Ok I have a few questions that have been bothering me about these sub genres. What is the difference between Black Metal and Death Metal. What is the difference between Speed Metal and Thrash Metal. How are all these not sub sub genres of Heavy Metal?
...But they are all sub genres of Heavy Metal.
Quote by dminishedthingy
It didn't seem possible, but apparently Messiah can spam even more now.

Quote by \Powerslave/
I can see it now. "Dark Thrones and Black People".

Quote by \Powerslave/
I pretty much wank something small and sleek.

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!
Quote by MetalMessiah665
...But they are all sub genres of Heavy Metal.

This. But I will do my best here...

Death Metal is a pretty broad category. Most heavy metal bands that are fast could fall into this category.

Black Metal is Celtic Frost, Behemoth, that kind of stuff.

Thrash Metal is Sepultura, Slayer, maybe some of the old Metallica stuff.

Speed Metal is stuff like Iron Maiden.

I know that's really generalized, but that's my take on it.
YOU GUYS ARE NO HELP Don't you know you are supposed to elaborate on the subject here. Jeez. If they are all sub genres of heavy metal then that would make them all sub sub genres of metal leaving nothing left to go under the sub genre category which Heavy Metal falls under.
Quote by rebel624
YOU GUYS ARE NO HELP Don't you know you are supposed to elaborate on the subject here. Jeez. If they are all sub genres of heavy metal then that would make them all sub sub genres of metal leaving nothing left to go under the sub genre category which Heavy Metal falls under.

No, that makes no sense. Traditional Heavy Metal/NWOBHM is a sub-genre of Metal, as are all of these.
Quote by dminishedthingy
It didn't seem possible, but apparently Messiah can spam even more now.

Quote by \Powerslave/
I can see it now. "Dark Thrones and Black People".

Quote by \Powerslave/
I pretty much wank something small and sleek.

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!
iron maiden i thought was the new wave of bristish heavy metal
and speed metal i would go with stratovarius
Dude, think of it like a tree.

Under the metal "tree" is every genre and sub genre.
metal is it's own type of music, with it's own genres in it.
Quote by rush4life
Death metal is about brutal gore.

Black metal is about burning churches.

Problem solved?

wow, I suddenly feel a great dissapointment. Whats cool about gore and church burnings? Hell, Is there any cool songs that fall under these subcategories? I think this just could all be someones opinion.
i didnt know there was a difference between metal and heavy metal, i thought metal was just the short form of heavy metal
Wikipedia could really sum this up really nicely for you. Coupled with using Youtube and actually listening to what's written on wikipedia.

Don't be lazy. Use the internet and be resourceful.
I've found Jesus
Well you have to realize there has to be Lite Metal. Think about Guns N Roses, wouldn't you consider some of there songs lite metal?
Or you could just listen to a black metal band, then to a death metal band.
you'll figure out the differences
Quote by Contraband
Wikipedia could really sum this up really nicely for you. Coupled with using Youtube and actually listening to what's written on wikipedia.

Don't be lazy. Use the internet and be resourceful.

Your right, that will give me something to do, but hearing different opinions will be interesting.
lite metal......are you serious I hate how GNR seem to get this metal persona, i dont believe they are metal whatsoever
what makes music metal is how the music is played. like time sigs and scales and all that technical stuff. i think. atleast somewhat.
Quote by rebel624
Well you have to realize there has to be Lite Metal. Think about Guns N Roses, wouldn't you consider some of there songs lite metal?

So that means if there's black metal, there should be white metal?
Quote by Pageles
lite metal......are you serious I hate how GNR seem to get this metal persona, i dont believe they are metal whatsoever

What do you consider them hard rock? I still think they fall under metal category.
they're not metal... metal isn't just a heavy version of rock. that would be hard rock like disturbed. which isn't metal.
Quote by rush4life
So that means if there's black metal, there should be white metal?

There is white metal... wiki it. It's basically black metal but pro-christian.
no i wasn't putting them in hard rock.
i was saying a band like disturbed is hard rock.
with no real relation to the topic of guns and roses being metal or not.
just assuming he's assuming metal is the same as rock just heavier/harder
i am tired. wow.

no disturbed isn't metal.
they're rock that is made to sound like metal.
like the song structure is rock. but the tone or whatever the **** is metal?
i don't know it makes sense in my head.
Last edited by skate_guitar at Dec 10, 2008,
If you want to know the difference between thrash and speed metal, listen to Belly of the Beast by Anthrax, then listen to Raining Blood by Slayer... You'll hear the difference
What is this that stands before me?

Figure in black that points at me...

FUCKETH THINE SELF
Death metal - Generally attributed to heavily distorted guitars, downtuning, and fast paced music. Vocals are usually grunts or deep growls called "death grunts/growls" and occaisionally clean singing is used. the lyrics can be about anything from violence to emotions. Riffing is usually low register with lots and lots of palm muting and with solos either being twiddly-thrash wank solos or extremely complex and structured solos.

Black Metal - Massively distorted guitars, usually in E Standard. Either extremely fast paced or slow, rarely midtempo to avoid that 'rocking' feel that 80's hair rock had. Vocals usually consist of high-pitched shrieking and howling and sometimes clean vocals. The lyrics range from Satanism to coldness and the winter. Riffing is high-register usually and tremolo picked chords are almost always the main form of riffing, little to no palm muting is very common. Solos are avoided.

Now, leave.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Quote by webbtje
Sorry about this, dead-fish.

This thread lacks salt. And, I dunno, brains.

No no no, you must put effort into it! Like so:

Wow, this thread lacks salt...

See?

That being said, I actually got a headache reading most of the responses here. TS, I think you'll be happy to know that I care enough about your existance to pay for it to be nullified. I hope for you that you're not a virgin...
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
Quote by Shinsen88
This. But I will do my best here...

Death Metal is a pretty broad category. Most heavy metal bands that are fast could fall into this category.

Black Metal is Celtic Frost, Behemoth, that kind of stuff.

Thrash Metal is Sepultura, Slayer, maybe some of the old Metallica stuff.

Speed Metal is stuff like Iron Maiden.

I know that's really generalized, but that's my take on it.

lol
red thread, now leave and please never return. roughly one hundred percent of your posts have been utterly idiotic.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.