Okay guys I dunno if this sounds stupid... but I seem to be stuck in a rut with my guitar...
If I'm soloing over a track, I only like... know the licks I know. Where am I meant to learn or find new licks and generally update my technique:P

Also, I seem to be constantly stuck in the pentatonic scale, probably because I don't know any others :P I don't know anything about music theory... Should I learn to open my mind to the guitar a little?
uh... yeah, you should, all of the above will do. also try to listen to artists who are more diatonic/harmonic
Where do I start and what exactly should I pay attention to?
I don't really fancy the idea of sitting reading a book to learn how to jam lol
Yes!!! The Best Thing You Can Do Is Learn, Even If Only Very Mild, Scalar Theory, It Will Help Enormously!!! Good Luck!!!
scalesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss
QUOTE=HappyDrugs]Spectator mode.

Quote by Daneeka
Oh God, this is the fastest win i have ever seen.

I think the mods can't bare with your epicness and banned you.

Let's blaze, put this in your sig if you want to get high
learn a different scale and jam?

im stuck in the same thing.
and the only way to get out of playing the pentatonic all the time is to stop playing it lol
learn how to solo in blues.You will be able to play and solo over any hendrix and led zeppelin song.
Its very simple to learn. 3 easy boxes that can easily be played anywhere on the fretboard.
|-------------0-3-|
|---------0-3-----|
|-----0-2---------|
|-0-2-------------|
|-----------------|
|-----------------|
Last edited by Cobra Strike at Dec 9, 2008,
Get very familiar with major and minor pent. then learn where you can play them in one key. So if the song is in Cmaj, you can do Dmin Pent, Emin Pent, Amin pent, Cmaj pent, Fmaj pent, Gmaj
Put a bunch of random music on, stuff you might not listen to (even classical tracks) and just jam over it, you'll soon figure out what notes sound good and which ones dont.

then you can learn what scale(s) you have been playing and expand on it
God and Country are an unbeatable team; they break all records for oppression and bloodshed.
The only way to break free of the pentatonic box is to stop using them. Learn the notes of the fretboard more, then you can solo in any key you want and play whatever your mind can think of.
Quote by Myung-trucci
The only way to break free of the pentatonic box is to stop using them. Learn the notes of the fretboard more, then you can solo in any key you want and play whatever your mind can think of.

+1

strictly speaking if you don't know the notes you're using and don't know any theory then you don't actually know any scales. You might know some patterns that fit a certain scale, but that's not the same and knowing and understanding the scale itself.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
^+1000

Notes are not numbers on lines. Tab should only be something to make your life easier when you do learn to read music.