How long does it usually take you to be able to play from memory, a song that you wrote? We wrote a song yesterday and I'm having a lot of trouble remembering some parts. Any hints on memorizing it easier? Thanks!
Well for songs that i help write usually i remember them straight off. It gets logged in my memory as i come up with something. Just play it over.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Write them down? I think that helps sometimes

If you know the actual parts, denote "A" "B" "C", etc.
then write down
A B A A C B
or something

if you are having trouble with the parts, I'd just say play them over and over
(or if there aren't parts... Hm)
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
When my band writes songs I'm pretty much improvising until I find something that I really like, then I have no trouble remembering it
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Granted--most of the stuff I play that is someone original music (mine or someone elses) is jazz, so I just scribble down the chord progression and usually after a few plays, its enough to lock it all in memory.
we record everything, including practice. my drummer/producer then burns a CD for each of us to take home. even a cheap 4 track(cassette) really helps in remembering those neat little improves you play during a songs development.

Edit: we also "chart" out the song on a big dry erase board for a visual reference during recording sessions.
Last edited by 83lespaulstudio at Dec 9, 2008,
I remember with cues.

ex.
when I hit this note, the drummer accents this beat with a bass drum whack
when I start singing, I stop doing this complicated thing and start hitting that open string like it has to happen

try it.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I just memorize the chord progressions for the most part...there's a few parts in some our songs where I put in a memorized part, but usually it's not necessary. Were I in a more technical band, I'd probably just record the practice and play through it a few times.
Nope, no sig here.
if i cant remember something i usually just write down all the notes in that key, its pretty easy to just have to remember somethin out of 7 different notes X]

that or just tab it out quick and practice it later
I can play a song a few times and remember for a few days, ones I write: I never remember, though. It's really messed up. To memorize stuff, I just play and play and play
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
I remember stuff whenever I start playing it. It's hard to explain really, I can play everything I write (obviously) but whenever I just learned a song I won't remember it until I actually play it again. It'll all come back to me as I hear the song and I'll just start playing it.
Never Missing in Action
If it's a song I wrote, most of the time I can remember it first time. I write songs in sections with the band, so it's really just the same as remembering sections of any other song and putting them together.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by 83lespaulstudio
we record everything, including practice. my drummer/producer then burns a CD for each of us to take home. even a cheap 4 track(cassette) really helps in remembering those neat little improves you play during a songs development.

Edit: we also "chart" out the song on a big dry erase board for a visual reference during recording sessions.

Exactly the same as this... the board is a good idea, though..

we had the same problems, we would have a jam, come up with something good and then not practice for two weeks and forget it all. So we got a little recorder and now all the worries are gone. It also helped our singer loads as he was the only one who felt he couldnt practice at home as he had no music.