hey guys
i play guitar mainly in standard, or sometimes downtune the low e string to drop d, but i want also want to play in drop c to play stuff like bullet for my valentine and other heavier bands. But if i drop c'd the guitar, but also played in standard, will the standard tuning still be comfortable with the drop c strings??

also, can u recommend me song strings i should use for this???

(yes, i am new to string gauges)

Edit: Im not going to be going past drop c any time soon, so the 11's sound good. But good enough in standard, not being tight????
Call me Cam
Quote by DirtyMakik
I'm Han Solo, Splamron's Greedo.

Han shot first. Greedo's dead.
Last edited by splamron at Dec 11, 2008,
and does it matter on the guitar i have (its a schecter btw)
Call me Cam
Quote by DirtyMakik

I play with the 10 set regardless
which has made playing every tuning very easy for me

but most people will probably tell you light to extra light for standard and medium to heavy for drop tuning
standard and drop?

Ummm 10-46, I play System, Rage, Dragonforce, and 10 gauge never fails me
10s or 11s, if you've got strong hands then you could probably handle 12s in standard.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
10's sound like **** in drop c. Floppy and no balls at all. And people think having thinner strings makes it easier to play. It actually makes it harder to play if they are really floppy. If you have a heavier gauge in a low tuning the strings are tighter... so not only do they sound much much better you can play your thrash riffs or whatever really easy because they are tight. Although to heavy of a string makes it difficult. But to light of a string is even more difficult. And they bend way to easy. But mostly the tone just sucks. My last band had to force out other guitar player to quit using 10's in drop c. Now hybrid 10's are a different story. I use 10-52 in drop c. Because the 10's on the light strings are fine for it. It's the heavy strings that with a standard set of 10's sound like ****. So 10-52 has those 12's for the heavy strings. It has balls. It sounds good. I'd use 10-52 if I was you and with 10-52 you can tune up to standard too and it will still work. And you'll be able to play better because they won't be so lose.
Quote by hcsn2008
10's sound like **** in drop c. Floppy and no balls at all. And people think having thinner strings makes it easier to play. It actually makes it harder to play if they are really floppy. If you have a heavier gauge in a low tuning the strings are tighter... so not only do they sound much much better you can play your thrash riffs or whatever really easy because they are tight. Although to heavy of a string makes it difficult. But to light of a string is even more difficult. And they bend way to easy. But mostly the tone just sucks. My last band had to force out other guitar player to quit using 10's in drop c. Now hybrid 10's are a different story. I use 10-52 in drop c. Because the 10's on the light strings are fine for it. It's the heavy strings that with a standard set of 10's sound like ****. So 10-52 has those 12's for the heavy strings. It has balls. It sounds good. I'd use 10-52 if I was you and with 10-52 you can tune up to standard too and it will still work. And you'll be able to play better because they won't be so lose.

Depends on more things...
Action
Neck

And no, I dont sound bad with my strings in drop C
Quote by SadClown12
Depends on more things...
Action
Neck

And no, I dont sound bad with my strings in drop C

It'd sound better with heavier strings. Plus why not have them? It's easier to play. Playing a fast riff on strings that bend to easily is actually more difficult but people have this perception that thinner strings are easier to play and they aren't. And they just sound weak. Theres no balls to it at all.
i use the 12-56 earnie ball strings and they are great. I have the ibanez with them tuned in standard D. They play well until you get past A# standard..... which is just ridiculous. Anyway, 12-56's wont fail you.
Quote by McMetal
i use the 12-56 earnie ball strings and they are great. I have the ibanez with them tuned in standard D. They play well until you get past A# standard..... which is just ridiculous. Anyway, 12-56's wont fail you.

Yeah that's more like it. 12 56 sound good. I wouldn't tune down past A anyway. When people tune anywhere below drop c it sounds like garbage to me. I don't get that either. Drop c sounds just as heavy and it still has the mids in the notes so you can hear what's going on. When you tune down to B and A it's really muddy and it takes all the mids out of the notes. It's pointless when you can be in drop c and have every bit of the heavy tone and people can actually hear the notes.
yea the 11's sound good, should i by diadarrio??
Call me Cam
Quote by DirtyMakik

i don't really like D'addario's for their cheap feel i'd recommend DR Hi Beams or Hi Voltage strings since they do have a thicker core wire than D'addario's.
ESP Vintage 4
Fender American Special Jazz
Fender American Deluxe Precision
Ibanez SR700
Jackson DXMG
Fender American Standard Telecaster
SWR Black Beauty
Orange Thunderverb 50

Modulus Quantum 5 fund-$2150/$3369
DR strings by far are the best strings I've ever played and I have played a ton of brands. D addario don't feel cheap to me at all though. They are actually pretty similar to the DR's. Ernie balls feel extremely cheap and so do GHS. GHS sound so low... they have no brightness to them. I hate that.