Poll: Which guitar would you buy (if you were me...)?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which guitar would you buy (if you were me...)?
Jim Root signature Telecaster
18 43%
PRS SE Soapbar
10 24%
Gibson Les Paul
11 26%
ESP Truckster
1 2%
Gretsch G6128 Duo-Jet
2 5%
Voters: 42.
Well, I need a new guitar due to the limitations of my Floyd Rose Tremolo, and I'm canvassing opinions. My current setup is a ltd edition Epiphone Explorer, which I've had set up to play metal, which is pretty much all it's good at. I'm a rhythm guitarist BTW, so extreme soloing isn't a requirement.

I need a fixed bridge guitar so I can mess about with the tunings, and one that's versatile in tone - my existing guitar is pure metal, so I need more of an all-rounder for drop-D tuning, ballads and other music styles. I don't know whether to save up for an expensive classic that won't lose it's value, or get a mid-price guitar that has the right sound.

The current favourites are:

The Jim Root signature Telecaster (designed for downtuning, with a good mix of pickups - the winner of the Total guitar 2008 reader's poll).
http://www.fender.co.uk/products//search.php?partno=0134444706

The PRS SE Soapbar (the cheapest option, with probably the best pickups – a pair of P90s - despite costing less than £300 online it got a 5 star review in this month's Total guitar mag)
http://www.prsguitars.com/sesoapbar/index.html

A classic Gibson Les Paul (although an SG might work too - budget restricts me to a Studio model at best, which still weighs in around £900).
http://www.guitarvillage.co.uk/product-d...ew%2C+Inc.+Case

Or the ESP Truckster (would have to be the 'cheap' LTD one, at £999, rather than the top of the range one at £1299):
http://www.espguitars.com/guitars_james.html

Or I could save up for most of next year and buy this (forgetting the tuning options, because of it's complex trem, and going for just a cool, sweet-sounding guitar instead - this is my wildcard!)
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/gretsch-g-6128-duo-jet/9475

What say you? Thanks in advance for any advice.
Dude, the telecaster is amazing
Bazza

Epiphone Les Paul Special ll w/ an SD Dimebucker and a Dean Zebra neck pup
Bugera 333xl Head
Bugera 412-bk Cab
Roland Cube 15
Behringer Hell Babe Wah
Dan Electro tuna-melt
EHX Metal Muff

Bugera Lover!
What type of bands you into?
btw dont ever buy a guitar without playing it, you may find that you really dislike the sound.
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
les paul!!!! or jim root! but i would choose the sg personally and maybe change out the pickups to seymour duncans/emg
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Fender Hot Rod Devile 4x12

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
Uhh, the "Truckster" is a metal guitar, it's got active pickups in it. Definitely not "versatile".
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
kind of an eclectic mix you have there

personally i'd go with the tele or the SG

but i'd bung a pair or bare knuckles in either
Quote by fleajr_1412
You have amazing taste in men.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
i would go for the Jim Root Tele, I saw him play it last night in glasgow, it sounds amazing. What you should do is go to your nearest guitar shop what sells those guitars and play them for yourself to see what guitar suits your needs best
My Gear:
-Guitars:
Schecter 30th Anniversary PT
Schecter V-7 Hellraiser
Schecter Demon 7 FR
Vintage VRS100
Amps:
Randall RG75 G3 Plus
I'll go for the soapbar ! the tele has EMG and suited for the style of jim (a lot of metal) I think that the soapbar or the les paul should do the job
I'd go with the Jim Root. From what you posted, you don't want a purely metal guitar, but metal seems to be your forte. The active EMGs are definately versatile enough for you described.
up to £1000 on your second guitar?? :O
Mine was a Schecter Blackhawk, which I got at a bargain of about £150, still has the stock pickups in but it sounds awesome!
I'd say if youre going for an all rounder, the Telecaster looks awesome
But Definately try them out first, not just that one and decide you like it, because you might realise that the PRS is perfect for what you need lol
Thanks for the comments so far guys, really appreciated.

Yep, although I'm definitely into metal (currently playing a lot of Metallica-type stuff), I need something for my lighter songs. Think Soundgarden/ Alice in Chains era.

The telecaster is looking like the favourite, but I am really tempted by the PRS SE, mainly for those p90 pickups.

The expensive guitars are on there not because I have money to burn (I haven't!), but because I wondered if I should invest in a real quality item rather than just throw a bit of cash at a functional guitar. I kind of did that with my Epiphone, and although I absolutely love it, it has more than it's fair share of limitations.

And yes, I really do want to sit down and play some of these beauties, jjust as soon as I can find a guitar shop that stocks them (I'm in Staffordshire, UK, and the only one of these models I've seen in the flesh so far is the Gretsch).

So - can the telecaster really handle mellow as well as thrash? If so, it's definitely in the lead so far!

Thanks everyone.
So - basically what you're saying is that you don't care how a guitar sounds, looks, or plays - as long as other people think it's cool?

Seriously man - thats a pretty diverse group of guitars that sound and feel completely different from one another.

Don't you at least have an idea of the general characteristics you want in the guitar?
Gear

Gibson '57 Les Paul Reissue
Marshall TSL 601
EHX: Big Muff, Metal Muff, Small Stone, POG, 2880
Ibanez TS808
Voodoo Labs Microvibe
Analogman Chorus
Morley Bad Horsie II
Keeley Compressor (C4)
Nova Delay
MXR 10-band EQ
Quote by Guitartist
So - basically what you're saying is that you don't care how a guitar sounds, looks, or plays - as long as other people think it's cool?

Seriously man - thats a pretty diverse group of guitars that sound and feel completely different from one another.

Don't you at least have an idea of the general characteristics you want in the guitar?

Nope that's not what I'm saying, or what I even said...
I would go for the Root Tele in a heartbeat, but that's just one opinion out of dozens.
hide your kids, hide your wife.

Quote by angus_young_32
I'd rather kill myself than commit suicide.

UG Hatecrew FTW