Would they be easier since you need a lighter touch on scalloped frets, or would it be harder b/c you might over-hit the note and make it sharp?
My Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Standard | Gibson SG | Casio PG 380 | Dave Mustaine VMNT | Digitech Whammy | Carvin Legacy head |
Carvin V3 combo | MXR Custom Badass Overdrive | Dunlop Jerry Cantrell Wah | Rocktron Banshee | Ibanez PG Flanger
Scalloped necks are just harder to play. Well... not necessarily harder, but different. It would be in the eye (or fingers) of the beholder.
I doubt you've ever played a scalloped neck. It's not what you would think, you don't necessarily need a lighter touch. The first time I played one it really took me by surprise. I would play one first and make the judgement yourself, everybody on UG has a different playing style.
If you laugh at this I get to have sex with you.
Click here to see the most beautiful guitar imaginable.
Quote by Jeltz
Sukman_Jr: Going on a trip to Finmark in Norway is a bad idea aswell! Beware of Nazi-zombies!
Its harder in the sense that you have to adjust to the different style, but in the long run its easier because it decreases the amount of effort necessary, there by decreasing efficiency.
I'm thinking about scalloping my strat soon, either that or removing the fret wire from 15 to 21 for experimental purposes.
Quote by ravioli123
James, a type of sandwich:

A sandwich that consists of ham, turkey, roast beef, shredded cheese, nacho cheese doritos, and ranch on a toasted bun.
"Hey man lets go get a couple James's for lunch"
what do you think removing the fret wire will do?
If you laugh at this I get to have sex with you.
Click here to see the most beautiful guitar imaginable.
Quote by Jeltz
Sukman_Jr: Going on a trip to Finmark in Norway is a bad idea aswell! Beware of Nazi-zombies!
All a scalloped neck does is make a guitar with small/medium frets feel like XJumbo. It changes the feel. It doesn't make it any more difficult to play, nor does it make you play better. If you like the feel of it more then it could indirectly make you play better. Chances are you never touch the fretboard while playing as it is, so a scalloped neck shoudln't have any effect on your abilities.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by Shukman_Jr
what do you think removing the fret wire will do?

It was just a thought, but I might remove the fret wire and fill the groove so I could get a bit of a fretless sound to it. The frets I'm removing are badly worn anyway, rather than repairing them which is alot more work. Its an old guitar, and I barely play it ever since I got my Ibanez, so I may as well try it
Quote by ravioli123

A sandwich that consists of ham, turkey, roast beef, shredded cheese, nacho cheese doritos, and ranch on a toasted bun.
fretless guitars don't sound all that great, particularly around the higher frets - you'd just get a dull "plink" sound.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
fretless guitars don't sound all that great, particularly around the higher frets - you'd just get a dull "plink" sound.

I heard Steve Vai on the G3 live in Denver DVD, one of the necks on the 3-neck guitar was fretless and it sounded great.
As it is now, the frets sound dull and there is horrible buzz around that end of the neck. To get a good sound out of the guitar I need to put on a load of effects but it has a great grungy sound to it. I doubt that making the last few frets fretless will make it sound worse lol
I just thought I'd experiment with it and hopefully get a nice glissando sound and some out of tune effects lol
Quote by ravioli123

Quote by SGmaniac1021
Would they be easier since you need a lighter touch on scalloped frets, or would it be harder b/c you might over-hit the note and make it sharp?

You'd only have to worry about that if you had all the frets scalloped. Personally, if I were to get my guitar scalloped, I'd only have it done to the last 4 frets. Anyway, you need a light touch to play good without scallops anyway, scallops simply force you to play properly. The only thing that they really make easier (in my opinion) is bends/vibrato.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
scallop past the 15th or even the 12th fret is common.

light touch neccasary make the average faster playing on the frets a little easier for those that know the feel for the scalloped frets.
Guitars-LEFTY
Bernie Rico Jr. Custom Jekyll
Schecter ATX
Schecter Tempest Cust.
Ibanez GIO
Amps
Laney VH100R-Sell/Trade?? pm me
Cube 15
Misc.
THD HOT plate Attentuator and other stuff
a scalloped neck is mainly good for controlling VIBRATO and bending. U can get a little better grip on the string itself. It has a way different feel than a regular neck.
U should definitely try one out before you buy or scallop your own neck.
I don't care for a scalloped neck guitar I have tried some in the past and I just don't like the feel at all. It's probably because I have been playing on regular necks for around 38 years now. I think fretless guitars are a waste I just don't like the sound that comes out of them or the feel but I have the opposite opinion for a fretless bass guitar I think the are the way to go.

John
Quote by johnro6659
I don't care for a scalloped neck guitar I have tried some in the past and I just don't like the feel at all. It's probably because I have been playing on regular necks for around 38 years now. I think fretless guitars are a waste I just don't like the sound that comes out of them or the feel but I have the opposite opinion for a fretless bass guitar I think the are the way to go.

John

The entire guitar wouldn't be fretless, just past the 15th fret. I love the feel of fretless basses and violins, so I thought it would be nice to get that feel for a guitar solo. I just brought up the point because it was a recent thought, I wanted to scallop my Strat, but with the worn higher frets on it, it seems like a better idea to just have a bare fretboard to experiment with. The guitar is a train wreck anyway, so it wouldn't be any harm to destroy it a bit more lol I might post some recordings at a later date just to show how awful the guitar sounds as it is.
Quote by ravioli123