Noob question, But I need help.

Been playing for 11 months, i'm left handed but the reason I picked up the guitar was to shred and to try make a career when i'm older (15 atm) I get that passionate fire in my heart when I think about it...

Ultimately, I wanna be like Herman-Li (from Dragonforce). The bands i'm listening to atm are Dragonforce, Nitro, Iron Maiden, Metallica, Children of Bodom, Airbourne, Velvet Revolver and Trivium.

Also, I looked up the tab for the intro to 'Be Quick Or Be Dead' by Iron Maiden. Is there a technqiue I could use to help remember remember the tab and to play it more accurately.

Cheers!!

-PMK
Last edited by Power Metal Kid at Dec 9, 2008,
A: Everybody's going to hate you now for citing Herman Ri as an influence
B: Just memorise it, there's no trick.
Quote by Rock Pig
A: Everybody's going to hate you now for citing Herman Ri as an influence
B: Just memorise it, there's no trick.

+1

Yeah, Herman Ri doesn't have much feel, imo.

Kind of like..

YNGWIE FATSTEEN.
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.
Quote by V.U.K

YNGWIE FATSTEEN.

Ahahahahaha.
See what he did thar?

I digress. You need to start out pretty easy. Learn some AC/DC and Airbourne, because if you bite off more than you can chew, it'll be detrimental to your learning.
Quote by Power Metal Kid
Noob question, But I need help.

Been playing for 11 months, i'm left handed but the reason I picked up the guitar was to shred and to try make a career when i'm older (15 atm) I get that passionate fire in my heart when I think about it...

Ultimately, I wanna be like Herman-Li (from Dragonforce).

sigged.
Gear

93 Jackson Dinky Professional Reverse
98 Jackson Kelly KE3

Peavey Bandit 112
Custom 2x10 cab w/Bugeras
Quote by Rock Pig

Don't be such a jerk.

I'm sorry. I honestly couldn't resist.
Gear

93 Jackson Dinky Professional Reverse
98 Jackson Kelly KE3

Peavey Bandit 112
Custom 2x10 cab w/Bugeras
Quote by Tempoe
practice more than shred.

Practice. you will understand more of what your playing and realizing what the musician is doing if you practice more and work on your theory more.
your gonna need it to shred yourself and get to where you want to me. trust me i need to do it more too.

gian
Quote by shredforbread33
I'm sorry. I honestly couldn't resist.

No seriously TS. We're not bashing your tastes, just... The general consensus here is that while Herman Li sounds great in the studio, he's a very sloppy player live and isn't that creative.
But you do need to start with the basics. Eleven months is quite a while (about how long I've been playing) but I still have to admit that it's not enough to move on to the hard stuff. Relatively simple songs and excercises should be the bulk of your (and my) practise, really. Save the Iron Maiden for later.
+1

picking up the guitar because you're inspired by certain artists is great, however you need to understand that it takes a long time to get to that kind of level. You can't just pick up the guitar and say "I want to shred, teach me" - ultimately shredding is just very, very good guitar playing. Guys like that are good not because they practiced anything special, they're good because they spent years perfecting the BASICS, the bread and butter techniques that every player relies on. They pick cleanly and accurately, they can move round the fretboard effortlessly, they fret every note perfectly, their bends are controlled and to pitch every time and they know the fretboard like the back of their hand and know what sound they'll get.

Notice how I didn't mention stuff like pinch harmonics, or tapping, or sweeping? That's because they're not all that important - those are things you can embellish your playing with, but they're nigh-on useless if you don't have anything to embellish.

Most "shredders" also have a massive breadth of musical knowledge to draw on, you don't become a shredder by listening to shredders - you need to listen to everything and understand many different types of music, blues, pop, jazz, classical, rock, metal, country...everything. So start casting your net wider, listen to more music.

There's two really good ways to do this. One is to read up on your heroes and find out who, in turn, inspired them. The more you understand what makes them tick the more you'll understand their music.

The other thing to do is chart the evolution of guitar music, start around the 50's with blues and rock and roll, Robert Johnson, BB King, Chuck Berry, T-Bone Walker, Scotty Moore, Buddy Holly. Then follow through the 60's with instrumental stuff like the Shadows and surf music, and all the Woodstock generation, bands like CCR, the Who, Jimi Hendrix, Cream, then through to the 70's for stuff like Free, Black Sabbath, Deep purple, Led Zeppelin, KISS, Lynyrd Skynyrd, and also the birth of punk with the likes of the Ramones, the Clash and the Sex Pistols. Then drift into the 80's for the birth of metal and thrash and the heyday of heavy rock and big hair, Iron Maiden, AC/DC, Guns N Roses, Motley Crue, Thin Lizzy, Metallica, Megadeth, Van Halen, Judas Priest and Ozzy's solo stuff - but don't forget some the legendary British bands that appeared then, especially the Stone Roses and the Smiths. Then into the 90's which is where instrumental shred really took off and guys like Vai and Satriani made a name for themselves, along with Eric Jonhson, MAB, Paul Gilbert, Marty Friedman and a host of others - but also check out the other side of the coin which saw bands like Nirvana, Soundgarden and the Red Hot Chili Peppers burst into the maintream and the "Britpop" phenomenon that gave us Blur and (unfortunately) Oasis etc etc....

...i've missed hundreds of amazing guitarists and bands out there, it's just to give you a little idea as to how much is out there. The music you love didn't just "appear", it evolved over the last 60 years as the instrument itself eveolved. You'll learn far more and become a much more rounded and capable guitarist if your own development follows that same evolutionary path.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Also, if you want to develop a great rhythm picking technique, get into death metal.

I've lately gotten into Necrophagist and All Shall Perish, and the rhythm guitar sections are very complex and require very accurate picking technique.

So maybe in a year or two when you get bored of playing the simple fun stuff, you could check these guys out
Quote by V.U.K
+1

Yeah, Herman Ri doesn't have much feel, imo.

Kind of like..

YNGWIE FATSTEEN.

You think Yngwie has no feel? You must be joking right?
Quote by Mase947
You think Yngwie has no feel? You must be joking right?

The only feeling Yngwie has is in his tastebuds...

Sorry, couldn't resist.

He may have a lot of feel and emotion, but IMO he just gets caught up in the same pattern time after time, which is the fast raping of the harmonic minor.