hey guys
im looking for a new amp.. but dont really know where to start.. i play rock.. punk and a bit of metal and stuff.. but i also like a nice clean tone aswell.. im looking spend 800-900 AUD.. anyone got any suggestions as to what to look at that will suit me?
Thanks
Quote by srq89
yeah easily, I took on one of my uncles who's suppose to be the strongest in the family and has the hottest wife. Tamed him like my bitch and then wacked off afterward thinking about his wife.

All in all, a very productive day.
Judging from the gear you have now, your next step is something like a line 6 spider valve or a Vox Valvetronix. Those are great first REAL amps. They have decent tone with tube like harmonics and compression and also have many different tonal options between the different amp models and build in effects.
Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM 900
peavey 5150

Mesa 4x12
oh ok.. yer i have looked at the line 6 spiders before.. but i have heard alot of negative things about them..
Quote by srq89
yeah easily, I took on one of my uncles who's suppose to be the strongest in the family and has the hottest wife. Tamed him like my bitch and then wacked off afterward thinking about his wife.

vox valvetronix series

peavey vyper series

roland cube series

all metally starter amps, but with a sufficient wattage for jamming etc.
STAY AWAY FROM SPIDERS AND MARSHALL MG SERIES.
just trust me. with those amps, you get what you pay for. your next step after that should be saving up to get a tube amp in the 1000-1500 AUD range. do not buy any pedals before you get your tube amp. it is a huge waste of money.

now that should cover you for the next 12-18 months
i have a mate that told me that the marshall AVT50X amps are good.. anyone got one of those or heard much bout them?
Quote by srq89

the spider valves do not equal the digital spider III series.

spider III's = digital
spider valve = not digital
Quote by georgakis187
vox valvetronix series

peavey vyper series

roland cube series

all metally starter amps, but with a sufficient wattage for jamming etc.
STAY AWAY FROM SPIDERS AND MARSHALL MG SERIES.
just trust me. with those amps, you get what you pay for. your next step after that should be saving up to get a tube amp in the 1000-1500 AUD range. do not buy any pedals before you get your tube amp. it is a huge waste of money.

now that should cover you for the next 12-18 months

+1

I've only tried the Vypyr, but I've read the others are nice. I'd say try them all out and pick the best one for you (you should always try first when possible, though I'm kind of a hypocrite in that respect).

I don't know what kind of inflation there is there, but you might be able to snag a used tube amp if there's availability. I've read, though, that it's generally difficult to find stuff like that in Australia.
they're good for your price range...in fact theres a 100 watt AVT100X going on ebay for $600 that im bidding on...finishes in an hour or so...

working on how much i should bid...not much time so i gotta be smart on this one...
yo.

I BELIEVE
Quote by SpeedLives
the spider valves do not equal the digital spider III series.

spider III's = digital
spider valve = not digital

spider 3 =digital ****e
spider valve = equally ****e with a nice bogner badge on it

i first played a spider valve in a store with a les paul just to try it out, hated it...then i switched to a telecaster and didn´t hear nearly any difference at all in the sound...now you tell me if that is true valve feeling?
Because footstools are cool - UG's Classical Guitarists

[quote="'']Congratulations! You have won the award for the most irrelevant thing ever said in a thread!
AVT's are crap. my school has an AVT100 and my god the amp is sooooo crap. no warmth at all and its been beaten up pretty bad. also, its a hybrid so u know ur getting ripped off.

Spider Valve are ok. If i remember right, the clean channel was quite warm and the rest of the channels sounded pretty good. Insane had some pretty good tone coming out of it. though the effects are ok. worth if u can afford it, otherwise look at other options.

Definately go tube as far as the next amp ur getting. the tone out of most tube amps are very commendable. also u might wanna get one before the year ends or just after new years day. otherwise, all them amps are gonna go up in price regardless of how cheap they are.
i have a modest rig which consists of guitar related stuff
Member of the Laney Cult
Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.

my band : Fragments.
The advice this forum gives is pretty crap IMO.
"Don't get pedals till you have a tube amp. Waste of money."

Tube amps are pretty much geared towards audiophiles. The sound difference is ridiculously exaggerated. I admit, tube amps sound better in general than solid state amps. But bang for your buck? I think not. Not everyone who plays guitar plans on becoming a touring musician. Therefore a good, small solid state amp is sufficient for a lot of peoples' needs. IE; home practice & recording.

I currently don't have an amp at all (I hocked it on eBay) but I'm going to buy some effects pedals, because I can play through my USB audio interface into speakers or headphones. I can also use them for recording.

The vast majority of people on this forum are tube purists whose only advice is "Get a huge 100W $5000 amp or you will sound crap." No matter what the question/situation is.

Pretty rubbish "help" IMO. Just sayin'.
The below is false.
The above is true.

*world implodes*
Quote by punkman_123
Tube amps are pretty much geared towards audiophiles. The sound difference is ridiculously exaggerated. I admit, tube amps sound better in general than solid state amps. But bang for your buck? I think not.
I used to play through a Marshall G100R Head and matching 4x12 cab (basically a pre-cursor to the MG series).
I now play through a Laney VC-30 which has upgraded tubes & speaker.

The Marshall cost me £478 back in 2000.
The Laney cost me (including tubes + speaker) ~£390 almost a year ago.

The sound quality + volume of the Laney pisses all over the Marshall and was a fair chunk cheaper, not to mention the Laney isn't even end a high-end amp. Plus it's 8 and a half years on!

So no, it's not an exaggeration and you can get "band for your buck". (damn I hate that phrase!)