To cut the the chase, read the bold :}

I've played classical guitar for about half a year now. I enjoy it, but I want to try electric guitar. Currently I have this cheap ~80 dollar electric and an equally terrible amp, so I want to upgrade both the amp and electric guitar.

It needs to be versatile because I like to play all kinds of music. Blues, 80s rock, classic rock, modern rock, alternative, whatever. To get a better picture I like artists such as Slash, Santana, RHCP, Sublime, Led Zep, Randy Rhoads, etc.

I'm not sure how much my parents are willing to spend for christmas, but lets assume that my money plus theirs gives me a budget of abut $600-800.

Thanks.
Last edited by ben hause at Dec 9, 2008,
I think the most versitile guitars will usually have a humbucker in the bridge and a single coil in the neck and maybe a middle position also. My guitar is so sweet with cleans and so dirty with gain...does it all, I use the neck single for blues and clean tele/strat sounds and the bridge for hi-gain leads. Love the EMG-S and SA singles!
http://www.rondomusic.com/ps1000.html

That

&

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Vypyr-30-30W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=482909

Use the rest of the money to:
Buy an extra set of strings
Dunlop Jazz III Plectrums
Buy a Seymour Duncan Invador/Dimarzio Edge Bridge for the bridge position to get the metal sound you need. Keep the neck pickup as is, use that for softer songs.

EDIT: Prices:
Guitar - $360
Amp - $200
Pickup - $80 - $100
Strings + Picks - $30 MAX.

Total Price : $690 or so.
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.
Last edited by V.U.K at Dec 9, 2008,
If you have an $800 budget, and like Zep, Slash, Santana, etc. this would be a good set up for you. Epiphone Les Paul Standard and a Peavey Vypyr 75 or Vypyr 30. Pretty versatile guitar, but incredibly versatile, and useful amp ^_^

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Standard-Plain-Top?sku=517413

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Vypyr-75-75W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=482910
michael kelly valor custom
http://www.michaelkellyguitars.com/valor_custom.html
i have it and i love it. if thats too expensive try the valor x
http://www.michaelkellyguitars.com/valor_x.html
or one of the patriots. trust me michae kelly's are seriously the best for that price range, they come with good pickups, coil taps, and really comfy.
Quote by illuminatiano
do not go on guitar forums

there are drugs there

( and ololol there are )
My vote goes to a PRS SE Custom and a 15w Vox Valvetronix.
Last edited by B. Jammin at Dec 9, 2008,
Quote by V.U.K
http://www.rondomusic.com/ps1000.html

That

&

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Vypyr-30-30W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=482909

Use the rest of the money to:
Buy an extra set of strings
Dunlop Jazz III Plectrums
Buy a Seymour Duncan Invador/Dimarzio Edge Bridge for the bridge position to get the metal sound you need. Keep the neck pickup as is, use that for softer songs.

EDIT: Prices:
Guitar - $360
Amp - $200
Pickup - $80 - $100
Strings + Picks - $30 MAX.

Total Price : $690 or so.

Most of this. Except, don't do the pickup swap, or at least not the one he said, because if you want versatility those pickups will screw you. Also consider a Roland Cube as an amp.
Standard MIM Stratocaster, or a Epiphone LP Standard.

Both great guitars, but the Strat leans toward Blues, Classic Rock, Alternative and Indie while the LP leans towards 80s Rock, Big Hair, etc.

The strat has the classic style but the LP has the crunchy attitude.

If you really want it all in one package, which you might not want later on down the road, you can do a MIM stratocaster HSS, which means that there are Single Coils in the neck / middle positions for classic tones, and a Humbucker in the bridge for heavier music. Generally these setups sacrifice tonal quality for versatility, however.
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
Actually a Vypyr is better than a Cube IMO. Has more options, is a Hybrid amp, and is cheaper than a Cube for all the features. =)
Quote by EclipseCT
Actually a Vypyr is better than a Cube IMO. Has more options, is a Hybrid amp, and is cheaper than a Cube for all the features. =)

Cubes sound better to me, though, and I prioritise that.
@RockPig: What's wrong with putting in the Invaders/Edge in the bridge? I'd imagine it'd work fine, though I've never done any pickup swaps myself, and have been using the 650T + 750R copys in my Special II for the last 2 and a half years.
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.
i just bought the most versitile guitar out there..

ibanez SA260. has 2 inputs one for piezo..and the acoustic sounds great. You can play both together which sounds great live. i got a coil split EMG81 and an Evo tapped. its mahogany body for sustain and maple neck for brightness and neck playability. truly great guitar.
Quote by V.U.K
@RockPig: What's wrong with putting in the Invaders/Edge in the bridge? I'd imagine it'd work fine, though I've never done any pickup swaps myself, and have been using the 650T + 750R copys in my Special II for the last 2 and a half years.

Nothing. Just, the TS didn't really specify much metal and as far as versatility goes, high output pickups aren't fantastic. More adviseable would be a medium output model like a DiMarzio PAF Pro.
P.S. The Invader's too muddy sounding without ridiculous 1000K pots
P.P.S. What the hell is an Edge pickup? You mean an Evolution?
Schecter C-1 plus along with that peavey amp.
Fender 72 Tele Thinline (my baby)
Gibson SG Special Faded
ESP LTD M-1000
Peavy Vk 112
Boss GT-10
michael kelly patriot ltd
ಠ_ಠ ಥ_ಥ ಠ_ಠ

Michael Kelly Patriot Ltd.

Spector N20004

Michael Kelly V65 Acoustic

Vintage 1965 Fender Bassman Stack

Crate GFX1200H On a Behringer Bass Cab

Orange Fund: $48
I was you about 10 years ago, playing on purely accoustic instruments for a decade before deciding to try plugging in.

I'm going to quote from my post here: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1026186

My advice is that when buying anything is to always get the best quality you can afford.
<snip>

1) With a better guitar, you're going to find a bit more motivation to practice. Whether its because it will seem like more fun to play or because of some subconscious drive to justify the $$$ you dropped on it doesn't matter.

2) A better guitar will sound better through a bad amp than a so-so guitar through a so-so amp. And when you finally get a better amp, you're going to be pleasantly surprised.

The first time I discovered this principle was with stereo speakers. I had some so-so speakers when I first got into CDs after years of having albums and cassette tapes. The difference was incredible.

Then I played the same CDs through some Bose 901s...OMG, what a difference.

3) A better guitar will stand up to more punishment- accidental or on purpose- than a so-so one. Its also going to bring more to the table- better electronics, better tone...and you know you're going to fall in love with it over and over again each time you look at it.

Now, the guy I was responding to had a working but sub-par amp- you don't have one at all, apparently.

Which brings me to this quote here: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1031478

Perhaps you should do what I did when I got my first electric: get a little modeling gizmo to hook on your belt and listen to with headphones for when you travel. I have a couple of Korg Px4s, but the current standard is the Line 6 POD, as I recall. They're like a carnival for guitarists!

Line 6 Pod 2.0
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/...ssor?sku=150448

Korg Px4
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/...ssor?sku=152176

Buy one of those (and batteries), find or buy some over ear headphones, and if you don't want to lug your LP77 around, find an inexpensive (@$300) guitar and you'll have a way to practice anywhere in any style.

(That guy had less of a budget than you do- $500 max as opposed to your $600-800.)

That combination of a nice guitar, some good headphones and a belt-mounted modeler kept me happy for several years, and allowed me to discover what I liked about playing electrics. I bought my first 2 electrics (for the record, they were a Dean EVO Special Select and a Dean 25 Anniversary Time Capsule Cadillac) many years ago, and I'm just now getting my first amp in 2009.

The thing is, with your budget, spending $150-200 on a Korg Px4 or Line 6 POD2 leaves you with more money- a nice chunk of change, really- to invest in a quality instrument, while giving you a taste of what you could do when you finally have the money and inclination to go shopping for a serious amp.

Your milage, of course, may vary.
Quote by Tempoe
I think the most versitile guitars will usually have a humbucker in the bridge and a single coil in the neck and maybe a middle position also. My guitar is so sweet with cleans and so dirty with gain...does it all, I use the neck single for blues and clean tele/strat sounds and the bridge for hi-gain leads.

+1 (or 2 humbuckers and one single, but they're less common).

something like a yamaha pacifica 112v plus a roland cube 30x/vox valvetronix ad15vt/peavey vypyr (i haven't tried the vypyr though) would be a really good, versatile starter rig. that'd only bring you up to around $400, though.

If you're willing to spend more, maybe look into some godins? they have a bunch of HSS and HSS-loaded guitars for around the $400-$500 mark which'd be worth considering. generally i say you should spend more on the guitar than amp, but considering he plays a wide range of stuff, a tube amp which does all that is going to get expensive very quickly, a modeller is probably a better idea in this instance, and just spend the rest on a nice guitar which won't need to be upgraded so quickly and which will last longer.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks for the input.

I got a microcube amp for christmas, and I have about $650 to spend on a guitar. I went to guitar center and tried a few out. My favorites were the ephiphone les pauls and prs singlecut.

I'll probably go back in a few days maybe buy one. any last minute advice is welcome.

Is the PRS (singlecut) good quality?
Look at used Epiphone Elitist les pauls and used Gibson les paul studios. You might possibly be able to find one in your range. Look to make private purchases, not through used music stores.
oh ok, if you've already got a microcube, you're set.

i assume you're talking about the PRS SE singlecut? if so, they're kind of variable.

i'd agree with al^ , assuming you can do without the single coil tones, and you have a guitar playing friend who can come with you to make sure you don't get a lemon and who can help you with setups. if not, it might be more sensible to buy new, as at least that way you have a warranty if anything goes wrong, and you can go crying back to the music shop for help with setups etc. and they should treat you at least half-decently as you're a customer...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Do you know any players (that you respect) in your area? If so, ask them- they might know of- or even offer you- a good deal on a used guitar.

Hmmm- I'm surprised nobody has suggested an Ibanez Artcore.
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Dec 27, 2008,