So I want to write an essay on music, basically just a study of it, for my english 30 AP class. I want to have a good topic with a good answer, almost like a sam dunn thing (for those of you who dont know sam dunn made "a headbangers journey" and "global metal"). i dont plan on travelling around like he did but i just need a good topic and i thought the pit could help (dont know why........its not like we get much stuff done here anyways)

Joke topics are welcome (since the topic can be on anything some joke ones might actually be good)

TLDR; need a good topic for a music study essay thingy

Thx in advance
Banquo?

X
Write about how music helps people deal with stress.
This is why I don't like arguing on the internet.
Quote by damian_91
If only you could back that statement up.
Quote by Zombee
Wolfgang's Philadelphia Study. Look it up yourself.
Quote by damian_91
No need to, absurd generalizations aren't my thing.
Write about Slayer's Pro-Life song, Silent Scream. The Antichrist, anti-abortion!?

Or write about Tool (imagery, symbols, lyrical meaning/derivations, math in Lateralus)
Quote by KwikKopy
Effect of Music on the Vietnam War Era

this.
rock music and 'nam - real cool history there
When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
syd barrett. do a music study on hes raopid decline in mentality because of the opink floyd
Quote by KwikKopy
Effect of Music on the Vietnam War Era

good idea, but i think a more broad approach is needed, cause i know about like disturbed is big with war and such like that, so instead of focusing on one war, focus on war as a whole

do you think that is a better idea? or just stick with Vietnam War Era?
Banquo?

X
well dp you wanna do artists singing ABOUT war
or music AND war (how music influenced war, etc)
you can spin this any way you like
When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
Quote by whitetiger4000
good idea, but i think a more broad approach is needed, cause i know about like disturbed is big with war and such like that, so instead of focusing on one war, focus on war as a whole

War in general sounds good, though the Vietnam War should get most of the focus.
Josh Homme writes the greatest lyrics EVAR:
"I wish we could get away
Drink wine and screw"

"Nicotine, valium, vicodin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol
C-C-C-C-Cocaine!"

"I wanna lick you too much"

Own this Black Sabbath shirt?
both, probably going to look at how music influenced soldiers, protest songs, and how war influenced music. i just need some good examples on how.
Banquo?

X
Quote by whitetiger4000

I think just Vietnam is broad enough. It's a very big selection of music to choose from. All the rock in that era... You could do an entire paper on Woodstock if you wanted.
Quote by KwikKopy
I think just Vietnam is broad enough. It's a very big selection of music to choose from. All the rock in that era... You could do an entire paper on Woodstock if you wanted.

I agree. You'd be surprised at how much you can get from the vietnam era. If you choose a broad topic like war in general, then I think a couple of things could happen

1) In attempt to get a broad view of Music and War, you lack depth. Because the topic is so broad, you'll spend so much time touching the surface of thousands of idea, but never formulate a detailed analysis of any of them.

2)Same as situation 1, except this time, you actually go in depth...problem...this is a TON of material. To this you'll be writing hundreds of pages. (not ideal for a High School assignment)

3) You pick scattered topics within broad range and go in depth on them. But because they're scattered, the essay feels empty and has holes in it.

I don't know if any of that makes sense. It does in my head, but I think I explained it poorly.

IMO, the narrower topics are better, as long as there is enough information to write a coherent essay, and there is plenty about Vietnam.
Quote by Sonicxlover
I once told a Metallica fan I liked Megadeth, and he stabbed me 42 times.
Quote by weorge
syd barrett. do a music study on hes raopid decline in mentality because of the opink floyd

Wow... ironic
Quote by Chrisiphone
Oh wow this is a guitar forum!
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Why is it that some folks quote praise from other members in their sig lines?
Its lame.
sorry to bring back a dead thread, but how would i do an entire paper on woodstock like KwikKopy said? I think (considering i know next to nothing about the vietnam war and the paper's due tmorow) that a paper just on woodstock would be better
Banquo?

X