uhm...hi im tj
im a beginer and i wanna play electric guitar but one of my friends recomended that i should start with an acoustic-electric guitar so i went to guitarcenter and
i bought an acoustc-electric fender for $400
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-CD220CE-Dreadnought-Acoustic-Guitar-103574042-i1166296.gc
is it good for a beginer like me?should i get a cheaper one or go straight for an electric one?
thank you
tj
Depends what kinda music you want to play. If you want to develop a better ear for the music and get your fingers in shape then stick with the acoustic for now. Fender does not make the best acoustics but what you got looks aight for now, might as well keep it. I started with a Yamaha acoustic, nothing fancy but good beginner guitars. When you are ready to tear up the fret board go for the electric and then fender could be your best friend.
it depends on what you wanna play. acoustic electric and electric are very different. get the one you wanna play the most not this in between s.h.i.t, youll regret it.(unless you just want an acoustic electric) as far as the acoustic goes and you could get something better than that for less; like a takamine for acoustic electric or a ovation for acoustic. they might be a little more expensive but if its not by much just save your money cause youll learn the difference between a good guitar and not soon and youll regret "just buying one"
It's good to learn originally on an acoustic. If you start with an electric, you'll be lazy when fretting and your technique will be horrible. You don't need a $400 guitar, but if you like it by all means stick with it.
Quote by dylanzig
Fender does not make the best acoustics

thats a matter of opinion personally i play Yamaha on acoustic but u cant really generalize like that its up to the induvidual guitar player...
break on through
Last edited by stigmeister2win at Dec 10, 2008,
Quote by stigmeister2win
thats a matter of opinion personally i play Yamaha on acoustic but u cant really generalize like that its up to the induvidual guitar player...

Ok, let me put it this way. In my experience most acoustic guitarists that I have encountered prefer brands such as Yamaha, Taylor, Martin, Takamine, and Gibson. I play a Seagull acoustic and love it to death. Fender is more well known for their electric guitars. If you find a Fender acoustic you like then good job.
Quote by dylanzig
Depends what kinda music you want to play. If you want to develop a better ear for the music and get your fingers in shape then stick with the acoustic for now. Fender does not make the best acoustics but what you got looks aight for now, might as well keep it. I started with a Yamaha acoustic, nothing fancy but good beginner guitars. When you are ready to tear up the fret board go for the electric and then fender could be your best friend.

uhm...i used to be a hardcore fan of rap but then i realized that all they talk about is money, girls, big cars and nothing else besides that...boring.....and nothing meaningfull then...like.. last month i started to listen to linkin park, lifehouse, ...and other rock bands...uhm...what kind of rock is that? sorry my knowledge about rock is limited so....im not a fan of hardcore, punk or emo rock so.....
i wanna start a band already even tho im just a beginer..hahahhah
thanks for the advices
tj
Quote by L.O.S.S
uhm...i used to be a hardcore fan of rap but then i realized that all they talk about is money, girls, big cars and nothing else besides that...

First off you need to turn off MTV and get hold of some real rap cause that statement is just about as wrong as anything could ever be.

As for the guitar... An acoustic might force you to learn better technique from the beginning, since it's harder to hide your mistakes. But if you want to play electric guitar music then get an electric guitar. You'll have more fun with it for sure since that's what you really want to play... more fun = spending more time with it = getting better technique anyways.
Like everyone said, acoustics you could get better techniques from blahblahblah. (I'm not going over that point for the 20th time.)
I say if you want to play electric, go back and get an electric. Fender makes really good electrics. You should start off with a Stratocaster, or a Telecaster if you're going to buy one.
That or a Gibson Les Paul Standard.

Quote by L.O.S.S.
uhm...i used to be a hardcore fan of rap but then i realized that most of them only talk about money, girls, big cars, weed, alcohol and nothing else besides that...

Fixed it.
Quote by J.Bass.M

I don't care about the f***ing radius of the f***ing inlay.
Last edited by TheMeltdown at Dec 10, 2008,
Heh, I dont care for most mainstream rap (I live on the west coast so i deal with the "Yay Area" rap.) which you are right, is crap, but there is good rap out there. People like Mike Shinota (From Linkin Park) did a solo thing called Fort Minor, look into it. I love his rap, full of heart and meaning.

So learning on an electric could make you "lazy" with the fact that on an acoustic you cant hide any of your mistakes piratically. You have to fret each string, hold them down and not let up a little or it will buzz, learn proper hand techniques and even strumming. You cant use distortion to hide your mistakes (Nothing against distortion, just a lot of people use it to hide their mistakes. Distortion is great...in moderation with your genre.).

Linkin park is alternative, not sure about the others. Rock tends to use electric guitars, but a lot of bands today are also known for some acoustic songs or acoustic versions of songs. Nickelback uses acoustic guitars a lot, so does Escape the Fate (A post-hardcore band) has a song here and there with acoustic. Acoustic guitars can play a lot of songs but are slightly limited in terms of sounds. If you like the kind of sounds and music that is played with an acoustic, go for it, but if you feel discontent with learning acoustic go ahead and get an electric. A lot of people will recommend learning on an acoustic due to the above mentioned reasons but if you dont like it and want an electric, do it. Might be a little harder in the long run but you will at least like what you are doing. Its not "wrong" to do that. You might have a hard time transitioning to an acoustic later because its harder but you will have a slightly more difficult time even if you started with it. Difference is, you will have fun with that electric when your beginning.

So yeah, in the end, get the one that suits you. And an acoustic is a lot cheaper than an acoustic-electric. Is there a reason you got an acoustic-electric? Do you plan on plugging it into an amp? If the answer is no, get a regular acoustic. Usually the only reason people have an acoustic electric is for gigs or lets say playing it in a church over the PA. You can always install or hook up a mic or pickup on a regular acoustic if you wanted to do that too. And then you can even switch it around acoustics and stuff. Just IMO. Have fun with whatever you want to learn though.
Quote by vekktarn

But if you want to play electric guitar music then get an electric guitar. You'll have more fun with it for sure since that's what you really want to play... more fun = spending more time with it = getting better technique anyways.

Well, for me, this is a huuuge +1. The whole object of this "Doing Things With Guitars" exercise is to flippin' well have fun. Yeah, there's a whole load of other reasons for doing it, but if you're not enjoying it then why bother? If your heart's set on an electric, get an electric. If you want to go the accoustic route first, then go that way.

Once definate word of advice though - you <distorted commanding voice> DON'T HAVE TO SPEND YOUR ENTIRE BUDGET ON YOUR FIRST GUITAR, BECAUSE IF YOU KEEP PLAYING, YOU'LL END UP JUST BUYING MORE GUITARS AND RELATED STUFF, OR IF YOU FIND YOU DON'T ENJOY IT YOU WON'T HAVE WASTED SO MUCH MONEY </distorted commanding voice>

*cough*

Quote by vekktarn
As for the guitar... An acoustic might force you to learn better technique from the beginning, since it's harder to hide your mistakes.

Not disagreeing with you - I'm a n00b after all, and so therefore kinda can't - but in my decidedly limited experience, electric (or, more to the point, gain...) just lets you hide different mistakes to accoustic. For electric players who use any amount of gain, the whole issue of muting unwanted strings is decidedly important, and something you really can't (in my experience, anyway) even attempt to learn with an accoustic.
Oh, now I've gone and spilled my tea. This really won't do at all.
Acoustics are better to start on, cuz you have to learn good techinique, and you cant hide mistakes, so it helps you learn to play better cuz its easier to hear when you mess up, while on electric, distorted, if you make a small mistake, you probably ain't guna notice it by ear, you might feel the mistake in your fingers, but you probably won't hear it. Also, the string tension is noticeably higher, and harder to fret, grab chords, barre, etc. While an electric have low string tension, and everything is easier to play. For Ex. I play an acoustic (I've been playing for a total of like >3 months) and when I pick up ANY electric, its a lot easier to play and can sound a lot better. While if you start on electric, you might pick up an acoustic, try to play something, and the strings always buzz, cuz you never learned on an acoustic, and you're too lazy to actually try.

So START on acoustic, and from there, pick what guitar you like according to what kind of music you like/play.
Here are some examples

Acoustic: Fingerstyle, Bluegrass, Hawaiian Slack Key, etc...

Electric: Rock, Metal, Jazz, etc...