I own an Epi Les Paul Ultra and a cheap Marshall 30 watt amp, and I'm looking to get some new pickups for Christmas. I'm trying to find two pickups that i can mix together so that in one position I can get a nice metal tone, and in the other I can get a good clean acoustic tone that would sound good for strumming.

I play pretty much every genre from Blues through Acoustic Rock and into Metal.

I was thinking of getting an EMG 81 for the bridge (or perhaps a Seymour Duncan Blackout) after hearing my friends Jackson, but I need to be able to switch it to a nice crisp acoustic style sound for when I play certain songs at my church.

Any help or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
since you say you have a cheap Marshall 30 watt amp maybe you should think bout getting a better amp instead then?
There's no point fearing death, as it is inevitably going to happen

ESP Ltd H-302
Jackson KE3 (for sale)
Schecter Blackhawk
Roland Cube 60
Upgrading goes like this.

Guitar -> Amp -> Pickups -> Hardware
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.
No, you wont notice a large enough difference in a pickup change playing through that amp.

You might as well have a ferrari and be restricted to a 25mph zone.

Buy a nicer amplifier. Sounds like you've got alot of research to do. In terms of verastility I hear good things about Bugera.
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
If you go EMG, the other pickup will have to be active too
I recommend a Seymour Duncan Jeff Beck in the bridge and a Jazz/59 in the neck
Ideally, a new amp would be far better, it will have a noticeable impact on your tone
ohai little sig.
a new amp might be better than new pups.
ESP Vintage 4
Fender American Special Jazz
Fender American Deluxe Precision
Ibanez SR700
Jackson DXMG
Fender American Standard Telecaster
SWR Black Beauty
Orange Thunderverb 50

Modulus Quantum 5 fund-$2150/$3369
Quote by SlinkyBlue

You might as well have a ferrari and be restricted to a 25mph zone.

What kind of jerk with a ferrari would do that? <Sarcasm> Ferrari is Italian for over 80mph <Sarcasm>
Keeping it real since '92
Based on all of your suggestions, I think I'll refrain from buying new pickups for now, and save up for a new amp.

Last weekend I played on a Hughes & Kettner Statesman tube amp, and it sounded great. I'll have some saving up to do if I decide to go for it. Does anyone have this amp, or have an opinion on it?

I have a link to it here if you are interested in looking it up.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Hughes-Kettner-Statesman-Series-STM-Dual-EL84-20W-1x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=482099
Quote by Sir Ducksalot
I own an Epi Les Paul Ultra and a cheap Marshall 30 watt amp, and I'm looking to get some new pickups for Christmas. I'm trying to find two pickups that i can mix together so that in one position I can get a nice metal tone, and in the other I can get a good clean acoustic tone that would sound good for strumming.

I play pretty much every genre from Blues through Acoustic Rock and into Metal.

I was thinking of getting an EMG 81 for the bridge (or perhaps a Seymour Duncan Blackout) after hearing my friends Jackson, but I need to be able to switch it to a nice crisp acoustic style sound for when I play certain songs at my church.

Any help or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

It's not really worth upgrading pickups with a Marshall MG, and also you won't get pickups that do what you're asking - they don't make that kind of difference no matter what amp you have.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Sir Ducksalot
Based on all of your suggestions, I think I'll refrain from buying new pickups for now, and save up for a new amp.

Last weekend I played on a Hughes & Kettner Statesman tube amp, and it sounded great. I'll have some saving up to do if I decide to go for it. Does anyone have this amp, or have an opinion on it?

I have a link to it here if you are interested in looking it up.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Hughes-Kettner-Statesman-Series-STM-Dual-EL84-20W-1x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=482099

Heck YES!

H&K makes great stuff.