Alright, I am planning to get a Vypyr 30w, but after looking at the Peavey forums, I am having second thoughts...

Are there really all these buzz and boot-up problems I am reading about there? Apparently they are caused by low temps. but still, it has me worried.

Should I just wait it out a bit longer to see if they make some new firmware to fix this? Or just get it now and take the risk? I guess I always could take it back if it is no good, but still I am worried...

What do you guys think?
I've got a Vypyr 30 and I haven't had any problems with mine. If they have problems they usually happen soon so it shouldn't be much of a problem to return it since it's under warranty. Considering how many they have sold vs. the number of bad ones it's not as bad as it sounds. Some people that have had problems have posted on multiple forums making it sound like more have been defective.
Hmm... alright. You do seem to be the master of everything Vypyr. So I'll trust you.

I would still like other opinions though.

Thanks.
Quote by GymboJones
Alright, I am planning to get a Vypyr 30w, but after looking at the Peavey forums, I am having second thoughts...

Are there really all these buzz and boot-up problems I am reading about there? Apparently they are caused by low temps. but still, it has me worried.

Should I just wait it out a bit longer to see if they make some new firmware to fix this? Or just get it now and take the risk? I guess I always could take it back if it is no good, but still I am worried...

What do you guys think?

Wow really? I was just about to make a thread about this but you beat me to it, so yeah I got my vypyr 15w two days ago and my amp is having trouble booting up, like it will go on for 2 seconds but then it will cut out, only one or two lights will be on and it won't make noise from my guitar, and you also said its from "low temps" which made me realize it probably is because my room is in the basement and it is really cold down here, so thank you for my answer, and so I guess if you have normal temps around the amp you should be fine, by the way my 15w is really nice sounding even though it takes 5 times to finally get going but the 30w should be really good in ideal temp.

EDIT: OKAY, so I just got my vypyr going for good, but it took 6 tries, so I really do think it is from the cold because the plug part is all metal and its probably the cold effecting what's inside the metal part where the wiring is, so if you don't have cold conditions in the house it should be fine, but I'm not sure, and by the way, I think it is worth it because I love the chorus effect for both riffs and solos, really cool sounding.
Last edited by Who Sh0t Ya HxO at Dec 9, 2008,
Quote by GymboJones
Hmm... alright. You do seem to be the master of everything Vypyr. So I'll trust you.

I don't know about that. I have seen some people that post here on other forums (using the same screen name) posting about Vypyr issues. That makes it seem like 2 (or more depending on how many forums they post on) amps have had problems when it was really only one. My local shop sold all the Vypyrs they got in and only 2 had problems. One was a 15 the other was a 75.
they havnt fixed all the bugs, but there still a bit more reliable than tube amps imo. its hit & miss, and if it doesnt work its not like you cant get your money back, so i say go for it
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
It has to be the temp. because once I got mine started in this cold basement, I started to play from my last post until now, and so I turned it off and then I turned it on like1 minute later and it worked when I turned it on, and I also felt the metal part in the back as well, and it wasn't cold anymore, it was warmer, like normal warmer and so it has to be heating up in there while I'm playing, so probably, cold is what makes it not work but still even in the cold it will still come on, but it will just take a few tries first.
Quote by Who Sh0t Ya HxO
It has to be the temp. because once I got mine started in this cold basement, I started to play from my last post until now, and so I turned it off and then I turned it on like1 minute later and it worked when I turned it on, and I also felt the metal part in the back as well, and it wasn't cold anymore, it was warmer, like normal warmer and so it has to be heating up in there while I'm playing, so probably, cold is what makes it not work but still even in the cold it will still come on, but it will just take a few tries first.

how cold would you say your basement is about? because I've also been having the startup problems for awhile and my houses current temp is about 68 in the winter
(the amp does start eventually it just usually takes one or 2 tries so knowing the cold is the problem would make me feel a little more reassured)

also can anyone else with a vypyr 75 tell me if they have any problems with the USB interface?
Quote by altoidwithmelon
You dont lose your virginity, you voluntarily misplace it.

Quote by Ur all $h1t
You should bottle up all of your emotions till they become a problem that requires professional help.
It's good for the economy.

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/rabidpitweasels/
well in my basement it feels like 40 something, and it takes about 5-6 tries now. so i would be happy with 2 tries instead.
thanks man i just dont know like it still sounds fine and everything but it didnt used to have the startup problem it just randomly started one day idk probably around mid-late September (i got it late august)

also the interface creates a weird intermittent buzzing noise when i record sometimes, its not the cable ive already checked and the interface feels kind of loose does any one else have this problem?
Quote by altoidwithmelon

Quote by Ur all $h1t
You should bottle up all of your emotions till they become a problem that requires professional help.

hmmm I have the buzzing a lot anyways because I only have single-coils but they're not loud, so thats basically a givin for me, can't do nothing about it unless I get a humbucker guitar and I got my amp last sunday and this startup problem started yesterday, lol not sunday probably because it had temp. from guitar center still with it but then i guess over night my basement eventually gave it cold temp. By the way, I do not know how to record, but you could real quick tell me what happens when you do? like does it save it and then you can play it back anytime you want, like say if you wanted to do a rythem riff while a lead solo is going on at the same time?
I think that when you get the software updates (via your PC-you'll need a USB to MIDI cable for this), the problems are minimized.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Dec 9, 2008,
I have the Vypyr 15 and it fails to come up (with a nasty squeal) sometimes with the guitar cord plugged in. I take the plug out before I turn it on and then plug it in after the light show starts.
Quote by oneblackened
I think that when you get the software updates (via your PC-you'll need a USB to MIDI cable for this), the problems are minimized.
So what is the going price for one of these cables? About $40 I am guessing?

Anyways, Peavey has said that the operating temp. for these amps is 65F. Makes sense since its is in a way, a computer.
the recording issue is that theres a buzzing on the tracks i try to record. Its not a constant buzzing more of like blips of annoying static over what i play...so since operating temps are 65F and my house is 68F im also wondering if i should get the amp looked at eventually too for the startup problem?
any thoughts or advice appreciated
Quote by altoidwithmelon

Quote by Ur all $h1t

Quote by GymboJones
So what is the going price for one of these cables? About $40 I am guessing?

Anyways, Peavey has said that the operating temp. for these amps is 65F. Makes sense since its is in a way, a computer.

actually, yeah. about $40.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.