Page 1 of 2
Hello everyone!

i just got a new guitar off ebay again

so . i wanted to switch the humbucker off of my new guitar to my wonderful strat

now i no everything now just a couple minor questions..

i can solder like a pro ok
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
so everythings in place and soldered together ,but the only thing i don't understand is :::WHAT IS A GROUND WIRE or EARTH WIRE or GROUND FROM BRIDGE??????

or. Where does this wire go? it goes from 1 of my pots, but i just dont no where the other end goes./

i have a stock tremolo on my guitar(strat) if that helps

thankyou soo much
Through the hole from the control cavity to the bridge cavity.. You solder it onto the trem block.
Gear
Fender Thinline Telecaster Deluxe

1983 Aria Pro II XX Deluxe Flying V

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

1974 Acoustic(brand) 134 4x10 combo

Epiphone Valve Jr.
are you seriouse? wait... so does it matter where on the tremolo block?

is there a prefered spot?
Go into the tremolo cavity, any metal part will do - just don't solder to the springs. They're passive pickups, you won't get an electric shock every time you touch your tremolo. Where was is soldered to originally?

You can solder like a pro but you don't know what ground is?
Jackson Kelly KE3 w/P-Rails; Aria Pro II TSB-350
• ZVex Fuzz Factory; DigiTech Whammy; Danelectro Fish & Chips; Marshall ED1; Fulltone OCD; DigiTech Whammy; Marshall JMP1; Boss CE3; Vox AC4TV

EMU 0404; Reason/Record; M-Audio AV40
Actually on my V it goes all the way to the metal piece that connects the springs and the trem block.

And what he said^
Gear
Fender Thinline Telecaster Deluxe

1983 Aria Pro II XX Deluxe Flying V

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

1974 Acoustic(brand) 134 4x10 combo

Epiphone Valve Jr.
Quote by TomGamari
WHAT IS A GROUND WIRE or EARTH WIRE or GROUND FROM BRIDGE??????

Where does this wire go? it goes from 1 of my pots, but i just dont no where the other end goes./

the guitar should have had one of these when you bought it.
------

Shwiggity.
Dude, like, are you retarded, or did you rip out every piece of wire from your guitar to put your pickup in? Because, in all passive-to-passive pickup swaps, you basically just have to pull the pickup out by the wires its held down by, and re-wire exactly the same. That wire from the bridge should be on the back of a pot or something already..
1992 Gibson Explorer (Seymour Duncan '59 neck, Custom Custom bridge)
Jackson King V Professional Std. (Seymour Duncan Invaders)
Mesa/Boogie Nomad 55
Mesa/Boogie 412 Recto. O/S Cabinet
Boss ME-50
MXR 10-Band EQ
Quote by TomGamari
are you seriouse? wait... so does it matter where on the tremolo block?

is there a prefered spot?

Most people like to put it on the claw that the springs connect to because it doesn't move there. The more the wire moves the more likely it is to break so a place with little movement is best but it doesn't really matter that much.

Edit: Just finished reading the thread. Don't let people get to you, everybody has to learn the electronics somewhere and I too leaned to solder before I understood how the circuits work. The purpose of the ground that goes to the bridge is actually to ground the strings. The strings act like an antenna that collects background hum. If the strings are not grounded that hum is then sent to the pickups and magnified by your amp. If your strings are grounded then all that extra hum goes to ground and doesn't get amplified.
Not taking any online orders.
Last edited by CorduroyEW at Dec 9, 2008,
Thanks CorduroyEW for the most help.. lol great lesson on the ground haha thanks everyone.. im gonna try these ideas later today
DAMN!!!

it doesnt work... i plugged it into my line 6 amp and nuthin...

ok... is there a way for me just to have 1 Volume knob and 1 humbucker with tremolo?

im sorry guys but i really want to get this to work
Could you take a photo of what you've done so far and post it so we can see.
It's very hard to help you fault find without seeing it.
http://img244.imageshack.us/my.php?image=groundwire002oi1.jpg

Thats the ground wire i think

http://img176.imageshack.us/my.php?image=groundwire003vf9.jpg

and thats basekly everything,, the weird soldering job one is the wire from humbucker

http://img410.imageshack.us/my.php?image=themachine001bf1.jpg

and this is the machine lol... call it a piece of crap... i dont care lol
just give it time.. ill make a great paint job
No offense, but this is not at all soldering like a pro. How did you wire the output jack?
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
output jack is that red and blue wire that kind of go together to the right.. um well the wires were never clipped when i removed it from my old (WORKING) guitar so the output jack is works perfect
Quote by asfastasdark
No offense, but this is not at all soldering like a pro. How did you wire the output jack?

The soldering doesn't look that bad at all, but it's hard to see because of the out-of-focus pictures of irrelevant parts. Close-ups of the wiring or a clear diagram of the existing scheme would be best.
I Japanese Fenders
MIJ '86 Strat, MIJ '95 Foto Flame Tele, Jackson JSX-94
Schecter C-1 Classic 3TSB, Takamine EG544SC-4C
Warwick Corvette Fretless MIJ '89 P-Bass Lyte
Fender Geddy Lee Sig Bass, Ibanez DTT700 Destroyer
sorry dude... i only own disposable cameras.. i just came back from walmart getting them back . lol thanks for the feedback on my soldering

ok, so anyone no what i can do with this multimeter????????
oh guess what... everything on the multimeter goes all the way GREEN when i placed them everywhere(everyconnection) and everything works... the only thing that doesnt go all the way green (well actually nothing ) is the Capacitor.
----------------------------------------------
would i need to replace this Capacitor?

well hope this helps.
Last edited by TomGamari at Dec 10, 2008,
Most guitars ground the pickups to the trem claw
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
don't double post.

are you sure you're measuring correctly?

just want to make sure, so you don't get an inaccurate diagnosis.

if so, what kind of capacitor is it? you may have overheated it while soldering?
------

Shwiggity.
i was trying to take it off yesterday with a soldering iron and all it did was just turn brown all over,,, im really dumb when it comes to these things, great thinking man, i just kept trying

um... the capacitor is a green rectangular thing with the code -2A473K

i really think this isnt a real official brand of a capicitor ,

im really sorry for all of these questions but i really want to make this project turn out really nice.

and also... (((((for the testing for positive and negative thing, im not 100% sure where to put the needle things , also what setting should i have it on?
Last edited by TomGamari at Dec 12, 2008,
Yeah, you look like your soldering is REAL pro.... Take it to an ACTUAL pro and pay him to fix it <_< pro's know what they're doing.
you no what... i dont need to hear this... all i would like to do is to get experience and the thrill of actulally doing it by myself
And i'm sure a pro wouldn't mind showing you how to do it. For starters it would be much easier to diagnose your problem IRL and they actually have some experience.
^he's right, hands-on experience is much easier to learn from someone in person.

Either way, does (did) it look like this:

?

you'll want to try and heat the areas for the capacitors quickly so you don't overheat them. otherwise, you'll end up with a buildup of excess solder that just weakens the connection and a bunch of burnt capacitors. make sure you follow your wiring diagram accurately, and it should be pretty simple.
------

Shwiggity.
Those are the exact ones! Awsome find, ok so ya i agree that hands on would me ALOT of help to me but heres the thing, If i go in to my local WoodBros. guitar store and show them my guitar they will laph there asses off lol, i would to but anyways are those capacitors a good brand? or something of that nature? would i need to purchase a couple more?

http://www.seymourduncan.com/pdfs/support/schematics/1hum_1vol.pdf

this is what i want . The only difference is ,is that i do not have The (BARE)(GREEN)(BLACK) wires shown in this diagram, thus i only have the red and white wires from humbucker.
Last edited by TomGamari at Dec 12, 2008,
((Sorry for the double post guys))

Ok sorry for this but just out of the blue... i love van halen ok, and i have a humbucker and 1 volume knob just like eddy, can someone make a diagram of EVH's frankenstein for me. I really think this is the simpilist route to take for me.. haha, also i know i posted the same video and similer question in another thread but this time i have a humbuckerso yes here we go

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIr-WBZT1MI

2:47--3:13

i understand what hes talking about but the only thing is, is that i only need a diagram of this and i should be all set,

again sorry for the double post
Soldering pro that blows a capacitor trying to solder it out. Im sorry what you said was just cocky

I just finished making a 2 P90 circuit with 1 vol, 1 tone, shouldnt the capacitor be connected to both of the pots?

PD: Easiest way to make a circuit is to follow a diagram mechanicly
yes , i agree i was cocky so i fixed the post... anyways, ed's guitar electrical setup seems very simple, is there a way for anyone to make a diagram of what he said?
Thanks again
^ Great diagram, note that the 'Ground symbol" is your ground to the trem claw.
------

Shwiggity.
Great diagram guys!

This is the EXACT way i have my "insides" set up to.

Can anyone figure out where the 2 humbucker wires go?

Last edited by TomGamari at Dec 13, 2008,
ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? REALLY? i was that close!!!! oh my gosh thank you soo much!!

ill try it tomaro!

Thanks alot!
DAMN! is doesnt work... But there is a major improvement ,,

before when all this started, i plugged it into my amp and all i heard was absoulutly nothing.

when i just finished the diagram above on my guitar i plugged it into my amp and I hear something, its staticy but atleast the amp knows theres a humbucker in there,,

I dont get it, i did everything pretty good, any suggestions?
switch the two leads on your jack and see if it makes a difference.
------

Shwiggity.
Page 1 of 2