i have been teaching myself guitar on and off for awhile now. i know basic chords, a few songs and solos, mostly basics of guitar. when i practice, its pretty much unorganized and just playing around. what should i be doing? where do i go from here?
scales, and make it a little organized. it shouldnt be work but it also shouldnt be like a freeforall if you have no idea what your doing...
thatll discourage you
Work with a passion.

Be strict and thorough with what u learn, but remember it's to achieve ur musical goal.

With that being said. What do you wanna learn/accomplish musical or playing wise on guitar?

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
I recommend getting yourself a band of musicians with skill level equal to you. That way you will all set goals for each other because you all have to know what to play in each of the songs that you choose. You will also be able to motivate each other much more effectively than if you were playing on your own.
I know you probably hear tons of people say this, but one of the best things to do is take lessons from a well educated teacher. I started taking lessons a few years ago, and up to that point, I was just like you were, (well maybe a little more advanced). But I was self taught, and there was only so much I was seeing. Not untill I got a teacher, did I really start to improve, and become a good guitarist. I'm not saying I'm amazing guitarist now, I'm just saying it helps. I still take lessons to this day, and I'm constantly learning things. If you can't afford lessons of course, then I'd recommend buying a good solid book. My guitar teacher has me going through one right now.

Also, the guy before me was on the right track with surronding yourself with other musicians, except I've been told it helps if you play with people who are a little bit better then you, so then it will require a little extra work to play with them, instead of just breezing by it. None the less though, it does help top play with other musicians.
Last edited by tele432 at Dec 15, 2008,
Quote by kbm216
i have been teaching myself guitar on and off for awhile now. i know basic chords, a few songs and solos, mostly basics of guitar. when i practice, its pretty much unorganized and just playing around. what should i be doing? where do i go from here?

Take some lessons if you need guidance.
shred is gaudy music

Start learning more complex chords.

Learn the major scale, learn it all the way up and down the neck.

Learn how to alter the major scale to make other scales and modes.

Learn the way you can go back and forth between scales and chords to construct chords, and do more interesting voicings, or see possible embellishments, because you now understand what you're actually playing.

I suggest you get a good teacher. There are a lot of great guys who will make it 50 times easier for you to learn this stuff, and will be able to give you some form of direction in your playing. If you do get a teacher, make sure you let him know what you expect out of it. Tell him what your eventual goals of playing are, what you want to learn, etc. He will build a plan that will eventually get you there. And make sure you apply what you learn by learning songs that feature the technique or idea.