Hello all,

I am going to attempt to build a replica of George Harrison's "Rocky" that is as historically accurate as possible. However, I am a bit of a noob when it comes to vintage Fenders. I implore the wise members of GB&C to please assist my research for this project.

Here is my shopping list:
Allparts Sonic Blue Alder strat body -- $300
--or Fender 62 RI Strat body in sonic blue -- $250-ish (on ebay)
CIJ Fender 62 RI Strat neck-- $160 BOUGHT (ebay)
Fender Vintage Synchronized Trem (chrome) -- $90
Fender CS '69 Strat Pickups -- $190
Fender Vintage '62 11-hole 3-ply pickquard -- $20
3-way switch -- $14
1 volume, 2 tone knobs (white) -- ~$7
Strat switch knob (white) -- $1.25
Chrome recessed Jack plate -- $5.50
3 250k pots -- $15
wiring -- $8
Standard Strap buttons (chrome) -- $3
copper shielding tape -- $6
Graphtech nut -- $10
Gotoh vintage machine heads -- $28
Chrome neck plate -- $4.50

Please, any literature you have about Rocky or pre-CBS strats would be greatly appreciated. Critiques and suggestions of my list are welcome, but please keep the conversation on topic; I am building this guitar as a tribute to the man that made me pick up the instrument. However, keep in mind that I am a student and will not be able to spring for completely vintage parts (also be patient -- getting the money for this build will be slow).

I will update this thread once this build commences and keep updating it until I can finally post my NGD thread.

Thanks!
Colin
I can get you discounts on all of the parts you need... PM me
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
Quote by colin617

Fender CS '69 Strat Pickups -- $190

If you want to build a Pre CBS style strat then you need to use pre CBS style pickups. CBS took over in the mid 60's so you need pickups based on late 50's and early 60's models. The pickups in rocky, if I'm not mistaken, were 1962 pickups.

If you are dead set on getting fender pickups for the Pre CBS tone then your best bet is to try and find a set of Big Dippers (the John Mayer signature pickups) on ebay.

For pre CBS tone you need hand wound pickups made with 42awg heavy formvar wire, alnico 5 magnets, fiber bobbins, and the magnets CAN NOT be beveled. All of these things are very important for that pre CBS tone. Common shortcuts that are taken are machine guided wire (even if they advertise their pickups as hand made), beveled magnets to speed up assembly, and using alnico 2 or 3 magnets so that they can avoid degaussing alnico 5.

I could get you the right pickups for a similar price as the fenders but if you don't want them from me I also gave you the information you need to be able to hunt down the pickups and get them from somebody else. It just seems like a shame to put all the work in only to install pickups that won't sound right!
Not taking any online orders.
Last edited by CorduroyEW at Dec 10, 2008,
Quote by CorduroyEW
If you want to build a Pre CBS style strat then you need to use pre CBS style pickups. CBS took over in the mid 60's so you need pickups based on late 50's and early 60's models. The pickups in rocky, if I'm not mistaken, were 1962 pickups.

If you are dead set on getting fender pickups for the Pre CBS tone then your best bet is to try and find a set of Big Dippers (the John Mayer signature pickups) on ebay.

For pre CBS tone you need hand wound pickups made with 42awg heavy formvar wire, alnico 5 magnets, fiber bobbins, and the magnets CAN NOT be beveled. All of these things are very important for that pre CBS tone. Common shortcuts that are taken are machine guided wire (even if they advertise their pickups as hand made), beveled magnets to speed up assembly, and using alnico 2 or 3 magnets so that they can avoid degaussing alnico 5.

I could get you the right pickups for a similar price as the fenders but if you don't want them from me I also gave you the information you need to be able to hunt down the pickups and get them from somebody else. It just seems like a shame to put all the work in only to install pickups that won't sound right!

listen to the man!
Thank you please.
Quote by CorduroyEW

Sweet! Thanks for the info! I will definitely be getting in touch with you once I get to that stage of the build!
Honestly, if you don't get rockmonkey guitar pickups you're wasting your time.
Quote by forsaknazrael
You should probably mug John Frusciante or Ritchie Blackmore. They're small guys, we could take 'em.

Just look out for that other guy in the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Will Farrel. He's a tall mofo, got a long reach.

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

Quote by CorduroyEW

This man is a master of his craft.
------

Shwiggity.