth depends on what you want it to do. If you want the sound of an '08 Gibson LP, than it's worth the 2000 bucks. Of course, a guitar that is defective or has any flaws that render it useless is a different matter alltogether.

@john: I'd not say that any guitar over 1000 bucks is overpriced. I certainly feel that my Fender CS (nearly 2000&euro was pricey, but good enough to justify the price. Many other guitars that I tried that were between 1000€ and 3000€ were built to such a high standard that I can only say that they were worth the money. It also depends on the features. If you want a 24-fret, neck through, semi hollow guitar with the body's top, back and sides made of solid wood instead of laminated wood, you'll just have to pay a bit more than for a simple guitar like a Telecaster or SG, even though the guitar is not necessarily better than the Tele or SG. It's just been built differently.

If the manufacturer charges you the production cost plus a reasonable profit, then a guitar can not be overpriced. It can, however, have expensive features that you don't need.
Quote by boxcarmonument

true. people are always going to buy gibsons and prs and any other high price guitar. i personally could never see myself spending any more than 800-1000 on a guitar (and thats very high). no offense but i personally see no point in paying thousands for a guitar if you just jamming at home or with some friends or the occasional gig. you can get the same sounds and tone with a way cheaper guitar. the only way i could see myself playing a gibson or similar is if i was playing pro in a band playing shows regularly

nothing agianst gibsons or prs, they are great guitars, this is just my opinion
Quote by gian133
true. people are always going to buy gibsons and prs and any other high price guitar. i personally could never see myself spending any more than 800-1000 on a guitar (and thats very high). no offense but i personally see no point in paying thousands for a guitar if you just jamming at home or with some friends or the occasional gig. you can get the same sounds and tone with a way cheaper guitar. the only way i could see myself playing a gibson or similar is if i was playing pro in a band playing shows regularly

nothing agianst gibsons or prs, they are great guitars, this is just my opinion

I agree to a point. If you're a gigging musician (regularly) or a studio musician, then it's not a luxury, but something to make you better at your profession. Any slight improvement in your tone reflects in your income so it makes sense. But yes, for a house jammer I'd agree. You can get great tones from alot of the Japanese companies these days. Tokai, Edwards etc rip alot of these brands to the ground.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

Quote by Swap-Meet
I don't see how tone effects how you like a band.

one of my favourite bands ( Lower Class Brats) tone (imo) is pretty horrible when Marty Volume uses his flying V....but they're definitely my favorite active band, with mudhoney.

Granted. Sometimes, a nasty tone is perfect. I LOVE The Libertines and their tone was normal at best. But sometimes, you need a sweet as hell tone. Would people be half as interested in Eric Johnson, for example, if his tone sucked? I sincerely doubt it.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

I like Gibsons, but half the money spent on the guitar is because of the name on the headstock.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
get a carvin.
"every prince has to slay a few dragons before he meets his princess"
Quote by Kurapica
Until tonight, I'd definitely say that Gibsons are overpriced. But I played an absolute GEM of a guitar tonight. I was in a bar in Seoul when a Korean girl walks in with a gig bag. I got chatting out of curiousity (I speak Korean >.< and it was a Gibson dreadnought cutaway. Not sure of the model.

I started playing it and it was the sweetest playing acoustic I've ever played. It played like an electric. It was rediculous.

So I say if you get a gem from Gibson, it's not overpriced, but most of what I've played is MASSIVELY overpriced.

Yay korea!
And just so i will actually contribute to this thread, I'd say Gibsons are amazingly overpriced. Go japanese
Quote by drunkinkoala
you can be jesus.

Quote by Wesseem
most useless response i think i have ever seen on any forum ever.

Quote by Turkeyburger

Lolflag
Page 1 of 3