Questions like this have probably been asked a lot, but...

Right now I have an Ibanez RG4ex1 (with a blocked tremolo)
and I usually play Pop-punk, punk, alternative etc. on it, and I was thinking of getting an American HSS Strat and putting a high output humbucker in it (I was thinking the Invader Pickup)

Would that be a good choice? what other benefits would there be? Also, since the RG I have is made of basswood, I dont get the mids I like; so would a HSS Strat help?

Heh, wow I asked a lot of questions... Thanks =)

EDIT:
My current amp is Unfortunatley a Line 6 Spider III 15W, and I'm looking to buy a new amp, so what amps would you suggest I buy?
Last edited by Andyrew004 at Dec 9, 2008,
-waits for the responses of "anything will do for pop punk-
Quote by Echoplex
Mature pit regulars? Are you retarded?

I am a proud Zune 120 owner
look and see what your favorite artists use...

I listen to alot of emo/pop punk/indie and a tele worked out good for me
Beauty Supreme

Yeah you were right about me
fender strat with a duncan jb in the bridge

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Coming soon: Egnater Tweaker

Just keep the strat stock unless you really don't like the tone.

At the risk of sounding trite, what is your amp?

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
You should really wait longer than 3 minutes before bumping your own thread.

But yes, pretty much anything will do because it depends a lot on your amp. The calling card for any kind of punk (original, hardcore, pop, gothic, any of them) is unbridled natural tube overdrive. What guitar and pickup combination will work best depends on what your amp needs to be overdriven like that. If your amp is naturally lower-gain... well, change it. If your amp is naturally mid-gain, you'll need a hotter pickup. IF your amp is naturally high-gain, you don't need such high output from the guitar.

As far as the basswood (RG) vs alder (Strat) thing goes, I doubt you'd see much improvement in the mid range. Alder will have more balanced high-end (which is what basswood misses), but mids and lows will probably remain roughly in the same ballpark. Many types of punk music would actually benefit from the slightly darker tone of the basswood.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Yeah, you're pretty much good with any guitar for Pop Punk.
Quote by rebelmidget
I do believe you just used Blink 182 and hard rock in the same sentence. It would seem you're rather confused.
I have a quote in my signature! And it makes fun of blink-182! I'm cool now!

[Obligatory link to my band's MySpace]
the invader kinda sucks. get a Duncan JB or a Dimarzio PAF pro/tonezone for bridge
also, whats your amp?
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
Thanks everyone =)

Well then I have another question. What amp would work well for this style of music? I'm going to get a new amp around christmas time, (right now I unfortunatley have a Line 6 Spider 3 15W)

So I'm not sure what to get. I was thinking maybe a Marshal, but I don't have a lot of experience with different amps.

If you could reccomend some good amps, and the pros and cons that would be cool =)
get a jb for your ibanez, or maybe get a telecaster (if you're willing to splure a bit).
a blackheart handsome devil and an OD pedal, or a crate V18/32 with an OD.

also, why don't ytou just upgrade the Ibanez. its a very good guitar for any genre
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
I used an American Deluxe HSS for awhile with my pop/punk wizard rock band and worked great live. However for recording, I normally use my PRS or Les Paul. Even though the Strat has a humbucker, it still sounds "strat-ty". I like a hotter humbucker guitar for recording.

I will admit that the American Deluxe HSS is one of the Top 3 guitars I wish I hadn't sold.
1977 Gibson Les Paul Special DC
1992 Gibson Les Paul Studio
2006 PRS CE22
2006 Fender American Telecaster Deluxe
2006 Gibson Songwriter Deluxe Acoustic
Orange Rocker 30 Amplifier
More pedals than I know what to do with...
Would I get a noticable higher sound from the Strat (Alder) over the RG (Basswood)
A Telecaster Deluxe (The one with the two humbuckers and strat headstock) or a Gibson SG will do nicely.
Telecaster is the way to go, IMO. If you're having trouble cutting through the mix then you really can't go wrong with a Tele.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by Andyrew004
Would I get a noticable higher sound from the Strat (Alder) over the RG (Basswood)
It'll be a more balanced and clearer tone. Alder is the most balanced of all the common tonewoods, it gives even response to low, mid and high frequencies.

Basswood gives roughly the same response as alder but it misses some of the higher bands. This can give the effect that it has more bass and mids (especially if you're heavily pumping your amp).

Generally when playing with a heavily overdriven amp or with harsh distortion and using humbucker pickups, you won't notice a huge difference. It's certainly not as big a difference as say, mahogany (darkest sounding) and maple (brightest sounding).

My personal pick would be basswood. It has a well-defined tone that can have a very aggressive 'thunk' if you set your amp up right, which I think is good for more addressive genres. Ultimately though, either is good for this sort of music, and what matters more in the case of punk is your amp.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
dont get a usa strat and butcher it up by chucking an invader in there.

i'd suggest an epi LP...keep it stock and get a better amp with the leftover cash.
yo.

I BELIEVE
whats the amp budget? I'd recommend a Standard Strat (HSS) and maybe a dirty fingers or some other pickup.

But pop punk tone is really just what ever tone you want, sum 41's tone sounded very different that blink's tone.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
I have an Alder American Deluxe Strat (SSS) and a Basswood Ibanez RG (prestige). The strat has a lot more bass and mid response than the RG. The strat is also a lot less trebly. I don't think the RG is suitable for pop-punk. It has a Dragonforce and 80s shred metal sound. Even the SSS strat would b more suitable. The S1 switch gives you some additional sound options. I don't recommend new pickups immediately. They come with good pickups, only change them if you need to. Who are you trying to sound like? Most pop-punk bands don't use super hot humbuckers like invaders. Getting a strat would be a good idea. It's a good guitar that won't be radically different from your Ibanez. Plus, you'll have two great guitars that cover a wide range of tones.
Quote by JELIFISH19
I have an Alder American Deluxe Strat (SSS) and a Basswood Ibanez RG (prestige). The strat has a lot more bass and mid response than the RG. The strat is also a lot less trebly. I don't think the RG is suitable for pop-punk. It has a Dragonforce and 80s shred metal sound. Even the SSS strat would b more suitable. The S1 switch gives you some additional sound options. I don't recommend new pickups immediately. They come with good pickups, only change them if you need to. Who are you trying to sound like? Most pop-punk bands don't use super hot humbuckers like invaders. Getting a strat would be a good idea. It's a good guitar that won't be radically different from your Ibanez. Plus, you'll have two great guitars that cover a wide range of tones.

Thanks. I really liked your answer, and you also didn't just say "zomg any guitar works for pop-punk"

but I am going for more of a blink-182 sound, so that's why I was going for such a hot pickup like the invader.

So thank you, I think around Christmas, I'm going to buy a Standard HSS Strat =)
A Tele or HSS Strat will probably serve you well for Pop punk

EDIT: If you want Blink-182, you want a strat, Tom Delonge used one for most of the B-182 days.
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
Last edited by DeltaFunk at Dec 10, 2008,