Hey guys, mike again, I was wondering, I was going to get a Marshall 1960A Lead cab to power my Hughes and Kettner Head which I've been playin through my TSL122's speakers lately by swapping the 16ohm jack and pluggin it into the H&K

I'm tryin to see if I can actually use that money on different gear, because I'd like very much the idea of using an ABY box between my TSL122 preamp and H&K Switchblade, to choose which head will be playing through the 122's two gorgeous celestions haha.

will this be able to work? I'm feeling slightly skeptical thinking that the power HAS to go somewhere if one heads on active with nowhere to send power to

UG nev failed me before,
thanks in advance
No, you can't do it. The power amp for which ever head wasn't connected to the cab at the time would be trying to push a load that isn't there - no load, no where for the 'juice' to go, blown ouput transformer. Not good.
If you had 2 inputs(stereo), wouldn't you be able to ABY between heads? have one in your left side, one in your right?
------

Shwiggity.
you could wired them to be 2 speakers per head, also trow in a switch so you can play all 4 speakers to 1 head when you want

Guitar : Fender CIJ Mustang and a Telecaster
Amp : 76 fender champ
Pedals : BBE green screamer, Big muff, Ibanez LU20 Pedal Tuner, boss loop pedal
i was just wondering if there was some way, somehow all these guitarists can carry 10 marshall heads on them and have 4 cabs to drive on stage

there has to be some way
as long as in the switch, the amp is ALWAYS connected to a set of speakers it will work. i think the best way to do it would be with a volume pedal type set up to blend the two in the mix into the cab, like doing a pan from left to right with it...i dunno if this is even possible?
you will need something like this to do it. not cheap, but it its the only product ive found that can safely switch 2 heads to one cabinet. you will have to get the correct one for your needs, ie 2 valve heads, 2 SS heads, or one of each.
Quote by Nagashiro
you could wired them to be 2 speakers per head, also trow in a switch so you can play all 4 speakers to 1 head when you want

That would result in impedance mismatches, not a smart decision really.

To the TS:

You need a stereo cab, most 4x12 cabs these days give you the option to run in stereo.
Quote by jof1029
you will need something like this to do it. not cheap, but it its the only product ive found that can safely switch 2 heads to one cabinet. you will have to get the correct one for your needs, ie 2 valve heads, 2 SS heads, or one of each.

theres a winner!
or so it seems.

one thing thats sort of annoying me is that I hear the effects loops won't work from the heads, which sort of confuses me because, wouldn't that all be in the output signal? strange.

I know my way around basic schematics and electronics of amplifiers and effects pedals, and I can't think of anything that would take out an effects loop in this situation.

I'm most likely going to take this one, thanks for the help guys! I'll be sure to post my rig as soon as its finished, jus got a San Dimas Charvel recently, and I'm happy as hell to pair it up with my H&K as well as my TSL122 (which I have to get retubed)

However, I did plan on having a decent wireless system in there as well, so it looks like i'm gonna have to get a basic rack setup as well, might as well not get a sonic stomp, but get the actual BBE rack unit.

Thanks!
that is the expensive way of doing it. If your cab is mic'd up then there is no reason to use all 4 speakers except for maybe more stage volume. The cheaper way of doing it is running the cab parallel and using 2 speakers for 1 amp and 2 speakers for the other.
I used to do this all the time when my band practiced. I would just tell the guitar player to bring his head and we would share a cab.