Hey im looking for a bass amp between $300-400 and ive pretty much narrowed my choices down to these two amps. which would you suggest? reliability is very important to me, I play mostly metal, with some bass soloing.
any other suggestions for amps in this price and wattage range are welcome. (used are good too.)
'64 Gibson SG Special
'68 Gibson ES-335
'?? Schecter C-1 Classic
'?? Ibanez GSR-200
I have a mag half stack, and personally i think its awesome, so that'd be my choice. I play a little metal, prog metal and post rock, its pretty versatile
Gear:
Musicman Sub Sterling
Yamaha RBXJM2
Ashdown MAG 300 Head + Ashdown 410T Cab
Bass Big Muff Pi
Korg Pitchblack
Morley Dual Bass Wah
Yep get the mag and a sansamp to help you with any other tones.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by fatgoogle
Yep get the mag and a sansamp to help you with any other tones.

he's got it right.

i'm getting a sansamp for x mas and running it with boss Geb-7, MIM jazz and Mag 300.

i don't mean to brag about my rig. but i can get pretty much any kinda tone i want. with in reason.

i suggest the mag.
I play bass!
As for reliability, ive never played the backline but i own the mag and its built like a tank. I dont push it to hard, at most at 3 oclock on both input and output and i havent blown anything yet.
'85 Fender Reissue '75 Jazz Bass ---> Ashdown MAG300h
Schecter C/SH-1 ---> Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
alright, so it seems the mag is the better choice.
one thing i don't understand though, is why I would need to dish out $200 for a sansamp when the mag has a di out. is there anything else that offers the same tonal flexibility, without the price tag?
'64 Gibson SG Special
'68 Gibson ES-335
'?? Schecter C-1 Classic
'?? Ibanez GSR-200
Quote by Madman1444
alright, so it seems the mag is the better choice.
one thing i don't understand though, is why I would need to dish out $200 for a sansamp when the mag has a di out. is there anything else that offers the same tonal flexibility, without the price tag?

the sansamp isn't just a DI.

its got awesome tonal options. 3 band EQ
idk hard to describe. but once you check it out you'll understand.
I play bass!
Check out Ebay.

They have Hartke 3500, GK 450, 700, Peavey amps.

Good reliable ones going from 300-400.

Some better than the ones you listed.
The only GK Id buy is the really small one. The one thats like 150w, 1 15in speaker, and the size of a beginner practice amp.

But I still wouldnt use that as my main amp. Id just keep it in my car or somewhere handy for those situations that just pop up
The MAG is, as stated above, a pretty surefire way of getting good tone for a cheap buck. I own one myself and I love it to bits.
I am currently torn between buying a 1x15cab for it or getting a sansamp myself
Maruszczyk Jake X Redburst
Woodo B5x Aboyna Burl
Ashdown MAG300H + Ashdown 1x15 (Eminence Delta 15)

Believing Carlos!
I would get the 1x15 sell the 4x10 and buy another 1x15, Im starting to like 15's more and more. But the sansamp would be better to go with for the moment unless you need all those watts. It will improve you tone no end.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by fatgoogle
I would get the 1x15 sell the 4x10 and buy another 1x15, Im starting to like 15's more and more. But the sansamp would be better to go with for the moment unless you need all those watts. It will improve you tone no end.

No way man The 4x10 stays, period

However, the Sansamp is sex. I'll have to try some out at the local store, if they carry them ofc.
Maruszczyk Jake X Redburst
Woodo B5x Aboyna Burl
Ashdown MAG300H + Ashdown 1x15 (Eminence Delta 15)

Believing Carlos!
Well if they dont you can always take the risk and buy one on the millions of happy users in the world. I btw dont have one but i mean too.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul