I don't build amps kits but I found out about this neat place (Trinity) in Toronto selling 18W kits (and other great kits). Called em up in late July and ordered just a 18W turret board and chassis. Within 3hrs of getting the turret board I had completed it.... Now I was stuck as I had nothing else I could really do besides wire the heaters and a few other little small things.

After three months of the amp sitting looking lonely I gave Stephen (he's Mr. Trinity) a call and ordered the transformers. Once I had the transformers it took me three more days and the amp was done. Called in an order at "thetubestore" and got me some tubes for this amp. Amp worked flawlessly first power up, no issues at all. Even better this amp is as quiet as a mouse.

Sounded great through my Celestion speaker but it really needed a cab and a speaker of its own. Put one finally call into Trinity and got Stephen to make me a cab...What a job he did, looks killer. I went to pick it up at his place and man the guys has a cool shop. So many neat amps he has build and electronics doo dads galore. I spent an hour talking with him while he installed the amp into the cab. Really cool guy and knows his amps/electronics.

While I was there he asked what speaker I am going to throw in the cab....I had to tell em I spent all my money on the cab and building the amp, so I gots no moneyz. So as I am leaving he says "Hey I just got these new Tone Tubby speakers in, check em out and tell me what you think"....Tone Tubbys are these super cool handmade speakers from California made out of hemp (ya hemp)....They sound amazing! I am definitely going to buy this speaker from him.

Some cool things about the amp....carbon comp resistors, really fancy caps SoZo and NOS Mustards, custom made and wound Heyboer transformers (they got paper bobbins and all that mojo jazz), plexi faceplate, Alpha pots, Switchcraft jacks.

Its also got a neat boost switch on the back which biases the first stage a bit differently and adds a bypass cap on the cathode to increase the gain of the stage...The switch adds a ton of gain, grit and volume. It's a neat idea, Ive been using a similar idea in a pre-amp I am working on.

Anyways here it be...

Bought a bunch of tubes to try out...ended up with a Mullard in V1 and V2, a EHX with matched triodes in the PI, two EHX for the power tubes and a EHX for the recto.

Last edited by kurtlives91 at Dec 9, 2008,
For some reason when I took this pic I had not wired up the power supply. Nothing really exciting to see even now that it's done. Transformer, switches, wire.

That's the new San Rafeal Tone Tubby ceramic....Its McSex

The guitar of choice for this amp.

Sound clips near Christmas when I get a new mic....

Really digging this amp....Super tight, round low end. Crisp highs with just enough jangle. Nice cleans but man does it break up nicely.... Been playing it non-stop since I got the cab yesterday.

On the Trinity forums (Google Trinity Amps for their site) you can see the schem and layout for the amp. You gotta be a memeber though....They got a bunch of neat designs, check em out.
Last edited by kurtlives91 at Dec 10, 2008,
Does the transformer have multiple High voltage taps? If so it may be pretty cool to add a switch to change between the voltages. I know a few of the different versions of the 18 watt kits that I have seen have different voltage taps on the transformer and advocate trying it to see how the voltage change effects the amps sound.
Only one tap...

There is some neat stuff you can do with these push-pull cathode biased amps...Reducing the B+ (VVR) and it essentially acts like an attenuator.

This wasn't a kit btw...
This is so sick! Great job! Ive got a few questions though since this seems like something I would be interested in doing. What experience is necessary to build it? I can solder pretty competently. And how much did this cost if you dont mind telling. I'm mostly interested in the cost of the amp though.
Quote by kurtlives91
Only one tap...

There is some neat stuff you can do with these push-pull cathode biased amps...Reducing the B+ (VVR) and it essentially acts like an attenuator.

This wasn't a kit btw...

No i got that it wasn't a kit, just commenting on something i've seen in a few kits that looked pretty cool.

If you decide to do another 18 watt style amp look into dissimilar output stages. I've heard that an EL84 and a 6V6 can be used in an amp and actually produce a very nice output.
^^I built three amps prior to this one and forty or so pedals... If you can follow a schematic and layout and have decent troubleshooting skills you'll have a good shot at getting a working amp. I would try something a bit simpler first.

Probably cost around $800 USD or so.... (rough estimate)...I had most of the parts already (resistors, sockets, pots, jacks)
Last edited by kurtlives91 at Dec 9, 2008,
Quote by XgamerGt04
No i got that it wasn't a kit, just commenting on something i've seen in a few kits that looked pretty cool.

If you decide to do another 18 watt style amp look into dissimilar output stages. I've heard that an EL84 and a 6V6 can be used in an amp and actually produce a very nice output.

This place Trinity makes an 18W (and kit) that is called the v6. It has a switch to select either EL84 or 6v6s both in cathode bias and producve roughly the same output. Very cool amps...
Quote by kurtlives91
This place Trinity makes an 18W (and kit) that is called the v6. It has a switch to select either EL84 or 6v6s both in cathode bias and producve roughly the same output. Very cool amps...

The ability to use one of the other is cool, but i've heard of some people using one of each at the same time. From what I understand because the tubes can be biased to very similar wattage it is quite easy to use them in the same output stage, they just have to be biased seperately etc.
Wow the price isnt bad at all. I'm surprised to hear it was that cheap actually. I plan on modding my Dunlop Crybaby Wah first, if I do that without any problems would that be a good start?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm new to guitar modding (but I have done alot of other electrical modding)
^^I know some guys who had no prior experience and built an amp. Try a Tweed Deluxe or Champ.

^Ya, I'm a sucker for starved plate designs. One's a boost/overdrive and the other is a boost/tremolo. The oscillator in the tremolo is SS as tubes need high voltage to oscillate. Both great pedals actually.
I couldn't resist asking but... are the tube pedals' schematics by Frequencycentral from DIYstompboxes.com by any chance?
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
Well... at least I was half-right... :P
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
I've heard great things about the tone tubby speaker...

It's a shame they're hella expensive.

I'd love to throw a pair of those bad boys in my 212...
------

Shwiggity.
Ya the AlNiCo ones are supposed to be just amazing, but ya they are $300 USD. And that's only for a 112, if your serious about tone though....

Check out the ceramics though, they are much cheaper.
Wow, I had only seen their ALNiCo and bass models, the ceramic ones are pretty reasobable.

Good choice, man!
Got a quartet of JJ EL84s today...threw two in tonight.

I like them a lot! Much more lively compared to the EHX tubes. The bass is definitely more prominent and much rounder and tighter, my style! Great clarity and fullness. I really like em, glad I bought em.
GOOD GOD your pedalboard is HUGE
BACK LIKE A HEART ATTACK
Again an amazing job Kurt!
Damn I envy you, having a homebuilt Deluxe Reverb AND an 18 watt amp. Sweet!

Also congrats on getting it to work at the first start up, you're getting better and better
The gear is in the profile.
You know you want to take a look

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Strat-mangling, echo-eating janglefan σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Did you ever finish whatever you were doing to your Deluxe Reverb?
Quote by Kai07
GOOD GOD your pedalboard is HUGE

I was gonna say that. It really, really is.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by SVStee
Did you ever finish whatever you were doing to your Deluxe Reverb?

Ya, it's working now and playable. Needs tweaking and noise reduction. Not long now...

Hmm projects..
Working on a custom design pre-amp, it's a cool unit.
Torn between two amps for the next build....it's either a Hiwatt style amp or a Vox style amp. Hmmmm choices...

Thanks for the end words. (the pedalboard has grown since that pic )
Quote by kurtlives91
Ya, it's working now and playable. Needs tweaking and noise reduction. Not long now...

Hmm projects..
Working on a custom design pre-amp, it's a cool unit.
Torn between two amps for the next build....it's either a Hiwatt style amp or a Vox style amp. Hmmmm choices...

Thanks for the end words. (the pedalboard has grown since that pic )

Sounds cool, if it were me id go for the vox! love the classic british tone they produce!

Ever thought of doing something like a Marshall JTM45? or super lead? Two of my favourite amps ever.
Ya I am leaning towards the Vox as well. The Hiwatt might get lost between the 18W and Deluxe Reverb, a Vox is totally different.

The JTM45 was going to be my next amp... It's too damn loud. I am 16 and live at home, I would kill someone with it's output. I can assure you though, someday I will own a JTM45.
Quote by kurtlives91
Ya I am leaning towards the Vox as well. The Hiwatt might get lost between the 18W and Deluxe Reverb, a Vox is totally different.

The JTM45 was going to be my next amp... It's too damn loud. I am 16 and live at home, I would kill someone with it's output. I can assure you though, someday I will own a JTM45.

Yeah true, Vox is the way to go

Theyre crazy loud, I've never played one but I've been near one being played, and SHO driven :S its one of my dream amps, luckily it was on a hotplate so it wasn't too bad, but still ear splitting but theres always DIY attenuators?

Either that or an isolation cabinet