so hiya, i''ve been playing bass guitar for 4months-ish, not hardcore, only when the band meets up, 1-2 a week.

anyhoo, i joined my friends band on a limb cause they needed a bassist. i only played guitar, and i wasn't great at that either (striving to be self taught, w/o the internets help aside from tabliture.)

but i really need to improve in bass, i don't want my suck mixing in with the bands talent. any ideas on practice regimens or whatnots? ( i don't have an amp at all, and i'm kinda broke and needing to buy my own bass too cause this bass is his dads bass, pretty ancient thing the lead singer doesn't want me to break.)

another question, i was thinking bout getting a 5 string bass, but i'm still a beginner, bad move? why so?

also, every time i search for ****, i end up empty handed, please, don't say "search" and then don't give me a keyword to search. hate that.
Getting a 5 string isn't necessarily a bad move, but I think you should get a 4 string first.
Most people here are going to recommend you try a Squier Custom Vintage Jazz. It's cheap and plays/sounds nice.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
If you feel like getting a 5 string, go ahead and get one.

Get a metronome or some other way to keep time, practice scales. Practiece at different tempos not just blistering fast.

There is big thread about scales around here somewhere.

When your with your band you don't have to be crazy. Start with roots, get a little better, then start adding some fills.
^ What he said.

I started out on a fiver and turned out fine. A four-banger is easier to get good at, but not by much...

Basically just go to a music store and start playing stuff. Of you like the feel of a fiver better, get one.
Nope, no sig here.
I have a five and I kinda wish I got a four..I don't really use the B much unless I'm converting a guitar song to bass and need it

other than that its just a good place to put my thumb X]
Quote by _Stone_
I have a five and I kinda wish I got a four..I don't really use the B much unless I'm converting a guitar song to bass and need it

other than that its just a good place to put my thumb X]

You could always string it EADGC if you don't want the low B.
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are bruises from fighting. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
Funky Muthafucka Of The Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 To Join.
UG Irish Clan-Póg mo thóin
Quote by Caustic
Beast Within, you're awesome.
Quote by Beast_Within
You could always string it EADGC if you don't want the low B.

that..is a good idea lol

is there a reason for the C? I would think it should be B

edit: fifth fret thing?
Last edited by _Stone_ at Dec 11, 2008,
Quote by _Stone_
that..is a good idea lol

If you can come up with a reason. Go for what you want man.
get an ibanez gsr205, ibanez basses are the best for beginners, i have a gsr200 and i love it
What doesn't kill us, only makes us stronger

Bass: Ibanez Gsr200
Bass amp: Ibanez sw100 stack

Guitar: squier starter pack

never buy a squier!
Yea, I've only been playing for a short while, and recently started getting lessons from an amazing bass teacher, I reccomend lessons if you can afford them, or see if your school or schools in the area offer free music programs

As for ways to get better, i suggest

Chromatics, simply just to synch your two hands together and get them on the same page so to speak
[Play 1st finger on 5th fret, 2nd finger, 6th fret, 3rd finger 7th fret, Pinky, 8th Fret, go in order up the strings [E A D G] and then go to the third fret, and repeat, then to first fret, and do it to a metronome

Practice scales
Major, Minor, Mixolydian
[Major- Start on any fret [5th for example]
On the E string
Play 5-7
Then A string
4-5-7
D string
4-6-7
And make sure you use all your fingers in the right positions

Minor
E string
5 7 8
A string
5 7 8
D String
5 7

Mixolydian
Same thing as major but flatten the 7th
On the E string
Play 5-7
Then A string
4-5-7
D string
4-5-7

And then, my last suggestion is just look up Arrpeggio's which is essentially playing the Root, Third, Fifth, and Seventh [and you can throw in the octave too] of a scale or chord, [the way I do it anyway]

Do all this to a metronome and slowly work your way up in speed.
Eventually get to like 130 or higher doing 16th notes and it will all start to click

As for the 5 string, all preference honestly, I play a 4 and plan on playing a four for as long as I can, Its just whatever you want it for honestly
Best of luck!
Quote by _Stone_
that..is a good idea lol

Bass tuning is in straight fourths. So a standard six string bass would be tuned BEADGC, as opposed to a (six-string) guitar which is usually tuned EADGBE. Guitars break the straight fourths tuning on the high B and E strings which would be C and F if the pattern was maintained (as it is on a bass).
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are bruises from fighting. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
Funky Muthafucka Of The Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 To Join.
UG Irish Clan-Póg mo thóin
Quote by Caustic
Beast Within, you're awesome.
I believe the point of B E thing was that it made chords easier or something like that. may be wrong.

I started on a 5 stringer. then went to 4. then went to 6. now my main bass has 4. more strings = more possibilities. I just use 4 cuz i found a gem of a bass and it had 4 strings. Start with 5 if you like but i'd try a few 4 stringers and 5 stringers and make sure you like the feel of the wider neck first.

EDIT: I second the Ibanez thing. They make great cheap basses. I think they make great basses all together really, but they're budget models are amazing for the money IMO.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Learn Chords and learn the so called chord tones first

etc; if you see a "C" chord you can outline it by playing C-E-G (R-3-5) and voila you got a good fondation to build from

Practic with a drumLoop or a metronome etc play |C|C|C|G|G|C|C|F|F| or whatever chord proggresion you want, you can stay on one chord if you want too
Quote by .oxygen
Yea, I've only been playing for a short while, and recently started getting lessons from an amazing bass teacher, I reccomend lessons if you can afford them, or see if your school or schools in the area offer free music programs

As for ways to get better, i suggest

Chromatics, simply just to synch your two hands together and get them on the same page so to speak
[Play 1st finger on 5th fret, 2nd finger, 6th fret, 3rd finger 7th fret, Pinky, 8th Fret, go in order up the strings [E A D G] and then go to the third fret, and repeat, then to first fret, and do it to a metronome

Practice scales
Major, Minor, Mixolydian
[Major- Start on any fret [5th for example]
On the E string
Play 5-7
Then A string
4-5-7
D string
4-6-7
And make sure you use all your fingers in the right positions

Minor
E string
5 7 8
A string
5 7 8
D String
5 7

Mixolydian
Same thing as major but flatten the 7th
On the E string
Play 5-7
Then A string
4-5-7
D string
4-5-7

And then, my last suggestion is just look up Arrpeggio's which is essentially playing the Root, Third, Fifth, and Seventh [and you can throw in the octave too] of a scale or chord, [the way I do it anyway]

Do all this to a metronome and slowly work your way up in speed.
Eventually get to like 130 or higher doing 16th notes and it will all start to click

As for the 5 string, all preference honestly, I play a 4 and plan on playing a four for as long as I can, Its just whatever you want it for honestly
Best of luck!

DO NOT learn scales as finger positions and fret numbers. They are completely pointless in that way, and you may as well play any fingering combination. Learn the notes in a scale, and work out the best way to play it on your bass. learn the scale on one string, two strings, three strings and four strings. it will help you learn the fretboard a lot quicker.
I agree with applehead, learning scale/ finger postions as fret numbers kind of limits what you can do, well it did for me, as i had all these diffrent boxes that i could play, for example starting on the 7th fret, but then i wouldnt know how to get out of that box because i wasnt sure what notes i could play with in a choosen scale, becuase i'd just learnt the pattern i.e. 7 9 10, i didnt know what notes i was playing, hence i didnt know what notes were in the scales. A very bad way to play guitar.

No offence to you .oxygen, i appriecate you trying to help the TS.

About the band, dont feel like you have to rush yourself to be amazing, it'll all come with time and im sure, if your band are worth being with they will give you the time to grow and develop, if not then imo it really wouldnt be a good enviroment to play in.
Black Knight CF-60F Semi-Acoustic.

Black Knight CP200 (Red flamed maple).

Neck-thru 4 string bass.

Acoustic 6 string.
Also, regarding the band.. you'll be surprised how much you improve by playing with people, especially those at a greater skill level. If they are nice guys you will learn from them, not be made to feel inadequate..

good luck bro
Quote by Applehead
Also, regarding the band.. you'll be surprised how much you improve by playing with people, especially those at a greater skill level. If they are nice guys you will learn from them, not be made to feel inadequate..

good luck bro

This is so true. I've learned to play Jazz bass this way and there is nothing you will ever get from a book or the internet that will compare to playing with a real group of people. The group I play with were/are patient and their knowledge and constructive criticism has pushed my bass playing to a much higher level.
u should really start out with a 4 string
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Custom Shop Silverburst (Invader/'59)
-Fender Standard Telecaster HH Black (SH-5/'59)
-Fender Standard Stratocaster HH White (Nazgul/'59)
-Austin Guitars Les Paul Goldtop Copy (Distortion/'59)
-Ovation ApplauseAE44II Elite Black Acoustic

Amps/Cabs
-Peavey 6505+
-Peavey Stereo Chorus 2x12 Combo
-Behringer Ultracoustic ACX450 1x8 Acoustic Combo
-Marshall MX2x12 Cabinet

Wayyyyy too many effects pedals...
Quote by Applehead
DO NOT learn scales as finger positions and fret numbers. They are completely pointless in that way, and you may as well play any fingering combination. Learn the notes in a scale, and work out the best way to play it on your bass. learn the scale on one string, two strings, three strings and four strings. it will help you learn the fretboard a lot quicker.

Offense not taken

Appreciated actually, as its something I really should focus on myself, and will, now its been brought to my attention.
cheap 5 string - ibanez gsr 205

get a 5 stringer if you want one, i started on 4 but i don't see any problem with starting on 5, you probs wont use the b string much if your a beginner tho