ok so heres where im at: i played years ago and started up again recently. my problem is i am stuck. i am very sloppy and can't really play anything perfectly clean. how exactly should i practice? how slowly do i start playing and then what do i do to pick up the speed? should my finger positioning be the exact same for each lick or scale everytime i play it?
play slow...
and if the thing ur playing requires a limited number of frets, try using all ur fingers (eg if a scale shape requires uses 4 frets, assign each finger a particular fret)
should i worry about the fingers being placed the exact same way each time?
playing it the same way every time will help you play a run or scale cleaner sooner than if you do something different every time. play slow at first and then continue to play faster until you can't play it cleanly. just keep practicing and your overall speed and control will get better.
Quote by will4287
playing it the same way every time will help you play a run or scale cleaner sooner than if you do something different every time. play slow at first and then continue to play faster until you can't play it cleanly. just keep practicing and your overall speed and control will get better.

so how do i know if i have the finger positioning right? i dont want to get into bad habits. i only want or take lessions as a last resort
Quote by cantcme2
ok so heres where im at: i played years ago and started up again recently. my problem is i am stuck. i am very sloppy and can't really play anything perfectly clean. how exactly should i practice? how slowly do i start playing and then what do i do to pick up the speed? should my finger positioning be the exact same for each lick or scale everytime i play it?

You go as slow as you have to to play something perfectly - you speed up by 5bpm or so when you feel confident enough playing it at the slow speed.

Now, if you speed up and find yourself playing sloppily that means you sped up too soon and you need to slow back down.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com