I have been in love with Yanic Bercier for quite awhile now. Not too long ago I understood what trigers were and what they did. Now it is one thing to use triggers only on the bass drum, because at high speeds it can sound really bad, but Yanic uses them on every tom...

What do you think of drummers like this?
It really makes me wonder if he could play just as well on a regular set. This thread is not only about Yanic, but about drummers who use triggers on all toms
Only the blue sky and the green grass
Go on forever in this world
Where seconds feel like eternity
And years pass in blink of an eye
I'd love to discuss but... What are triggers?
My signature has doubled...
do you mean onstage? or in the studio?

because in the studio, every single modern band (with a single-digit number of exceptions), mix in triggered drum tones along with their actual hits for every kick, snare and tom hit
I only use triggers on the kicks... To me using them on toms just makes it not sound natural... I never really liked the whole electronic drum set sound. It just sounds too fake.
Quote by JC13
Really? I thought they just compressed it a bit after recording.. Like, no trigger on the recording, but maybe editing the recording to make the sounds more even, etc. Strange.

no man... it's not too well-known, but the fact is, using triggers lets you shape the tone of the drums to infinite possibilities. Even when a professional session drummer lays down tracks, they usually use Drumagogue or some similar triggering program to mix in a sample of a kick drum to go with every original kick drum hit. same goes for toms and snare.

but because it's mixed, not just replaced, you still get the original performance, the original feel, etc... but each kick, snare and tom hit now has consistent tone, consistent decay, etc etc etc... if there IS a bad hit on the original performance, they might raise the volume of the triggered sound on that particular hit, as a fix.
I hate triggers because of the way shitty drummers use them. They play way too damn fast with the triggers and it sounds like a retard shooting a plastic table with a machine gun.
It'd be fine if they used them in the studio to make the recording process easier, which is what good drummers do. Using triggers to make yourself play faster than is normally possible is pathetic, though.
Yea the dude from Amon Amarth does the same thing. Its slightly disappointing buts its about the music at the end of the day. I don;t like Amon Amarth but the point people, the point.....
Originally posted by J_Dizzle
THAAAANK YOU GoodCharloteSux is god
yeah, in a live setting, i agree that triggers are for chumps. but in the studio, when you're looking for the perfect sound, the perfect performance, the perfect blend of tones, etc... triggers make life way easier.
Quote by frigginjerk
when you're looking for the perfect sound, the perfect performance, the perfect blend of tones, etc... triggers make life way easier.

these aren't just any triggers. these are M + S triggers.
"And after all of this, I am amazed...

...that I am cursed far more than I am praised."
Quote by Tom_hatton
I read this as "Tigger Rape"

+1

and now i feel so dirty for clicking this thread...
DOWN WITH THIS SORT OF THING
and
CAREFUL NOW

No man needs a holiday more than the man who has just had one.
Quote by madbasslover
I hate triggers because of the way shitty drummers use them. They play way too damn fast with the triggers and it sounds like a retard shooting a plastic table with a machine gun.
It'd be fine if they used them in the studio to make the recording process easier, which is what good drummers do. Using triggers to make yourself play faster than is normally possible is pathetic, though.

Triggers don't make you faster.
Today is yesterday's tomorrow.
Quote by TheBabySnatcher
Triggers don't make you faster.

They do make it easier to play faster though.
Quote by Trefellin
You know a music scene is fucked up when it becomes difficult to keep track of who killed who, who committed suicide and who alledgedly engaged in cannibalism.

LastFM
I like them, went to see this guy doing a drum and bass set using a triggered drum kit and a laptop for the rest of it. Was awesome
I've Made You A Drawing of a Giraffe Fucking an Elephant. Notice How His Moustache Looks Just Like Mine.

Your Mother's Got a Penis
Quote by Sol9989
these aren't just any triggers. these are M + S triggers.

?

i'm not sure what M + S triggers are... the triggers I'm talking about are applied to a recorded track in the studio, AFTER it's been recorded, so that each drum hit on the grid triggers the drum sound from the software.

if you mean someone using triggered tones on their kit while they are actually recording, then that's a whole big can of weak sauce, same as relying on trigger-tones on stage to make your playing sound better.
Ugh.

Triggers can't make you play faster.

They allow you to play at your full speed while at the same time making your kick sound tighter, so that the super-fast double kick parts come through nicely.

Also, using triggers live isn't for chumps, it allows to have a consistent kick-tone, no matter what.

And another thing, the guy that said every modern metal band uses triggers for their entire kit is highly exaggerating. Quite a lot of drummers don't like triggering tom sounds, or snare sounds.
A trigger is a little.. let's call it a motion detector, that you lay down on one of your drums (for example the snare drum) and then whenever you hit the snare, the trigger senses your hit and sends an impulse into the mixing table to play the sound of the snare, thus making all of your hits more or less even.

It's useful when making long runs on the snare, you might lose strength and hit a few weak notes otherwise.
Quote by SleepTalkinMan
"Ooh! Straight-jackets online! Christmas sorted."
On Forever he didn't use triggers, he was awesome.

He is still awesome.
ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Mitchell?
Ugh.

Also, using triggers live isn't for chumps, it allows to have a consistent kick-tone, no matter what.

And another thing, the guy that said every modern metal band uses triggers for their entire kit is highly exaggerating. Quite a lot of drummers don't like triggering tom sounds, or snare sounds.

i said both those things... using triggers live to improve tone is fine. but using them because you can't hit your toms right is lame.

and i didn't say every modern metal band, i said every modern BAND. and i was talking about a different kind of triggering, where you mix in triggered drum tones to a recorded track after it's been recorded, to make the tones consistent and easy to mix.

and believe me, way more bands than you think use triggers like that on their studio stuff. you'd be hard-pressed to find any record-label band that will claim they never had triggered tones mixed in on their studio drum stuff.
i got an erection all for nothing, thanks ts
Quote by snipelfritz
I used to think that way. Then, I went through high school without getting laid once.

well u did it wrong.