Well, I bought a second-hand Crate VC-50 about a year ago. For those of you who don't know, it's a low gain, 50w, 3x10, all tube amp. Through research, I found it went out of circulation in 1995. It's very similar to the new Crate Palomino series. Here's a picture:

Anyways, I have decided that this is MY amp. It has a beautiful, unique tone. I will never be getting rid of this amp. So why not make it my own. There are a few things I want to do.

First, I need to re-tube it. I've got no idea how old the tubes are, so I figure I might as well replace them before they wind up blowing live on stage. Is there any difference in tubes? Is there such thing as tubes that are higher gain, or that overdrive at lower volumes.

Second, speakers. It has Crate speakers. Would it be worth it to throw some nice, high end speakers into it? What kind of difference would I see?

Third, tolex and grill cover. I want this baby to stand out, so I want to put something unique on it. I don't know where to go to buy these, and every website I have run across seems shady at best.

Last, hardware. Knobs, control plate, corners, handle(s) and casters. Where do I go to buy these? I have a feeling a control plate (The thingy the knobs sit on) is going to be impossible to replace. Any ideas? Also, I want to add those big fancy side handles I've seen on 4x12 cabs. How difficult would that be?

Oh, also, how hard would it be to install a fan in the back for the tubes? I've seen it done before...
Amps:
Crate Vintage Club 50
Epiphone Studio 10

Pedals:
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Digitech Bad Monkey Tube Overdrive
MXR 10 Band Equalizer
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff w/Top Boost
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
I wish I had some advice for you but that way outside my experience level for amps. I did want to take the time to say that I really like that picture. If that set up sounds as good as it looks then you are lucky.
Read the tube sticky for advice on tubes. Post there if you decide you want to swap them and need help choosing.

As far as speakers are concerned, if your tone isn't clear enough speakers will help greatly. Otherwise you don't need them IMO.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
for tubes, see the sticky. it actually helps A LOT.

speakers: if it doesn't sound too bad as it is, there's no need to change. a friend of mine has a marshall 4x10 cab with celestion speakers that don't sound too great, so I'm not sure if the 10 inchers are as reputable as the 12s.

grille/tolex: the tolex is already pretty sweet, but have you considered spraypainting something onto the grille? i saw a fender twin a while back that had some cool egyptian writing spraypainted on the grille and i thought it was pretty epic.

casters/handles (no need to mess with everything else...): first advice: invest in a road case for the amp before installing casters. protect your baby! that road case should, in turn, have handles. you're covered!

before posting: sweet amp! how much did that thing run you??
I actually managed to pick her up for only $350 USD. As for the tubes, thanks, I'll check that out. And so speakers wouldn't be worth it??

And as for the tolex and cover, I really want to get something new and clean. I'm going to stick with the vintage feel, just I want more pizazz to it.
Amps:
Crate Vintage Club 50
Epiphone Studio 10

Pedals:
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Digitech Bad Monkey Tube Overdrive
MXR 10 Band Equalizer
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff w/Top Boost
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
It's a total waste to do something for the looks of a cheap amp. That was and still is a budget tube amp, they sound good, but they aren't worth fixing up visually.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not