Windows Vista is GAY!! (edit: not intended as a homophobic comment)

So yea, in XP you were able to hear the microphone input without recording it. In Vista, all I can figure out how to do is record and then playback what was recorded.

So does anyone know how to hear the microphone input in real time rather than record it? (I plugged in a guitar to the microphone jack if anyone's wondering)
Quote by Trowzaa
I immediately clenched my butthole after reading that...
hmmm... whenever i strum it works and i can hear it. Have you tried the line-in port by an chance? is it just gutiar to comp or guitar amp comp?
"You know it's funny when it rains it pours
...They got money for wars, but can't feed the poor"

Techno artist and rap producer in training

Don't blame Vista for your stupidity.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by BelowZero
hmmm... whenever i strum it works and i can hear it. Have you tried the line-in port by an chance? is it just gutiar to comp or guitar amp comp?

It's guitar->comp but I tried it on xp and it works fine. It's just in vista the microphone doesn't even show up in the mixer.
Quote by Trowzaa
wouldnt that just make an annoying echo? why would you want to hear something at the same time you are recording it?
I have no opinion on this matter.
Quote by Zugunruhe
wouldnt that just make an annoying echo? why would you want to hear something at the same time you are recording it?

Monitoring.

It doesn't create an echo when you have proper monitor routing.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Zugunruhe

I don't want to record it. I just want to hear it. (basically use the computer as an amp) This works fine in XP but in Vista it doesn't seem to have this option.
Quote by Trowzaa
Quote by RPGoof
Some recording programs (ie. Audacity) have this option.
It's not Vista's fault.

It's definitely Vista's fault. XP had this feature built in to the OS without the need for any program. They seem to have just gotten rid of it in Vista.
Quote by Trowzaa
Quote by vartanspartan
Windows Vista is GAY!! (edit: not intended as a homophobic comment)

So yea, in XP you were able to hear the microphone input without recording it. In Vista, all I can figure out how to do is record and then playback what was recorded.

So does anyone know how to hear the microphone input in real time rather than record it? (I plugged in a guitar to the microphone jack if anyone's wondering)

...The problem isnt Vista.........

Go into the control panel and make sure everything is also set correctly at the bar by the clock.

Also if you are looking to software like Audacity and an audio interface would be best if you truly want good sound.

I can set my stock card up right now and have it play back any audio in real time right now...vista does it just fine.
Last edited by moody07747 at Dec 9, 2008,
Ok maybe it's not Vista but it seemed to be much easier in XP. Don't get me wrong, I know what I'm doing and I'm usually really good at figuring out settings and stuff but this isn't working out for me. Could someone tell me exactly what settings I'm supposed to change?
Quote by Trowzaa
I don't know what the problem is. Just go to the control panel and do the same as you do on XP.
There is poetry in despair.
Ok, found it. In XP it's just a matter of unmuting a mixer channel but in Vista there's a registry entry that needs to be changed before an option becomes available in the speaker settings to unmute the mic monitor.
Quote by Trowzaa
just cause its differnt doesnt mean its gay, it means your unfamilar with it. there should be a mixer if you double click the speaker icon, that or go into properties of your soundcard and see if you can select some stuff.