Whenever I try to play a chromatic scale or something like it, my pinky uncontrollably shoots away from the neck. When I focus on keeping it still, my other fingers do the same thing. I've been playing for about two years and I haven't noticed it until the past month.

How should I go about fixing it? I think it may be one of the reasons why my playing is as sloppy as it is. It's also keeping me from increasing my speed.

Any Help?
Like almost everything, you need to slow down and focus on the problem. SLOWWW

Unbearably slow.
Quote by dark_echidna
Whenever I try to play a chromatic scale or something like it, my pinky uncontrollably shoots away from the neck. When I focus on keeping it still, my other fingers do the same thing. I've been playing for about two years and I haven't noticed it until the past month.

How should I go about fixing it? I think it may be one of the reasons why my playing is as sloppy as it is. It's also keeping me from increasing my speed.

Any Help?

Yes you can play controlled, at certain speeds. Your problem is trying to play faster than you're able to so like MicahChaney said, slow down and be more patient.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I have thought about this also and thought it might be a problem though through the years I have realised that it really doesn't matter. In fact many great guitarists do this all the time including Hendrix and SRV. When I'm playing and especially while bending with my ring finger, my pinky hides behind the neck (or at least in that direction). When I need my pinky, or I decide that I'm going to hit a note that requires my pinky, I simply lift my pinky up and use it. Although when my pinky isn't in use, it hangs.
^Clapton shifts up and down position to avoid using his pinky. Hes awsome but that doesnt make it good technique.

+1 to slow practice

-1 to using examples of guitar greats to excuse your poor technique