I am going to be building my own guitar in a matter of days, and I am wondering if quilted maple is a good wood to build it out of. If possible give me some pros-cons, and other suggestions for the wood? I play Prog, Rock, Metal, and a little bit of blues. Also, what p-ups would you recommend?
Shawn George Noel
You never seen a PRS or any of the other million companies that use it?

Quilted maple is a perfectly good wood, more just for tops though, if you built an entire body out of it, it might be kinda bright.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
I've never heard of a pure quilted maple guitar before, but I've seen thousands of QM tops.
Seymour Duncans for the pickups. Quilted maple is gorgeous for a top, but pretty expensive. He's right, it'd definitely sound too bright if you made the whole thing out of it. Good luck.
Thanks guys, would you recommend any other wood for the build?
I would like the top to be Quilted Maple, but if there is another wood that would be good, please share your opinions.
Shawn George Noel
Mahogany body, mahogany neck, quilted mape top and ebony fretboard... should be good enough.

Edit:

that guy means use the searchbar at the top, there are lots of threads about this already, but i dont mind posting the above to help you out
Black Knight CF-60F Semi-Acoustic.

Black Knight CP200 (Red flamed maple).

Neck-thru 4 string bass.

Acoustic 6 string.
Quote by Absent Mind

Quilted maple is a perfectly good wood, more just for tops though, if you built an entire body out of it, it might be kinda bright[/b.

....and your wallet kinda light...

BOOM BOOM!!

(BOOM BOOM! Is a reference to "Basil Brush", a Fox puppet from the UK, 25 years or more ago. He said it, after making a joke.)