Hey, just wondering if anyone could help me out here. I'm looking for a few unique sounds, here's what I'm looking for :
Smashing Pumpkins, Metallica, Iron Maiden, and Avenged Sevenfold.

If anyone could help me out, I'll list my gear here:

Amp : Peavey Bandit 112,

Pedals : Distortion DS-1, Heavy Metal HM-2, Metal Zone MZ-2, Compression Sustainer CS-2.

If anyone could tell me what settings I can put stuff to get certain sounds, it would be greatly appreciated. (=
Wait, your whole rig there?

If you don't have a guitar you might have some trouble

Anyway. Use the CS2 for the Pumpkins too, because Corgan's tone is quite compressed. For everything else, just crank the gain really. I don't know much about your distortion pedals though.
lol :P
I do have a few guitars, I find the CS-2 just sharpens the sound(I find ti good for shredding solos when combined with distortion) any idea what I should put the settings to? ( the little knobby things lol :P)
At least for metallica, boost the bass and treble, and keep the mids low (just not all the way off). However for the newer stuff they've been adding mids, which is actually a good thing. Try that on all the pedals...each one is unique and will yield its own sound.
Here's another small hint...you don't have to max the distortion. The more you add, the more it muddies up your sound. Some people would flip if they knew most big name players like the ones you listed keep their gain between half and 3/4. You don't need as much as you think you do.