Hi there,

I have just put 10s on my strat (had 9s before) and been getting a few nut sticking problems (its graphite) which I didn't with the 9s. I have discovered that not using the string trees (metal part on the headstock which anchor the strings down for those who don't know ) has solved the problem. It seems to much angle makes the nut grab the string more.

My question is, do I need to use the string trees, they're obviously there for a reason. Is this going to alter the intonation or playability of the guitar?

Thanks!
"Sit your ass down in that f@%$ing chair and drink your GODAMN TEA!!" - Cid, FFVII

Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Standard (trans amber, 60s neck)
USA Fender Strat
Westfield acoustic
Washburn 12-string acoustic
Encore bass
Aria acoustic bass
not the intonation but you might pop the string out of the nut cut, during a bend.

you can also put on a graphtech nut and tree.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
String trees apply downwards pressure to increase the string's break angle over the nut, which can prevent the strings from resonating and losing energy. This sometimes makes the top E and B sound a bit lifeless, tohugh in your case it seems okay.

I had a similar problem with friction, so I ended up fitting a bar retainer from a locking-trem-equipped Ibanez, as you can see on the right of this pic:

It's made my guitar feel a little more responsive, and the screws mean you can actually adjust the break angle to taste. The only disadvantage I can see is it'll leave two small screw-holes on your shiny headstock...

See if you can pick up a bar retainer from your local guitar tech/store, and give it a go. Don't set it too low though, or you may introduce more tuning problems than you solve