Hey, looking to buy my first guitar and was wondering if you know anything about the Fender Stop Dreaming Start Playing SE Special Strat Pack With Squier SP-10 Amp as seen here: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-Stop-Dreaming-Start-Playing-SE-Special-Strat-Pack-With-Squier-SP-10-Amp-104486238-i1177837.gc

Is it cheap sounding and crappy? Perfect for a beginner? I do want something with really good quality (under like $400, you know?)

Thanks everyone.
Yes, Squier Stratacasters are great starter guitars.
Quote by J.Bass.M

I don't care about the f***ing radius of the f***ing inlay.
i wouldnt get the pack
squiers are great starters but the amp in the pack sucks
fight the power... with peace

Originally Posted by Cockpuncher 2.0
Fail town, population you

When God said "Let there be light", Joey Jordison said "Say please".

Man is a universe within himself
Bob Marley
Pox!
Dude i have one and they are pretty good. I got it when i was beginning and it was good for a really good price. its a good idea to get this than some other slightly more expensive guitars that suck.
Quote by TheMeltdown
Yes, Squier Stratacasters are great starter guitars.

i think they could be the worst guitar ever made, i have one its horrible, dont waste your money, save up and get an epi les paul
What doesn't kill us, only makes us stronger

Bass: Ibanez Gsr200
Bass amp: Ibanez sw100 stack

Guitar: squier starter pack

never buy a squier!
Quote by stratsrule1990
i wouldnt get the pack
squiers are great starters but the amp in the pack sucks

+1
EDIT: with 400 bucks you should get a peavey vypyr 30 watt or 30 watt cube and an agile al-2000
thats imo the best starter pack ever
Squirrels>all other animals group

Quote by Prophet of Page
I don't recommend passive pickups for any kind of blues tone. Ideally, you'd want a passive pickup with a reasonably low level of output.
if your looking for a guitar at that price you might look at something else. you probably dont want to look at a pack as the amps are usually not worth it. you might be better off buying a squier strat separate for $200 then spending the rest on a better amp. the guitar will probably be about the same(maybe a bit better) but the amp will be much better
not going to be the best amp but for between 150 and 200 it will be way better that what you get in a/that package. a lot o people are going to say a bunch of crap against the SS amps for that price but for a beginner it will be fine to start off with and will be a fine practice amp in the future. i have a crate RFX series that i like a lot but there is many other choices.

hopefully helpfull
Gian
Strats are good, but don't get the pack, the cables probably suck and the amp sucks. Get everything seperate.

If you can afford um get these cables Monster Cables
it has a lifetime warranty, so if it breaks, the store will just give ya a new cable.

I'm not going to recommend an amp, cuz I'm not too smart amp-wise, but I know those cables are great.
theguitarsar ok for beginners but the amp is terrible. you can get abetter guitar and amp for 400$. i would recomend the laguna and line 6 spider three combo for a starter

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Laguna-Ultimate-Rock-Electric-Guitar-Pack-with-Line-6-Spider-III-15W-Amp-515247-i1375180.gc

and check out the roland cube amps

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Roland,Combo-Amps-Guitar-Amplifiers1.gc

and check out these guitars

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Solid-Body-Electric-Electric-Guitar,100-200.gc

i wouldrecomendanepiphone
Last edited by sbinlb at Dec 9, 2008,
if you are seriously getting into guitar i recommend an epiphone les paul. It will last you much longer than a squire. As far as amps, dont buy anything under 200. I regretted it and you might too
at first you'll like it alot but then after you get better you'll hate it and that amp sucks id get a roland cube
Quote by Sonicxlover
I once told a Metallica fan I liked Megadeth, and he stabbed me 42 times.

harryberg1's phone number :401-787-3317
thats the pack that everyone pretty much starts with haha
yeah get it
that was my first guitar, great one for beginners especially since u get the whole pack
I have a really small amp like that w/ 3 nobs, I just got a distortion pedal with it. It sounds fine trust me. Why would you spend extra money on a better amp as a beginner?? i'm a beginner and its a good amp to practice away with.
I got a secondhand Ibanez from a pawn shop as my first :P. Don't be scared of shopping around, trying guitars out in stores etc before you rush to buy one online. If you have any friends that play (well) take them with you. It's easier to choose a nice amp if you try it out yourself.

I know it's embarrassing when you don't have anything to play which is why I recommend the experienced friend.
Prob best to either stick with the pack or get a that squire tele(I only say the tele cause Ive played a few of those butterscotch ones and they arent bad for less than 2 bills) that was suggested with whatever amp you like( I would go with a vox vt 15). Or comb the hell outta craigs list. I bought a really nice midnight wine fender(not squire) Tele for 150 bux a few months ago. Mexican of course but still. Look around for deals. They are out there.
good luck
i have a squier strat and its great, the amp is good for playing in a room. My guitar teacher has and uses the same model, its so old, the color is fading. I find it very good as a starter
People are suggesting epi les pauls. In that price range the Epi specials are far less quality guitars then the alder bodied squiers. IMO the squier is a great suggestion
Quote by d_byrne23
People are suggesting epi les pauls. In that price range the Epi specials are far less quality guitars then the alder bodied squiers. IMO the squier is a great suggestion

but squiers, where i come from, are decidedly cheaper than epi les pauls, and i thought this to be the case everywhere
If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all
Hmmm...so I don't think I will get the pack but now I am really confused on what I should get. You are all helpful but I am mad confused now. Will look at everyone's suggestion though. Keep 'em coming.
No man, I got the same a few months ago. Good for about a month, Then it starts to fall apart. I think Epi makes an LP100 Guitar/Amp Pack, get that or something similar. If you really want a Strat shape, Ibanez is always good
Please excuse my godawful username. I was thirteen.
3 months into playing i regretted buying that pack. the guitar hardly stays in tune and the amp is ****, no other way to describe it.

Now i upgraded to an epiphone les paul ultra (although the standard is just fine and practically the same thing for a little cheaper)

im still using the amp that came with that squier pack, and while the epiphone at least sounds better than the stratocaster on it, its severely holding back the true sound i can get from my LP.
Quote by El3ment380
I have a really small amp like that w/ 3 nobs, I just got a distortion pedal with it. It sounds fine trust me. Why would you spend extra money on a better amp as a beginner?? i'm a beginner and its a good amp to practice away with.

The amp is 80% of your sound, buying a really good amp early on can last for years, usually beginners would buy a new guitar after 1 year.
I see you're not using the UG black theme

Originally posted by GOD
akm_202, i now announce you, king of awesome. You may bow down to me.
Quote by Vixus
Instead of hanging around here get out of the house and start looking at guitars. :/

I can look at guitars all day, doesn't mean I know a damn thing about them, thought I would get some opinions here first.
And I think I am going with the Laguna Ultimate Rock Electric Guitar Pack with Line 6 Spider III 15W Amp. Thanks everyone.
Well I'm not too sure you'll be very happy with the Spider. Sure, the idea of high gain sounds great, but honestly, spiders are pretty subpar (and most of the veteran forum members will agree). A microcube wouldn't be a bad idea, and even some of the Vox valvetronix (XL i think) seem to pull off distorted tone better.
My Squier Strat sounds Great. I haven't had any probs at all. I play Hendrix and beat
the crap out of the whammy and it stays in tune. If you get a good pedal they are not
bad at all.

Don't go with a Spider. I don't want to sound like i'm on the bandwagon but when your
ear develops you will outgrow it. Your techniques will end up being hurt by the limitations of the amp. When u get better you will want to play notes that this amp struggles to produce. We call it Clipping.

I see guitarists in train stations all the time playing on Micro cubes.
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett