Hey I've been playing guitar for about 2 years for 2 years with a low end strat clone and I feel that is about time to get a 2nd guitar, my price range is in the 300-500 range and I'm accustomed to rock/metal/blues style of playing. I've been considering going the ibanez route, but I wouldn't know what guitar to get that is good for my price range.

Please help me out here
Last edited by Narn01 at Dec 9, 2008,
try an epiphone sg 400
Gear:

Jackson Mark Morton Dominion
Mesa Dual Rect 2 Channel
Marshall JCM900 1960 cab
http://www.rondomusic.com/product849.html

Slightly thicker neck than Ibanez (2mm difference, not too noticeable), alder body, and pretty good stock active pickups.

Although it's heavier than an Ibanez, this is probably your best bet within your pricerange.

That, or a modded Ibanez RG350DX.

Best mods:
Replace pots with 500k ones
Take out Edge III Tremolo, sand down the wood some (Enough to fit in an OFR with about 2mm of space on each sider)
Pickup Swap
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.
Quote by BigRob91
try an epiphone sg 400

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-SG-Standard-S.O.R-Electric-Guitar?sku=512455
My friend's getting one of these.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
I'm leaning towards the Epiphone sg 400, i have yet to check out the rg yet.
For what you want to play, i think the sg400 is a wise choice. The rg's are nice, but the sg is a little more versatile.
Go used. Much better guitar to be had in that range used.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Get an RG of some sort pretty versatile guitars
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Quote by the wise wizard
i say standard strat. plays nice, versatile sound, plus you can mod it on down the road

Definitely. Either that, or try out some Ibanez S or RG series
"If I were not a physicist, I would probably be a musician. I often think in music. I live my daydreams in music. I see my life in terms of music."
— Albert Einstein
Quote by noobcola
Definitely. Either that, or try out some Ibanez S or RG series

I agree with the RG my 350DX has been great for me minus some mistakes with the trem that were caused by me not by ibanez. The friend I bought it from played hardcore metal like Arch Enemy, Cannibal Corpse, etc. on it then I had it set up and it does classic rock well too. Im not sure on cleans as I dont use them too often.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
The Ibanez ART models that look like Les Pauls are amazing guitars for the money!!! I have a Gibson Les Paul Standard and I bought the ART400 and it is very similar. Best guitar I have ever played for the money and I have been playing for 10+ years!
joshuaestock.com
Get a low end Jackson Rhoads, or the Epi sg-400 would be nice as well to be honest.
hide your kids, hide your wife.

Quote by angus_young_32
I'd rather kill myself than commit suicide.

UG Hatecrew FTW
Quote by JEST87
The Ibanez ART models that look like Les Pauls are amazing guitars for the money!!! I have a Gibson Les Paul Standard and I bought the ART400 and it is very similar. Best guitar I have ever played for the money and I have been playing for 10+ years!

How thick is the neck on the Ibanez compared to the Les Paul?

I'm looking for a backup guitar for my Les Paul, and the ART400 is a candidate - but I prefer thicker necks.

I have an old RG550, and compared to my Les Paul the neck feels paper thin.
Gear

Gibson '57 Les Paul Reissue
Marshall TSL 601
EHX: Big Muff, Metal Muff, Small Stone, POG, 2880
Ibanez TS808
Voodoo Labs Microvibe
Analogman Chorus
Morley Bad Horsie II
Keeley Compressor (C4)
Nova Delay
MXR 10-band EQ
The necks aren't to thin...not like RG's and S's. I feel they are about the same or slightly thinner than Gibson's 60's neck. I prefer fat necks as well and the ART proved to be very comfortable.
joshuaestock.com
Jackson X series
Gear:

Peavey 5150
Crate 4x12
Jackson King V (for sale!)
Ibanez 7321
Digitech Hothead(for sale!)
Digitech Deathmetal(for sale!)
Quote by JEST87
The necks aren't to thin...not like RG's and S's. I feel they are about the same or slightly thinner than Gibson's 60's neck. I prefer fat necks as well and the ART proved to be very comfortable.

Hmmm. Thanks - guess I'll have to go find one to try out.
Gear

Gibson '57 Les Paul Reissue
Marshall TSL 601
EHX: Big Muff, Metal Muff, Small Stone, POG, 2880
Ibanez TS808
Voodoo Labs Microvibe
Analogman Chorus
Morley Bad Horsie II
Keeley Compressor (C4)
Nova Delay
MXR 10-band EQ
Nam, my advice to you would be to get a guitar that's in the high end of le-end guitars. So instead of getting the cheapest american strat, get a good MIM or a strat imitation and upgrade the pickups. I think metal guitars are really for those who do all-out metal, not because of the sound but because of the looks. Look at what the artists you listen to play, you will always covet their gear so getting something similar will releive the desire for getting a new guitar. The fact you have gone 2 years without an upgrade shows you won't have a problem with sticking with what you have or will get.

For specific guitars, I think the Epiphone SG400 is a brilliant guitar. I played one a while ago and I never realised how good it was till a year after playing the guitar in general.

If you're in america, Agiles are deffinitely worth your while. I'm in the UK so cheap but good quality copies are impossible to find for a price worth getting them at. Edwards are another company which do good copies.

Seeing as you have a cheap strat which has single coils, why not go with humbuckers for the sake of versatility?

Finally, feel free to go under yoru budget if you find something cheaper than 500$ that you like. The rest of the money can go towards an upgrade amp.

flickr you might
Quote by MrCarrot
Oranges are actually a revolution though - they're the next step from Rectos IMO.