A friend i know is buying an amp, and is interested in the laney GH50l...
However, we need to jump from clean to dist in songs, can you do this on a single channel amp without having to use the vol knob on the guitar?

Cheers
yeah... its pretty easy... its called buy a distortion pedal
Total Failure

If every dream is a wish, then to dream of zombies is to wish for an appetite without responsibility
Quote by Slovak_Ghost
yeah... its pretty easy... its called buy a distortion pedal

Why would he buy a nice amp to use with a distortion pedal?

So no.
no you can't, don't bother with a single channel amp
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
Quote by vitchb
Why would he buy a nice amp to use with a distortion pedal?

So no.

is it really a nice amp... if it cannot accomplish the things you need it to do?
and just because it is a nice amp....why can't you use a distortion pedal?.....
most everyone uses pedals
Total Failure

If every dream is a wish, then to dream of zombies is to wish for an appetite without responsibility
Quote by Slovak_Ghost
is it really a nice amp... if it cannot accomplish the things you need it to do?

Well if we cant use it for what we need, we wont use it, which is why i was asking. And he wouldnt use a distortion pedal because 90% of the time, the amp will be playing distortion, and the amp will do that better than pretty much any pedal
Maybe a tubescreamer or something?
What guitar does he have? Anything similar to the controls on a Les Paul would work.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Quote by Slovak_Ghost

most every noob uses pedals.. pedals help shape your tone but you can't rely on a pedal entirely for a good solid distortion, although I'm assuming he wants a saturated tone.

point is, if you want a great... i mean GREAT tone, you can't use pedals. The amp does the muscle work
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
purchase the gh50 then purchase something cheap(like a crate v33) for the cleans

a/b them

best of both worlds
if you love bbe products join the "i heart bbe" group. kthnx (click link below)
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ilovebbe/

Quote by Dempsey68
get a cheap marshall... my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps.
Quote by Chrisiphone
What guitar does he have? Anything similar to the controls on a Les Paul would work.

i like this idea. use the neck pickup for cleans. just keep the volume low on that pu, then flip a switch for clean. it's as easy as that
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.
Quote by touji-za-nai
most every noob uses pedals..

hahaha so I guess every month in Guitar World when they show professionals pedal boards.... they are just noobs.... I understand
Total Failure

Quote by Slovak_Ghost
hahaha so I guess every month in Guitar World when they show professionals pedal boards.... they are just noobs.... I understand

don't be a dick and take it out of context.
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
actually, the gh50l has footswitchable gain, so you can set one to clean/verge of breakup the other to gain

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
The volume knob way would work, at the moment he has a washburn like mine, which can do that, although i was just wondering if it could be done on the amp thats all
Quote by touji-za-nai
don't be a dick and take it out of context.

I really didnt think I was being a dick... Just stating a fact that many professionals with incredible amps use pedals...

and that not only "noobs" use them
Total Failure

^ not many pro's use a distortion pedal through a clean amp.

They may use an OD to saturate their tone more though.
Quote by Slovak_Ghost
I really didnt think I was being a dick... Just stating a fact that many professionals with incredible amps use pedals...

and that not only "noobs" use them

did you even read the rest of my post????

I said that the amp does the work and the pedals shape the tone.

Like my TS9 shapes the tone of my 6505+

You know damn well the noobs I'm talking about are the ones that have a crap amp and use a couple overdrive/distortion pedals on the clean channel for their main tone and end up sounding like rubbish
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
ok cheers guys, i think he might consider the randall rg50t now though, simply due to versatility...