Well sorta useless thread but, I like to play alot of metal solo's, and I get frustrated when I come across a solo I wanna learn but it goes all the way down tot he 24'th fret, all my guitars are 22 >.>
Does anyone think it's worth it to get a 24 fret guitar or just stick witht he 22'ers
Quote by Tempoe
I like the 24s, more space up there and 12 more notes...why not?

You mean 2 more notes right?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

I think he may mean 2 extra notes per string (x6) = 12?
Quote by Rickjames730
Looks like a heavily modded FAT model. Don't quote me on that though.

You tempted me.

Quote by SpellCaster
Me "You see the neck on this guitar ?"
Her "Yeah"
Me "It's how long my penis is"
Her

Haha!
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
2 more notes on every string = 12 notes.
most of my guitars have 24 frets but there are two exception my RR3 and S470DXQM have 22 frets. i think worth having two extra frets.
ESP Vintage 4
Fender American Special Jazz
Fender American Deluxe Precision
Ibanez SR700
Jackson DXMG
Fender American Standard Telecaster
SWR Black Beauty
Orange Thunderverb 50

Modulus Quantum 5 fund-$2150/$3369
yea man, i bought a cheap ibanez the other day with 24 frets, they good
i never use all 24, but it's always hard to get to the last couple frets. so at least having 24 makes it easier to use 22. but you dont really need it
Quote by BlackandSilver
Kill 'em All in St Anger with the help of the Master of Puppets. He can Ride the Lightning, creating a Death Magnetic.

Myspace
Ive been thinking the same question for the past couple of months.

For me, I dont think it would be worth it - but thats just because I dont think im ready yet. Ive just started to have a go at a few Children of Bodom songs, but Im not skilled enough to play anywhere near the speeds they reach.

Also my current guitar is still rather good.

Ultimately, Id say its upto you.. on how much you play guitar, and how often you get frustrated at a 24-fret solo, and how much money you have :P
Did you know that 37% of all statistics are made up on the spot?
couldn't the effect be almost the same if the cutaway on the guitar was much larger? so you can bend up to get the next octave?
Get it if you're sure really like the guitar. Don't downgrade just for 24 frets. But like the others said, you only get 2 more notes.
Quote by Poglia
2 more notes on every string = 12 notes.

True enough but I don't think I've EVER seen anyone use those frets on the lower strings.

Besides, it's only 2 new notes; the rest are just different positions for old notes.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Its not too necessary, most of the time it can be solved by massive prebends.
yes, only 2 new notes but 12 new positions, it usually allows for another mode. I use the 23/24th fret with the low E and A often, I keep my thumb well behind the neck when playing up there (thin fingers help too).
Last edited by Tempoe at Dec 9, 2008,
Quote by Tempoe
yes, only 2 new notes but 12 new positions, it usually allows for another mode in most keys. I use the 23/24th fret with the low E and A often, I have long thin fingers though.

You mean another position in most keys; that's not what modes are.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
You mean another position in most keys; that's not what modes are.

yea thats what i mean.
Last edited by Tempoe at Dec 9, 2008,
Why not just get a guitar with 28 frets? I think Yngwie has one!
and on 1 side that's a joke
on the other side, amount of frets is rlly important in metal I guess, so why not?
Quote by Retro Rocker

haha

*wipes tear from eye*
Oh you're good.
Quote by Metal Demon 616
Ultimately, Id say its upto you.. on how much you play guitar, and how often you get frustrated at a 24-fret solo, and how much money you have :P

yep, that's pretty much it. if it's happening a lot and you have spare money, get something with 24 frets.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Bear in mind too that 24 fret guitars have to move the neck pickup backwards, which will have a slightly negative impact on sustain, and also removes some of the dynamic and harmonic response of the neck pickup.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Yes, makes the 2 pickups sound slightly more similar to each other.

Quote by MrFlibble
Bear in mind too that 24 fret guitars have to move the neck pickup backwards, which will have a slightly negative impact on sustain, and also removes some of the dynamic and harmonic response of the neck pickup.
yeah, the neck pickup will sound a little different. i wouldn't necessarily say it sounds worse though- it makes it a little brighter/clearer, which can be better for metal and shred (but worse for more classic styles).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well i mostly play rhythm, and i prefer 22. Whatever you want bro, get it. It will be your guitar. Get what YOU want.
yeah, definitely. i like both, just for different things...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Base Ics
Why not just get a guitar with 28 frets? I think Yngwie has one!
and on 1 side that's a joke
on the other side, amount of frets is rlly important in metal I guess, so why not?

think that's alot? Uli Jon Roth has a 42 fretter!
Quote by MoleMania
think that's alot? Uli Jon Roth has a 42 fretter!

Yeah...with no neck pickup...that sounds terrible anyway

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.