i've got a peavey valveking, and after the jump from my spider the extra noise is pretty ridiculous. I bought my amp used, and was wondering if this sort of noise is standard. I never noticed in guitar center, but maybe that's because its always noisy in gc anyway. Its very slight on the clean channel, but really gets in they way on the lead channel, especially when i use gain boost. Would getting a good noisegate, say an isp decimator, help considerably? i'm also going to get a bad monkey OD pedal... If i used this instead of gain boost, could i still get into shred/metal territory with the BM as a boost?...

thanks in advance
My gear:
PRS SE custom
~!~--Peavey XXX super 40 EFX --~!~
Peavey VK 112

===WGS Vet30
===JJ power tubes

---Pedals:
-ISP Decimator
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Crybaby wah
-Korg Pitchblack
-Danelectro FnC EQ
hmmm i have the same amp.....while there is some noise with the gain its no where near the amount youre describing....is it an annoying hum or is it a distorted muddy-up-your-sound-notes-dont-have-definition (LOL)?

if its the muddy one, it sounds like you need to replace the tubes.
if its a constant hum, then its prob 60 cycle.... to suppress that keep it away from flourescent lights, plug it into a well grounded outlet and not a cheap extension cord, and if you have to, get a noise suppressor (the isp decimator is expensive but THE BEST)- even tho i dont own or need one.
oh and with the bad monkey.....i wouldnt bother, unless u use it for a different sound while on clean. using it on top of the distortion without boost will kinda overdo it...that is, ull hear more fizzle than anything and def not good for palm-muting.
Quote by RGshred88
hmmm i have the same amp.....while there is some noise with the gain its no where near the amount youre describing....is it an annoying hum or is it a distorted muddy-up-your-sound-notes-dont-have-definition (LOL)?

if its the muddy one, it sounds like you need to replace the tubes.
if its a constant hum, then its prob 60 cycle.... to suppress that keep it away from flourescent lights, plug it into a well grounded outlet and not a cheap extension cord, and if you have to, get a noise suppressor (the isp decimator is expensive but THE BEST)- even tho i dont own or need one.

Its an annoying, constant hum... goes away when standby is off and when i turn off my volume.. not really feedback... i stand far away enough... cheap extension cord? you mean the one that you plug from the amp into the outlet?... and what do flourescent lights do? and whats 60 cycle?
My gear:
PRS SE custom
Peavey VK 112

===WGS Vet30
===JJ power tubes

---Pedals:
-ISP Decimator
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Crybaby wah
-Korg Pitchblack
-Danelectro FnC EQ
yeah thats 60 cycle hum..... 60 cycle or mains hum is the frequency of alternating current in the electrical wiring. so if you have a cheap extension cord (not the one supplied with the amp) that you buy from like a CVS or 7-11 its not shielded or grounded so that frequency will start oscillating the speaker.....at 60 cycles per second, after all a speaker is an electromagnet itself. Flourescent lights do the same thing, but to be honest thats more of something ive heard rather than experiencing that. You should plug the amp straight into the wall away from lights if you can.

by the way...be sure to turn the power on, wait 30 seconds, then switch on standby...this protects the tubes (idk why really but i know its very important with all tube amps...thats why theres the standby switch)
with tube amps, standby is important because if the power tubes are driven before they've warmed up, then they have to work a lot harder to output signal. usually this just means you'll wear them down faster, but sometimes it does result in blown tubes.
yeah i know that but i'm not sure if my amps previous owner did...

i'm not sure where the power cord came from but where can i get one that would possibly fix my amp?...

i want to try all possibilities before i pay $100 for a pedal...
My gear:
PRS SE custom
Peavey VK 112

===WGS Vet30
===JJ power tubes

---Pedals:
-ISP Decimator
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Crybaby wah
-Korg Pitchblack
-Danelectro FnC EQ
i really hate to double post but ****... my mom is yelling at me to tell her what i want for my bday and i don't know if i should get a isp decimator or what...
My gear:
PRS SE custom
Peavey VK 112

===WGS Vet30
===JJ power tubes

---Pedals:
-ISP Decimator
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Crybaby wah
-Korg Pitchblack
-Danelectro FnC EQ
haha you know just go for the isp anyway it can only help you seriously......lucky man