Hi guys. You might remember this thread of mine:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=985012

I had this guitar (fender strat) professionally set up by a local guitar tech (who was recommened to me by a guy at work). This was 4 weeks ago. When I got the guitar back from him 4 weeks ago, the fret buzz was gone. Now, during the last 3 or so days, it has re-appeared and now it's just as bad as it was before the set up. What should I do? Is it because the strings need to be changed? They're not even that "black" yet so I don't get what gives. And now when I play some of those frets that buzz, when I play through my amp, it makes a nasty buzz on the amp too. I don't know if it's the amp doing it, but I know for sure there's fret buzz there because if I play the guitar unplugged you can definitely tell.

Please give me some advice UG'ers. I'm thinking to take back the guitar to the same tech on Thursday to discuss this with him. I am wondering if a simple string change would solve this, but I doubt it. Thank you in advance.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
have you changed teh tuning at all? if the tensions too low it may give fret buzz if its as low as it can go at normal tuning.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
Hey,
I'm no pro on the subject that's for sure, but what I'm guessing is that it has to do with the strings and how tight they are AKA tension (changing the strings would probably be your best bet?). It could also be the truss rod (the steel rod in the guitar) or the bridge or something. It could also be the tuning keys, but I doubt it.

Sorry I can't help you that much. Have you tried googling the problem?
Quote by Joshe_009
Hey,
I'm no pro on the subject that's for sure, but what I'm guessing is that it has to do with the strings and how tight they are (changing the strings would probably be your best bet?). It could also be the truss rod (the steel rod in the guitar) or the bridge or something. It could also be the tuning keys, but I doubt it.

Sorry I can't help you that much. Have you tried googling the problem?

the only one of those that would affect it would be the bridge or the truss rod. seeing as the truss rod PROBABLY hasnt moved since the tech touched it, it could be the bridge. but its probably jus the tension in the strings. get new ones, retune em, and then check back here.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
I edited my post. I meant the tension in the strings when I said how tight they were, not how tight they were from the tuning. Sorry.
I haven't changed anything at all in the last 4 weeks. The guitar stays in tune pretty much perfectly so I haven't had to make any adjustments really. I may have done a very slight tuning adjustment at some point a week ago cause the G string was off by like a few cents, but that's about it.

If it helps, I play in standard tuning and the string are 10-46 gauge Ernie Ball "classic rock and roll" (the ones that are pure nickel wound or something like that).

Also like I said, I haven't changed anything on the guitar since I got it from the tech guy. No truss rod adjustments, no bridge adjustments, nothing like that. I've also been using the same pick as I always use.

EDIT: I guess I'll just have to put on a new set of strings and then see what the deal is. If the problem persists after that into the next week, I'm thinking just take the guitar back to the tech and complain about it since I did pay $60 for the original job.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Last edited by MustangSVT at Dec 9, 2008,
Hmm... how about getting the strings replaced? If possible, by your local guitar shop?

EDIT: Also, try a different string gauge and brand.
Last edited by Joshe_009 at Dec 9, 2008,
Quote by Joshe_009
Hmm... how about getting the strings replaced? If possible, by your local guitar shop?

EDIT: Also, try a different string gauge and brand.

I am alright at replacing strings myself, have done it half a dozen times now and I can put them so it stays in tune well. I'm thinking what you're thinking, try a different brand, but I do want to stay in this gauge because that's what I'm used to playing. I have played extensively in 9-42 gauge and also in 10-52 gauge and didn't like either of them. I will try D'addario 10-46's. Thank you for the suggestions and advice.

I just wanted to make sure that there isn't something dumb that I'm missing here. You lot must be as dumbfounded by this problem as I am.

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

I use D'Addario strings, they're good -- well, they're good for me. I found extra light strings to be pretty good as well.

I'm thinking the way you change your strings might be causing the problem. The first time I changed the strings I got fret buzz as well.
Well as it currently is, the strings were wound by the professional tech guy. When he did the "set up" 4 weeks ago, that included changing the strings and they're basically wound around the tuners as perfect as humanly possible. The work the guy did included doing some fretwork, fixing the bridge down, adjusting the pickup height, putting some graphite on the nut, adjusting truss rod, etc.

I want to stress that I haven't done anything to the guitar since I got it set up from the tech 4 weeks ago except playing it. I haven't exposed it to different humidity/temperature conditions, it stays in my basement where it is 21-22C throughout the whole day. I also play it in my basement, it doesn't go anywhere else. This is why I am lost as to what's causing this, I haven't done anything to the guitar, I've only been playing it.

I think I'm gonna drop by the tech tomorrow just to have a quick chat with him about this whole business and ask him what he thinks.

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Last edited by MustangSVT at Dec 9, 2008,
Ok I took it to the tech guy today. He looked at it, played it through his Mesa amp, raised the action by the tiniest of amounts on G and B strings, and the problem is now gone. He didn't charge me anything for it and he was really cool about it. Problem solved, yay!

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

gj mustang
Gear
Gibson Les Paul std faded, Godin LG
Marshall jcm900
Keeley ds1, maxon od808, boston tu500, RMC Wizard
awesome! how do you store it when not playing? is it laying on its back, perched against a wall in the corner? how do you store it when not in use?
Quote by jymellis
awesome! how do you store it when not playing? is it laying on its back, perched against a wall in the corner? how do you store it when not in use?

I have one of those guitar stands where it sits with the neck pointing up and it's angled at like 5-10 degrees.

Just like this one: (not my picture)

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110