I'm looking for a loud, clean amp for the other guitarist in my (side project, not the power pop) band. The only specifications he gave were that it had to be lighter than my Twin Reverb combo and that it must be able to take abuse.

His current rig is as follows:
Peavey 6505 head (Voodoo platinum mod)
Mesa Recto Standard 412 (V30s)
Hiwatt Custom 100
Hiwatt cab (Fanes)
Carvin Legacy combo

Gibson LP Standard Double cut
Rickenbacker 650 Dakota

Boss TU-2
Analogman King of Tone
Skreddy Lunar Module
Empress Tremolo
Boss VB-2 Vibrato
Subdecay Prometheus
Digitech Whammy 4
Dr. Scientist Reverberator
EHX Deluxe Memory Man
EHX Micro Synth
(I don't know his actual signal path)

Style of music: Post-rock (along the lines of Russian Circles). He doesn't like to gig with his Hiwatt because, well, he babies it. We're asking because he is used to the Hiwatt and has been looking at SF Fenders, but would like to know of some modern amps out there that fit the criteria. BTW, we're going to DC.

We're going amp shopping tomorrow, so expect a Spam/review thread tomorrow night.
Quote by Boring Frog
the only thing that comes to mind is a roland JC.

+1
The JC120 would be loud, there is a 65 watt or something that might not be loud enough if you absolutely need lighter...
Can we get it in head form?

Also, a lot of head room is absolutely necessary. So 100 watts is not out of the question,
thats why i mentioned the JC, its SS so headroom is infinity, not really but you know what i mean.

I dont think they come in head form if they do ive never seen one.

But with bomb ass pedals like that trough a JC it would sound amazing.
Quote by Boring Frog
thats why i mentioned the JC, its SS so headroom is infinity, not really but you know what i mean.

Yea, I know that. I was asking if there was a head form of it. I have never seen one.

The second part of that reply was a preemptive measure against the noobs who will want to regurgitate the "you don't need 100 watts" BS.
"you dont need a 100 watts you ****ing moron"
If you dot care for cleans.

Haahahahahahha, whats bad with 100 watts.
Quote by Boring Frog
"you dont need a 100 watts you ****ing moron"
If you dot care for cleans.

Haahahahahahha, whats bad with 100 watts.

It came from all the bedroom/ club players who bought tube amps and wanted break-up at a reasonable volume. From there, it became a blanket statement for everyone buying a tube amp that 100 watts would be overkill.
^sounds like total BS to me.
They forgot to put into acount aplications aspect of it.
Sayin 100 watts is overkill is stupid, alot of the times i feel like my crate V18 is overkill compared to 50 watter just because its 18 watts and brakes up quick and gets loud quick.
A twin reverb would totally fit the bill... there's not a head, is there?

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Quote by Boring Frog
^sounds like total BS to me.

It is. You haven't been here long enough to see the bandwagon effect.

Ask about:
Gibson QC
Orange Amps
Blackhearts
100 watts for band situations
used gear
Bugera

etc

Then count the number of posts from people who have all of one, twenty minute experience with the product tell you it is a godsend/ the spawn of satan. Conversely, most people here have never tried true boutique amps nor have they ever spent extensive time playing "high end" gear; most just make assumptions based on the experiences of a few senior members of this board (Gabe, DaveMC, myself, Jinskee, Erock, Mr. Hankey, several others)
Quote by stradivari310

Its called a dual showman and they are out of production. Ideally, that is what we are looking for, but we only have so many shops and they aren't the easiest find.
Last edited by colin617 at Dec 9, 2008,
Get yourself a blackface dual showman. It's basically a twin reverb head. There is one on ebay right now.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by CorduroyEW
Get yourself a blackface dual showman. It's basically a twin reverb head. There is one on ebay right now.

Good suggestion. However, I think he is more interested in the Silverface that is also on eBay.
A Dr.Z Route 66 should work but it only has 32 Watts RMS but the Divided by 13 RRJ 50/100 has both 50 watts and 100 watts both at class ab1.
ESP Vintage 4
Fender American Special Jazz
Fender American Deluxe Precision
Ibanez SR700
Jackson DXMG
Fender American Standard Telecaster
SWR Black Beauty
Orange Thunderverb 50

Modulus Quantum 5 fund-$2150/$3369
Quote by Blacken Seas
A Dr.Z Route 66 should work but it only has 32 Watts RMS but the Divided by 13 RRJ 50/100 has both 50 watts and 100 watts both at class ab1.

Noted. I doubt he will spring for the /13 since he babies the Hiwatt so.
Style of music: Post-rock (along the lines of Russian Circles)

Yessssss

If you want loud and clean I don't see anything wrong with an old Fender
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
a silverface bassman head might do the trick
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.
Quote by stradivari310

alot of people on ebay sell twin reverb heads

i think they just took the combo and put the chasis[?sorry not too amp savvy] and put it in a mojotone cabinet
could be worth checking out

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Quote by Survivalism
Loud and clean? Orange?

Suggesting Orange for a loud and clean amp is like suggesting a Marshall for a loud and clean amp. There is nothing clean about Orange amps.
Quote by colin617
It is. You haven't been here long enough to see the bandwagon effect.

Ask about:
Gibson QC
Orange Amps
Blackhearts
100 watts for band situations
used gear
Bugera

etc

Then count the number of posts from people who have all of one, twenty minute experience with the product tell you it is a godsend/ the spawn of satan. Conversely, most people here have never tried true boutique amps nor have they ever spent extensive time playing "high end" gear; most just make assumptions based on the experiences of a few senior members of this board (Gabe, DaveMC, myself, Jinskee, Erock, Mr. Hankey, several others)

Exactly. The problem is the backfire from it. Some people say I'm wrong and just bandwagoning. The problem is that the bandwagon in question is based on things I'VE said... But not based on their own opnions. For an example you can't hate the Vintage Modern here, because then you're a bandwagoner. The thing was that I was the first member to try one and I disliked it (and I was looking at buying one back then, so I was biased TOWARDS it at first) but it never sounded very good.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Never really noticed a Blackheart bandwagon.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
whats wrong with your Twin Reverb?

get a dumble steel string singer.

not really. but try a fender steel king. its a SS amp made for pedal steels, it sounds great though.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
He said he's going to wait until after Christmas. When we went out, he didn't find anything that he liked. (The JC-120 was too stale for him).

We're thinking Bassman 100.