I play an Ibanez Rg470, I am wondering if there is any pedal that can make it sound like a banjo, as I am into bluegrass, but not into spending hundreds of quid.

Anyone point me in the right direction?
You could always just pick up a banjo. It'd probably be a similar price to trying to mould your guitar tone.

Although, if you're insistant, those Roland pickups you can buy are really cool for the banjo sounds. Although they look ugly as hell when mounted on your guitar.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Hmm, I've seen Acoustic Simulator pedals, but never a banjo one.
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
Quote by xHellbound
You can do anything with the right amount of quid.

quid = pounds, common british term
I sat next to a nun on the bus once, she said hi

Twitter: @Pikey_P - wise words right there.
Quote by MrToucan
I play an Ibanez Rg470, I am wondering if there is any pedal that can make it sound like a banjo, as I am into bluegrass, but not into spending hundreds of quid.

Anyone point me in the right direction?

Try just playing your guitar like a banjo, you'll be surprised how many people don't give a crap what instrument you're playing as long as the notes are right. Try not to use too much colloquial English around here, it confuses all the poor Americans.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
A British person...wanting to play bluegrass...through a pedal?
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
Quote by lespaul#1

OMGzz crazy stuff!
ohai little sig.
Quote by lespaul#1

Im british and like bluegras playing, isnt that wierd
I sat next to a nun on the bus once, she said hi

Twitter: @Pikey_P - wise words right there.
Hell, me too. Good playing is good playing, as far as I'm concerned.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
I guess it's as weird as me liking Surf, though I live near the Beach. Bluegrass and country, you don't really think of them as leaving America.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
Ever heard of buckethead? He has something that makes it sound exactly like a banjo. He uses it in the song hog bitch stomp. Its amazing, look it up. I dont know what he uses exactly, ill look it up for you if ya want.
Quote by vegetable-jim
quid = pounds, common british term

Thanks for the info. Still a funny word though.
I heard a guy with a saxophone and trumpet pedal the other day. Heard him playing taps and the horserace theme on a trumpet and I turn around and it's a damn telecaster.
The only thing I can think of to suggest is to buy a delay (I use a Boss DD-6) and dial in the setting to a slap-back delay while playing on your bridge pup on your amps clean channel. Finger picks might help to to get that really twangy-ish sound.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
its not a true banjo, but they make a 'bangitar' six stringer same as guitar, but not really a real banjo. it gets the sound but not the concept. the fifth string is a much shorter scale than the others and when fingerpicked it is used. that is part of the sound. if you want to learn a new instrument do it right. buy a banjo. they aren't terribly expensive.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I sold my banjo for $175 on Craigslist within the last year because I wasn't playing it. It was a decent banjo too with a case, though it was strictly acoustic. But if all you've ever played is guitar it's not like you can just pick up a 5-string banjo and play it. The tuning's different and that 5th string doesn't even go all the way up the neck to the nut.

There are six-string guitar/banjos you can buy for not much more than a good pedal costs which are actually tuned like a guitar but sound like a banjo. Get one of those plus a set of fingerpicks and you might be in business.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Try just playing your guitar like a banjo, you'll be surprised how many people don't give a crap what instrument you're playing as long as the notes are right. Try not to use too much colloquial English around here, it confuses all the poor Americans.
"poor Americans", is that what the Arrakins call us? I thought the actual Englanders referred to us as, "upstart colonists"!

That being said, and despite being American, I know that, "a quid is a pound the world around". (Sorry for the derivative poetry).

You had to know quite a bit of British slang to suffer the early Genesis albums. Waste of effort learning it, IMO....

At the OP, I know it's tough on E-1 strings, but try tuning it to G above middle C. That's a very salient source of the 5 string banjo's distinction. Other than that, perhaps a ring modulator and envelope filter with out of phase pickups, on a clean channel. It won't really sound like a banjo, "homage" would be a better term. Banjos "plunk", those effects should kill some of the guitar's sustain.

(Accept my apology is I've mis-attributed the "poor Americans" quote to you).
Last edited by Captaincranky at Jan 11, 2012,
Roland VG-99 V-Guitar System.

You can make a banjo sound or have a full string section backing